Roseanne Forums

ABC (ended 1997)

new show...

tcarreon

[1]Oct 13, 2011
    • level: 7
    just saw the news that NBC has committed to a pilot for a new roseanne barr show called "downwardly mobile" about a working class blue collar family struggling to make ends meet - created by roseanne barr, exec produced and written by eric gilliland - who worked on "Roseanne." to say i am excited is an extreme understatement!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SparkleFarkle

[3]Oct 14, 2011
    • level: 45

Thanks for this great heads up! I'm quite excitey about the news as well, because, man, oh, man, Roseanne's latest adventure (Roseanne's Nuts) just didn't cut the mustard, did it? And I had such high hopes...

Here's a link to a smitch more about Downardly Mobile: http://backseatcuddler.com/2011/10/11/roseanne-barr-lands-new-tv-show-downwardly-mobile-at-nbc/, part of which reads: "The actress and comedienne's new concept Downwardly Mobile, has been sold for a script commitment with a penalty attached (if the pilot isn't made.)" That stipulation sounds so "Roseanne Barr," dudn't it? LOL!

maxandcali

[4]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 5

That sounds intresting. Does anyone know if she'll be staring in it as well, and if so, will her character possibly be someone with now grown up children and maybe some grandkids as well? That may be part of my possible guess. She's a little older now, it would be kind of hard for her to pass as a mom with kids from grade schoolto middle school aged. Also, will it be set to start premeiring sometime next year?

tcarreon

[5]Feb 12, 2012
    as i posted in a previous thread...

1. roseanne is the star of the show
    2. the show is about a mobile home community and the "weird" and/or blue-collar working-class people who live in it
    3. some reports are roseanne is the owner of the park, some reports are roseanne is merely a resident of the park
    4. eric gilliland (former Roseanne writer and exec producer) is attached as writer, exec producer
    5. john goodman is either (depending on which report you read) in final negotiations or has officially signed on to co-star - though not as her husband

one of the most recent synopsis i have read states:

The sitcom, which Barr is also co-creator of, will feature Barr as the owner of a trailer park as a "surrogate mother to all of the unique people who live there in a challenging economy" and Goodman as a friend of Barr's who also works in the park.
    Edited on 02/12/2012 3:51pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ChipsTheButler

[6]Feb 19, 2012
    • level: 9
    I've heard that the first episode starts with an abortion :O

tcarreon

[7]Feb 22, 2012
    while i doubt the first episode starts with an abortion, roseanne has never been one to shy away from "controversial" topics so there's at least a chance that that rumor is true. my doubt however stems from the fact that it's simply a pilot, and for a pilot to get picked up, it needs to appeal to the network so they can trot it out for advertisers in may. i can't see too many advertisers signing up for a show that begins with such an in-your-face topic.