Roseanne Forums

ABC (ended 1997)

A did you know? about Laurie Metcalf in season 1

jjc92787

[1]Aug 17, 2009
    • level: 7
    I posted this to the trivia section for the first episode last night, but I wanted to know if anyone had heard this or knew this before. In the supermarket I work in, we have TV monitors by the registers that show "Checkout TV" and one segment that's on it is called TV Land Food for Thought where some facts about TV shows currently on TV Land are shown. Yesterday they talked about actresses who had to wear wigs by producer's request on early episodes of TV shows, One of them was Laurie Metcalf, who was asked to wear a curly-haired wig on the first few episodes so that she could look more like Roseanne's actual sister. So, what we were seeing early on was not really her hair!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Aug 18, 2009
    • level: 63
    Speaking of which...for those of you who didn't know, Laurie Melcalf was a cast member on "Saturday Night Live" for precisely one episode. She was hired during a cast overhaul in 1981, then was let go in the midst of a WGA strike that year.

txgirl75

[3]Aug 19, 2009
    • level: 23
    Wow that's interesting about her wearing a wig and being on Saturday night live.

ct02809sb

[4]Nov 25, 2009
    • level: 5
    I didn't know it was a wig. I did suspect that they made her hair look like Roseanne's on purpose, though, so we would accept them as sisters at the beginning.