Roseanne Forums

ABC (ended 1997)

Sarah Chalke and Lecy/Comments on Season 8 and 9/Comment on Season 5 and 6 etc.

garbagerocks

[1]Jan 2, 2007
    • level: 1

So I got Season 5 and 6 on DVD for Christmas.  Season 5 is AMAZING so real.  But I don't think Becky should have been in the intro.  She's in like 5 episodes? I mean honestly.  Now in Season 6, I do think they gave Sarah Chalke a lot of character ... I don't see why people think they didn't.  She's on the show a lot.  I think she replaced Lecy Goransen well.

I haven't seen too much of Season 7 so I can't say that Sarah does well in that.  I've seen just a couple episodes but I think it was a bad move bringing Lecy back.  The problem with Lecy is that in Season 8 she plays a 21 year old that looks the same as she did when she was 15, lol.  So that's awkward as Sarah actually looked the part.  Sarah, IMO, was NOT too nice. In fact, a lot of the time she was a complete **** Lecy was barely on the show Season 8 anyway.  But when Lecy came back it was weird and the ratings did drop so I dunno.

Btw, I was watching the episode in Season 8 where Becky tells Mark she wants to get back on the pill etc. but I could have SWORN i saw the same episode with SARAH CHALKE.  I dunno ... It was a while ago.  But that was pretty weird. 

Season 8 kinda lacks a lot ... Especially the episode where David goes to work in that amusement park. That was unwatchable.  Dan is an ass in this season and totally unpleasant.  The show got sort of trashy and boring and reminded me too much of Married with Children.  I do really like the episode the fifties show though.

Season 9 was UNWATCHABLE.  It became the Roseanne and Jackie and the gay crew's show, lol (I am gay ... I'm just saying).   I really HATE it.  I tried to pretend it didn't happen.  Sarah Chalke got like nothing in this season, them winning the lottery was beyond dumb, the prince storyline was stupid, and the last episode is depressing and retarded. HONESTLY, just awful.

I also think it was in Season 7 where David and Becky get really close.  I do think Becky and Mark should have broken up at some point.  Maybe they would have if Season 9 had gone in a different direction.  But honestly most young people don't just have one real boyfriend and it usually doesn't last.  Besides, young marriages never last for the most part.  You know what I mean? And their marriage was really in the rocks.

It does suck that a lot of people didn't take to Sarah but that always happens when they replace an original.  I think she did a really good job, though.  What exactly has Roseanne said about her? Can someone give me a quote? Btw someone told me there is an episode where they have BOTH Beckys on there and there is a scene where the first Becky walks through the kitchen and DJ looks at her and then the second one does and then DJ looks all confused.   Is that true?

How many episodes was Sarah Chalke in Season 8 btw? I think the fact that they even brought her in to do any episodes is proof the cast didn't hate her maybe the way some people think they did.  Yes, I understand Lecy couldn't be there, but they could of made excuses instead but they still had Sarah there.  I dunno, you all, help me understand.
       Season 8 and 9 - It's just I feel the show was much less funny.  It became too much of a typical sitcom, you know what I mean? if it had been a normal show, it might have been fine, but it was Roseanne, a show that was funny yet very real, and it somehow lost both those qualities.  Season 9 got really dramatic but in an unrealistic way.  Dan would never have cheated on Roseanne IMO etc. etc.
        Even if a lot of you like Lecy better don't you think they should have left Sarah on there? I mean, people were probably just getting used to Sarah.  The constant switching got confusing.  I think because Lecy came back and then left again is why they marginalized Sarah so much in Season 9.  Having her there seemed kinda pointless.  But Darlene's not in this season too much either.  How many episodes are they both in in this season?

Edited on 01/03/2007 12:10am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Heist81

[2]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 10
    That was a well written post, and I'd like to welcome you to our little community here, glad to meet another Roseanne fan.

