Roseanne Forums

ABC (ended 1997)

Home Sweet Home - The Conner House

SparkleFarkle

[1]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 45

As in the case with many TV sitcoms, the family home is where most of the action takes place.  With the Conners, the focus is usually the kitchen and living room.  Invariably, someone is a on the couch in front of the televison set, and there is always plenty to hash over (food or otherwise) around the dining table.  Home Sweet Home!  It's a comfortable place to be!

What are your favorite Roseanne household features or set "specifics"?  Is it the "Dogs Playing Poker" picture hanging on the wall?  How about that infeasibly long-corded, mounted telephone (with Becky dangling from it)?  Or, is it the hand grenade that sometimes appears on the kitchen window sill? 

Feel free to list your dislikes, too-- or any room "inconsistencies" you've noticed, suggest different set arrangements, etc.  Jackie's, Bev's, Dalene's apartment, etc. are welcome in the discussion also.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Heist81

[2]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 10
    One thing I noticed is that there was a little inconsistency with DJ's room. Sometimes people would enter from the left side, which I always believed lead to the bathroom that all the kids shared, and sometimes they entered through the door on the right, which I always assumed was the door to the hallway outside. For example, in the last episode of Season 2, Dan comes in through the left door when he's looking for Roseanne. I guess he just went through the bathroom, but it always kinda bugged me.

But I really like their house, it's pretty small but it's comfortable. I'd love to have a house like that for when I have my own family. If the Conner house were real, I think I would know where everything was already, just from watching the show so much (except maybe the vacuum )

SparkleFarkle

[3]Apr 15, 2007

Heist81 wrote:
    If the Conner house were real, I think I would know where everything was already, just from watching the show so much (except maybe the vacuum )
    This is the way the Conner house and mine are alike! About rooms changing: Darlene's apartment bathroom seemed to have legs, as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed to relocate on occasion.

Another prop I am fond of is that ruffly looking lamp to the right of the front door.  It reminds me of a style I wanted for my bedroom when I was little.  That lamp is turned on much of the time which seems odd since its location makes it virtually impossible to light anything.  Maybe it was on to add to the "warmth" of the home, kind of like the jar of pickled eggs.

tcarreon

[4]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 7
    Heist81 wrote:
    If the Conner house were real, I think I would know where everything was already, just from watching the show so much (except maybe the vacuum )

It's in the closet next to the big window. Roseanne was seen vaccuming once while she was unemployed. Jackie came over to give her some milk and Roseanne then went searching through the sofa cushions for spare change, after putting the vacuum away.

Remember when Bev gave Roseanne her old sofa. It just looked SOOO out of place sitting there. I'm glad they hated it.

SparkleFarkle

[5]Apr 15, 2007
    tcarreon wrote:
    Heist81 wrote:
    It's in the closet next to the big window. Roseanne was seen vaccuming once while she was unemployed. Jackie came over to give her some milk and Roseanne then went searching through the sofa cushions for spare change, after putting the vacuum away.
    She may have put it away for good! For some reason, I always like the laundry room (maybe because I seem to do it for a living). I like how if someone is in it, they can still talk to people in the kitchen via the window, but not have to really be a part of what's going on there. I like my own "space." I like that little cupboard where Dan stashed all the junk food out of sight, too. Off-topic: I never liked Jackie's fringed and decorated sweaters and western/cowboy influenced shirts. Spare me!
    Edited on 04/15/2007 1:49pm

arionlappy

[6]Apr 16, 2007
    • level: 12

Well who can forget that afghan on the back of Roseanne's couch! Gotta love that one!

I also like Dan and Roseanne's bathroom for some reason- it was small but not too small. I just love picturing Jackie sitting in the bathtub when they got stoned- "It's just me and my ganja!"

And I definitely appreciated the Blues Traveler poster in DJ's room towards the end of the series- a nice tribute I'd say.

EvansvilleIN

[7]Apr 16, 2007
    • level: 6
    What I like most about the house is it's location!  It is here!  I like to drive by every once in a while just to see what's going on.  I was even inside the house once, a few years ago when they had an auction.  It has changed hands several times since.

txgirl75

[8]Apr 16, 2007
    • level: 23
    EvansvilleIN wrote:
    What I like most about the house is it's location!  It is here!  I like to drive by every once in a while just to see what's going on.  I was even inside the house once, a few years ago when they had an auction.  It has changed hands several times since.
    Really how neat

Heist81

[9]Apr 16, 2007
    arionlappy wrote:

Well who can forget that afghan on the back of Roseanne's couch! Gotta love that one!

I also like Dan and Roseanne's bathroom for some reason- it was small but not too small. I just love picturing Jackie sitting in the bathtub when they got stoned- "It's just me and my ganja!"

And I definitely appreciated the Blues Traveler poster in DJ's room towards the end of the series- a nice tribute I'd say.

