Roseanne Forums

ABC (ended 1997)

Final episode/season

phatty_jr86

[1]Oct 7, 2006
    • level: 11
    I didn't get a chance to see the final episode until 2003. Up to that point I didn't really care for the last season. I didn't hate it, but it just wasn't "Roseanne" to me. Then I saw the final episode and it seemed to validate the whole 9th season. It made everything make more sense and made me appreciate it more. It's still my least favorite season, but it not that bad to me. Does anybody feel the same way? Or is it just me. Just wondering
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kayrocs30

[2]Oct 7, 2006
    • level: 3
    Yeh I sort of was like that way too. I think that the last episode evened it out a little after all the craziness had gone on. But I still think that the 15 minute monolog should have just been skipped that made me kind of confused

tansydog

[3]Oct 8, 2006
    • level: 4
    I thought the final episode was brilliant and made up for the silly lottery stuff

Roll on the day when we can get it on DVD!

janiceday

[4]Apr 3, 2007
    • level: 6

Does anyone else wish that they had done the finale in a way that allowed for a reunion that included Dan?

Actually, as I'm saying this... I realize that they still could if Roseanne (the writer of the monologue in the finale) wrote a sequel to her book and continued Dan as one of her characters.

I'd LOVE to see that!

Heist81

[5]Apr 3, 2007
    • level: 10
    A lot of people who are skeptical of the last season's quality think that the finale was a cop-out to make up for the bad ratings they got with the last season. But I think it was planned from the start, and I think it was brilliant.

jessica492

[6]Apr 3, 2007
    • level: 5
    I didn't get the last episode. Was it all fake?

jjc92787

[7]Apr 3, 2007
    • level: 7
    Basically, all of the 9th season and the last episode of season 8 was all fake.

ct02809sb

[8]Apr 4, 2007
    janiceday wrote:

Does anyone else wish that they had done the finale in a way that allowed for a reunion that included Dan?

Actually, as I'm saying this... I realize that they still could if Roseanne (the writer of the monologue in the finale) wrote a sequel to her book and continued Dan as one of her characters.

I'd LOVE to see that!

I like to pretend that I don't know the "real" Conner family and only know the people and events in Roseanne's book.

jessica492

[9]Apr 4, 2007
    But during the monolouge(sp?) she was talking about Arnie, and she says, "I don't know what happened to him, but in my book I sent him into space." So that was like season 3 or 4. So I thought the whole series was her book she was writing.

phatty_jr86

[10]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 11
    I always thought that from the end of the second season, when Dan and the kids made the basement into an office for Roseanne, to the end of the series was fiction.

jjc92787

[11]Apr 5, 2007
    I think only the things Roseanne specifically mentioned being part of her book are part of the book.  Not the entire series or entire season, just the parts mentioned.

Heist81

[12]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 10
    jjc92787 wrote:
    I think only the things Roseanne specifically mentioned being part of her book are part of the book. Not the entire series or entire season, just the parts mentioned.

Yeah, that's always what I believed.

tcarreon

[13]Apr 12, 2007
    jjc92787 wrote:
    I think only the things Roseanne specifically mentioned being part of her book are part of the book.  Not the entire series or entire season, just the parts mentioned.

Then the entire series should be fiction, since Roseanne says that Jackie always maintained that she was a lesbian, but Roseanne refused to believe it. Never in the series is Jackie portrayed as anything but heterosexual, even to the point of having slept with over 60 men.

I've always maintained that the entire series was fiction. The first season being the closest to "reality" and becoming more fictionalized as life throws more and more curve balls at her, ending up with the final season the least closest to reality. Face it, Roseanne is a control freak and does not like to be left on the sidelines to watch as life passes by. If she can not control her real life, she would want absolute control over her fictional life. I know I am in the minority with this view.

I think the general consensus, on this message board at least, is that seasons 1 and seasons 2 are "real." Once Roseanne got the writing room, she began her book with season 3. Another popular theory is that only season 9 is fiction.

Hopefully, the DVDs for season 9 will contain the final answer, though I doubt this topic will ever die. =)

jjc92787

[14]Apr 12, 2007
    tcarreon wrote:
    Then the entire series should be fiction, since Roseanne says that Jackie always maintained that she was a lesbian, but Roseanne refused to believe it. Never in the series is Jackie portrayed as anything but heterosexual, even to the point of having slept with over 60 men.

No. The entire show was not about Jackie being shown as straight instead of really being a lesbian. Jackie's sexual orientation was only one part of the show when the book begins. Placing a man where a woman would be with Jackie during the show does not mean that the whole series is fiction.

tcarreon

[15]Apr 12, 2007
    jjc92787 wrote:
    No. The entire show was not about Jackie being shown as straight instead of really being a lesbian. Jackie's sexual orientation was only one part of the show when the book begins. Placing a man where a woman would be with Jackie during the show does not mean that the whole series is fiction.

There are too many "this or that" scenarios in my mind for the entire series to be fact with only the 8 or 9 things Roseanne mentions to be fiction. 
    How did Jackie get pregnant on a first date with a woman? If Jackie was dating a woman instead of "Fisher" did her girlfriend beat her up? If so, did Dan still go beat "her" up? Which couple moved to the trailer? David and Becky or Mark and Darlene? Was David the sensitive brother or was David the rebel? When did Darlene and Mark get together? Was she already dating David then started going out with Mark? If so, did Mark move to Chicago to be with Darlene? Does that mean that Becky and David eloped? If that's true, then did he later get the job at Eidelweise Garden as Hans the Bunny, or was that Mark? It would seem to be a strange job for Mark, unless he wasn't a mechanic. Did he work at the Garage with Dan or did David? If David and Becky got married, who jacked the trailer up when the toilet started to overflow? Was Prince Carlos really a princess? 
    It just opens a whole can of worms to pick and choose only a few things as "fiction" and claim everything else is reality.
    Edited on 04/12/2007 8:20pm

jjc92787

[16]Apr 14, 2007
    Nobody really knows. Maybe someone who helped with the final episode could come on here and fully detail what was fake and what was true in the series because of the finale. I just don't think the finally should be ignored or it should be assumed that the whole show or season 3 on was fake. Season 9 is the only truly made up season as far as we really know.