I liked Sarah's Becky and Mark together, I guess I grew accustomed to it when they returned on Season 6, but I've been watching some episodes in the later seasons with Lecy, and it seems like Lecy was trying to play off of Sarah's personality a little bit more, rather then the Becky we saw in the first 4 seasons. I didn't think she did a bad job or anything though.

If you click the Episodes tab, you can look up each episode by season, and find out which episodes each person was in, usually under the Notes it will say who doesn't appear in a certain episode, or just look under the credited cast.

dr_urbanus

[3]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 3
    Welcome to the group! Some random comments:

*They began marginalising the Becky character from at least Season 7 (particularly the second half), before Lecy came back. I do think Sarah did a good job in some Season 6 eps but it seems to me the producers realized quite early on that they didn't like her interpretation of Becky and so gave her less and less to do

*Yes they did bring Sarah back in Season 8 but only when the character needed to be there (namley the family vacation to Disneyland, Darlene's wedding... and even in these eps she didn't do a lot)

*the only ep the 2 actresses feature in together is 'Shower the People you Love' in Season 8 (Lecy's first episode back), in the 'Patty Duke' sketch at the end. There was a bit in the clip show 'All About Rosie' where a grown-up DJ has backflashes of 2 different Beckys and the joke is that this is what turned him crazy

*Apparently Roseanne said that Sarah didn't feel right in the role and that's why they sidelined the role later in the series. I've never seen this interview either though, only heard of it

*Sarah is only in about 6 eps in Season 9 (7 max), Darlene is missing a lot too but she's much more visible when she was there (Btw, I hate that season too, including the final ep which a lot of people like... I just pretend it never happened)

*I think they would have followed up the Becky / Mark in crisis storyline if Lecy had stayed but it just just died altogether with Lecy absent for most of late Season 8 and Sarah reprising the role, which was a shame

Heist81

[4]Jan 3, 2007
    dr_urbanus wrote:
    *I think they would have followed up the Becky / Mark in crisis storyline if Lecy had stayed but it just just died altogether with Lecy absent for most of late Season 8 and Sarah reprising the role, which was a shame

Did they ever have a conclusion to their problems in "Becky Howser, M.D." ? It ended on a down note, but the next episode had them playing Scrabble like nothing happened..

I was also thinking, I know I read in an interview with Roseanne that she always wanted the kids' educations to be first, and we definitely know that's why Becky left and why Darlene was off and on the show so much, but I noticed that DJ barely had any parts from Season 6 on either, other then a few episodes that focused on him here and there. I just noticed in the episodes from Season 7/8 that I've seen on Nick@Nite lately, he usually has 1 or 2 lines and that's it.

jjc92787

[5]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 7
    Lecy Goranson is still in the intro for season 5 because she was meant to be in more episodes. However, her schedule in college caused her to be too busy to do the show anymore than the few times she appeared.

I'm pretty sure there's an episode where Sarah Chalke also says "I want to go back on the pill" but it's a different one.

I never thought about the age thing with Lecy in season 8, but I can see your point. She doesn't really look that different from season 5 to season 8. Sarah did look more Becky's age. Personally, I don't like Sarah Chalke as Becky because she usually came across as fake to me. Lecy seemed like she was really Becky but Sarah always seemed like she was just playing Becky. I think the show liked her at first and wanted her to gel into the role of Becky but I guess they just didn't see it was happening so they minimized her role. It might have been an availability or contract thing also. When Sarah took over for Lecy in season 8 it was because Lecy was not available. Sarah did do a good job and did have pretty big shoes to fill. They probably gave Becky less screen time too because they needed to switch actresses. It probably just made things easier for everyone involved and it wouldn't be as easy to notice for casual viewers.

You're right about the show becoming too trashy in season 8 and then just unwatchable in season 9 except for a few episodes. Lecy coming back may not have affected the ratings because maybe people stopped regularly watching the show and casual watchers would not recognize her or didn't think it was enough to keep watching.

