Roseanne Forums

ABC (ended 1997)

10 going on 12 -- Inconsistencies

Heist81

[1]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 10
    If there's one thing that bugs me about the show, it's that DJ apparently skipped being 11.

In the Season 4 episode, "The Back Story", it's DJ's birthday, and Dan says "I wanted to make him feel special, it's his 10th birthday." I thought it might have just been an incorrect line, but however, in "Aliens", after DJ wins the spelling bee, Darlene says, "How does it feel to peak at 10?"

Fast forward to Season 5, the episode where Roseanne's father passes away, at the very beginning of the episode, DJ comes downstairs with a contract that he wrote as a little kid that says when he turns 12, he can do whatever he wants, and he says "My birthday is on Monday."

Any glaring inconsistencies that annoy you?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SparkleFarkle

[2]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 45
    I never picked up on that before.  Roseanne had a lot of good writers coursing through its veins;  too bad they didn't take the time to pay attention to the details.  God, they had to know they had a hit on their hands, right from the start.  They had to know that stuff like that would matter to us "fan"atics!  Yep.  That sort of thing does annoy me!  (*snarling as she signs off*) 

Heist81

[3]Jan 10, 2007
    Very well said Sparkle. I agree, other then the last season, the writing on the show was amazing, and despite a couple of major holes like this, I thought the continuity was pretty good for a sitcom.

txgirl75

[4]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 23
    They do that on all shows. THe kids are one age and then 2 years older. They even did that to Darlene in season 1 she was 11 then season 2 she was 13. I don't know why they do that. I guess they think us fans don't pay attention.

Heist81

[5]Jan 10, 2007
    txgirl75 wrote:
    They do that on all shows. THe kids are one age and then 2 years older. They even did that to Darlene in season 1 she was 11 then season 2 she was 13. I don't know why they do that. I guess they think us fans don't pay attention.

I guess so. I was thinking maybe they adjusted it because they thought the kids didn't look that age anymore. I think Sara Gilbert is the same age as Lecy Goranson isn't she? So I can see why they made her a year older, but I didn't think Michael Fishman looked that different between seasons 4-6.

txgirl75

[6]Jan 11, 2007
    • level: 23
    Both Lecy and Sarah are the same as. DJ really didn't change much during season 4 and 6.

SparkleFarkle

[7]Jan 11, 2007
    Heist81 wrote:
    Very well said Sparkle. I agree, other then the last season, the writing on the show was amazing, and despite a couple of major holes like this, I thought the continuity was pretty good for a sitcom.
    Thank you! Yeah, the writing was incredible. Nothing has compared to it since.  And, even though I'm not a fan of Tom Arnold, The Stand-up Comedian, I have to admit, his stuff was darn good, too.  I missed his input after he left. 

Heist81

[8]Jan 11, 2007
    I don't hate Tom Arnold, I actually kind of liked him as the goofy Arnie sometimes. In the big picture, it was a stupid role and the whole drama between their marriage is embarassing, but by itself, I laughed at some of the things with Arnie on the show, like when he first comes back after leaving Nancy, and he finds out she's a lesbian..

Him and Dan and their friends are all playing poker, and Ty Tilden says "I have a straight" and Arnie flips out, "Straight?! Is that a crack about my ex wife?" and then the other guy puts down his cards and says "Pair of ladies" and Arnie stands up and tries to rush the guy. Stupid humor but it got a chuckle out of me.

Anyway, I digress. I do think the writing was overall better when Tom Arnold was around, and he did write one of my favorite episodes, "PMS I love you".

SparkleFarkle

[9]Jan 11, 2007
    Heist81 wrote:
    I don't hate Tom Arnold, I actually kind of liked him as the goofy Arnie sometimes. In the big picture, it was a stupid role and the whole drama between their marriage is embarassing, but by itself, I laughed at some of the things with Arnie on the show, like when he first comes back after leaving Nancy, and he finds out she's a lesbian..

Him and Dan and their friends are all playing poker, and Ty Tilden says "I have a straight" and Arnie flips out, "Straight?! Is that a crack about my ex wife?" and then the other guy puts down his cards and says "Pair of ladies" and Arnie stands up and tries to rush the guy. Stupid humor but it got a chuckle out of me.

Anyway, I digress. I do think the writing was overall better when Tom Arnold was around, and he did write one of my favorite episodes, "PMS I love you".
    Yeah, I liked the flavor of Tom Arnold's writing.

cheesecakehead

[10]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 17
    I noticed that too with DJ "10 going on 12" as you said. But, the problem lies in that in the season 4 episode, "The Back Story" revolving around DJ's birthday, DJ should have been turning 11 not 10. The way I always remember it is DJ's grade is one higher than the season of the show. Example being, DJ is a freshmen in high school, 9th grade, in season 8. Also, it is noted on the show that the year of DJ's birth is 1981. Just in my opinion, I think the reason they had him celebrating his 10th birthday was because they had the character of DJ appear younger than his actual age and he actually looked young too.

ct02809sb

[11]Dec 14, 2009
    • level: 5

Gee, maybe this explains why Dan was confused.

I remember an episode where Dan didn't think he needed to go to D.J.'s parent-teacher conference because what could they tell him about a 3rd grader that's so important?

Roseanne: "That he's in the FOURTH grade!"

meteor12

[12]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 2

Episode 10 of Season 8 where Roseanne is filming something for the baby confuses the hell out of me since she references him as still being unborn, yet he was actually born 6 episodes earlier.

Am I missing something?

ChipsTheButler

[13]Dec 6, 2011
    • level: 9
    It went back in for a small break.

wheelrchair

[14]Mar 11, 2012
    • level: 15
    In the episode, Confessions Roseanne was told she was ordinary, did Roseanne forget that she used to like writing poetry. With a talent like that, she could become a famous author or a poet.

ChipsTheButler

[15]Mar 17, 2012
    • level: 9
    Maybe the poetry was crap.