I just noticed that poster in DJ's room yesterday in a Season 8 episode, cool stuff.

SparkleFarkle

[10]Apr 22, 2007
    I always thought it was great for DJ to be able to have such a big bedroom and not have to share it with anyone (accept, later on, when Jackie hurt her back, and babies started arriving).  WOW! what a lot of traffic signs!  I wonder how he got them all-- I remember my sister snagging a sign like one of those when she was in high school.  My mom went through the roof because of the illegalities of it all.  Our town use to hold amnesty days for people to return "borrowed"signs, no questions asked, because the city just wanted them back (expensive to tax payers, I guess).  I wonder how much money DJ has tied up in his room?
    Edited on 04/22/2007 10:08am

tcarreon

[11]Apr 22, 2007
    • level: 7
    SparkleFarkle wrote:
    I always thought it was great for DJ to be able to have such a big bedroom...WOW! what a lot of traffic signs! I wonder how he got them all-- I wonder how much money DJ has tied up in his room?

That was actually addressed in one of the episodes. Dan was up in DJ's room and they were chatting. Dan asked how he got them and DJ said he just found them. Dan told DJ "Yeah, I used to find mine all the time too, 'cept they were stuck to the top of poles."

Heist81

[12]Apr 22, 2007
    I liked that episode, DJ trying to explain where he found the signs was funny.

"You know how you're walking down the street sometimes, and then you look down.. and there's a sign!"

And Dan gives an awesome sarcastic/surprised look.

SparkleFarkle

[13]Apr 22, 2007
    Can you remember which episode it is?-- it sounds like it would be well worth the watch!

Heist81

[14]Apr 22, 2007
    That was in "Honor Thy Mother" in Season 9. Who says the last season doesn't have some funny moments?

SparkleFarkle

[15]Apr 23, 2007
    Heist81 wrote:
    That was in "Honor Thy Mother" in Season 9. Who says the last season doesn't have some funny moments?
    Thanks, Heist, I'll have to watch for it!

lmn927

[16]Apr 24, 2007
    • level: 1
    Can you please give us the address of the real Roseanne house? I would be neat to visit it sometime if I were traveling. I have been to the Cosby home and the Friends house in NY so I'd like to add Roseanne's place to the list!

SparkleFarkle

[17]Apr 24, 2007
    lmn927 wrote:
    Can you please give us the address of the real Roseanne house? I would be neat to visit it sometime if I were traveling. I have been to the Cosby home and the Friends house in NY so I'd like to add Roseanne's place to the list!
    The address of the house used in the stills is 619 South Runnymede (or Runnymeade?) Avenue in Evansville, Indiana. The Lobo is/was a pizzaria located at the corner of Edgar and Louisiana. If this isn't right, maybe EvansvilleIN will get on the horn and make the correction-- he's from that area! There use to be an online site with lots of external pictures of both locations, but I haven't been successful at tracking it down again-- RATS!
    Edited on 02/22/2008 4:51am
    Edited 2 total times.

Heist81

[18]Apr 24, 2007
    I just saw a bunch of pics of the house and Lobo on sitcomsonline, I think it was. The Lobo is now a pizzeria.

EvansvilleIN

[19]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 6

Sparkle, was it my photo album you saw?  Here is a link to pictures I took of the buildings I could find here.  Someone has copied my pictures and added them on other websites, but these are all mine (I own the negatives if that's any proof).

http://photos.yahoo.com/evansvilleandy

I bought the old picture of the house at the auction they had several years ago at the house.  It shows the house before the upstairs was added.  There is one picture I copied off ebay of someone here in Evansville on an old Harley, and I thought it looked a lot like Dan.  The rest are taken off my TV screen.  I posted these pictures on the old tv tome site and a person there copied them and said "he found" the Lobo, this was after I had posted the pictures and told everyone where it was.  If you look close at the picture of the Lobo from Roseanne, you can see the "Edgar" road sign, that is how I found it.  Still looking for some of the other buildings, like the plastic plants.  I like eating at the little diner, they have great breaded Tenderloins, and fried mushrooms.  That is on Fulton Ave. near the plastic factories that may have been used in some of the still shots.  They altered the picture, but you can still see the unusual sign.  It is in the episode where Roseanne goes out to cool off, and gets a cold cup of coffee.  I got the light shown in the picture because it use to be on the front porch before it was remodelled.  It is not shown in any pictures on the house though.  That was from the same auction.  I tried to find something that reminded me of the show.  I was hoping to find an afgan.  Last Saturday, I did finally get a "granny quilt" afgan at another auction.  I also got the original instructions on how to make them.

Edited on 04/25/2007 10:40am

lmn927

[20]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 1
    Thanks so much for sharing the link to the photos. It was really cool to see the old pic of the house before the second floor was added.