I disagree that Mark and Becky should have broken up. Their marriage was very good for the show. When David and Darlene weren't together, a big part of the show was definitely missing. Dan and Roseanne were a young couple and first marriage too and look how long they were married on the show.

The second part of the finale was excellent. It was confusing in some ways but it provided an incredible ending for the show. It nearly excuses the rest of the season.

Darlene isn't on the show much in the later seasons because she was in college also. She was only able to come to do the show once a week. And in season 9 she was pregnant of course. I know Darlene and Becky appear in season 9 in at least a few episodes. I know they're in "Millions from Heaven". "The Miracle", "Home for the Holidays", and "Into the Good Night" together but I don't recall any others.

dr_urbanus

[6]Jan 3, 2007
    Heist81 wrote:
    dr_urbanus wrote:

Did they ever have a conclusion to their problems in "Becky Howser, M.D." ? It ended on a down note, but the next episode had them playing Scrabble like nothing happened..

No, they never did follow up that storyline, apart from a couple of references to Becky applying to colleges. It's a shame 'cause 'Becky Howser MD' was a great ep so it was very unsatisfying that it built up a storyline that was never pursued. Good point about DJ in the later seasons, I hadn't really thought about it but it's true.

dr_urbanus

[7]Jan 3, 2007
    jjc92787 wrote:
    Personally, I don't like Sarah Chalke as Becky because she usually came across as fake to me. Lecy seemed like she was really Becky but Sarah always seemed like she was just playing Becky.

Well put. I do think Sarah was a decent replacement, to start with anyway, but for me Lecy was always the 'real' Becky and felt like how the character should be. When she came back in Season 8 I think she reprised the role well and you could believe it was the same character from earlier in the series. Plus she gelled better with the rest of the family.

It's true she still looked young when she came back but that didn't bother me. If anything I always thought she was a more believable member of the family looks-wise. You could believe Lecy and Sara Gilbert were sisters but I just thought Sarah Chalke looked too glamorous to be a member of that family, especially towards the end.

Heist81

[8]Jan 3, 2007
    dr_urbanus wrote:
    Heist81 wrote:
    dr_urbanus wrote:

No, they never did follow up that storyline, apart from a couple of references to Becky applying to colleges. It's a shame 'cause 'Becky Howser MD' was a great ep so it was very unsatisfying that it built up a storyline that was never pursued. Good point about DJ in the later seasons, I hadn't really thought about it but it's true.

That sucks, I liked that episode a lot, Mark did a good acting job.

chadc1979

[9]Jan 4, 2007
    • level: 5
    Lecy was in 101 episodes before going to college. She was in 4 episodes of season 5 with her 2 parter in episode 98 and 99 "Terms of Estrangement 1 & 2" and a brief scene at the end of 100 "The Dark Ages" where dan talks to her on the phone. She has one more appearance in episode 107 "Good Girls, Bad Girls" which was filmed right before the lunch box restaurant opened but aired the week after for whatever reason on 11/24/1992. Sarah's first episode was season 6's "Homecoming" ep 131 on 11/16/1993, so almost an entire year later. Episodes she wasn't in was 141 "Labor Day" and 144 "I Pray the Lord My Stove t Keep" so she was in 14 episodes. In Season 7 she missed 149 "Two for One" 155 "Jimmy and Punch" 156 "White Men Can't Kiss" 161 "My Name is Bev" 165 "Single Married Female" 171 "The Birds and the Frozen Bees" and she wasn't in the finale 173 "Sherwood Schwartz: A Loving Tribute". So including the 2 episodes that were a clip show she was in 19 episodes (5 more than season 6). Season 8 was the mix season. in the first episode 174 "Shower the People You Love with Stuff" Both are in it, due to the clip at the end. 175 "Let Them Eat Junk" is Lecy, as well as 177 "The Last Date". 178 "Halloween: The Finale Chapter" has just Sarah as a trick-or-treater. 179 "The Fifties Show" it's back to Lecy, and then she's also in 180 "The Getaway, Almost" 183 "Direct to Video" 186 "The White Sheep of the Family" 187 "Becky Howser, M.D." 188 "Out of the Past". Then Sarah is in 190/191 the Disney World episodes. Back to Lecy for 192 "Springtime for David". Back to Sarah for 196 "The Wedding". Then Lecy had her final scene, sadly in 197 "Heart and Soul" where Becky & Darlene are talking sitting in front of the sink and Darelene is thinking about fixing a pipe, but they decide to wait for their Dad to get better. Lecy's last 2 episodes were fairly short and I wouldn't be surprised if she had filmed those quick scence months before. As you can see, lots of huge gaps in this season, obviously Lecy was still very busy with school and she only came back thinking this was the last season, which it ended up getting renewed one last time. So to add it up Lecy was in 11 episodes and Sarah was in 5. So Lecy mixed up Season 5 and 8 a bunch and that's what did the Becky character in. With her 2 seasons saying she was gonna do the show, then by midseason not being available anymore. That's why Becky Howser, M.D. probably wasn't followed up. In the last season, season 9 Sarah was missing from the Thanksgiving episode but mark was there, so that's how rumors that she wasn't working out as becky anymore really surfaced. But John Goodman was filming Blues Brothers 2000, Sara Gilbert was still going college, so alot of Roseanne and Jackie only/mostly episodes. Sarah was in 200 "Millions from Heaven" 203 "Someday My Prince Will Come" 206 "Hoi Polloi Meets Hoiti Toiti" 209 "Mother and Other Strangers" 210 "Home for the Holidays" 215 "Some Enchanted Merger" 217 "The Miracle" 219 "Truth Be Told" 221/222 "Into That Good Night 1 &2" I got all this info from Nick @ Nites site. For whatever reason they didn't have Sarah listed as missing from the Thanksgiving episode, but it seems well documented on this site. Assumming their site was right all of this, then Sarah was in 10 episodes of season 9. So in Summary S5 Lecy 4, S6 Sarah 14, S7 Sarah 19, S8 Lecy 11 / Sarah 5, S9 Sarah 10.

dr_urbanus

[10]Jan 4, 2007
    I really don't think Sarah was in as many as 10 eps in Season 9, I would put it at 7 at most even though I haven't seen it in a while. Her appearances for Seasons 6 & 7 seem a bit high too, though I could be wrong. I know there were one or two eps in Season 6 that she didn't even speak in (Jackie's wedding, for one). Funny you mention that Lecy is in 'The Getaway' in Season 8, I've never seen her in this ep but I remember a fan on another forum claim she appeared in the original, uncut episode. It'll be interesting to see if she shows up on the DVD.

chadc1979

[11]Jan 4, 2007
    dr_urbanus wrote:
    I really don't think Sarah was in as many as 10 eps in Season 9, I would put it at 7 at most even though I haven't seen it in a while. Her appearances for Seasons 6 & 7 seem a bit high too, though I could be wrong. I know there were one or two eps in Season 6 that she didn't even speak in (Jackie's wedding, for one). Funny you mention that Lecy is in 'The Getaway' in Season 8, I've never seen her in this ep but I remember a fan on another forum claim she appeared in the original, uncut episode. It'll be interesting to see if she shows up on the DVD.

I got all my info from nick @ nites site. Each episode they put "NOTE: " followed by who in the cast wasn't in that episode. 10 isn't too many episodes to be in during the last season. The finale counts as two and scenes like when they win the lottery and all the family are in the living room, when they go to that rich familys house, when they are on the plane to new york, that's 5 right there without even thinking, so that number sounds right.

Heist81

[12]Jan 4, 2007
    I read an interview with Sarah Chalke about a year ago in a magazine, mostly talking about Scrubs. However, the article was titled "Don't call me Second Becky"

She said that they call her Second Becky on the set of Scrubs.

dr_urbanus

[13]Jan 4, 2007
    This site also notes when regulars don't feature in particular episodes and from what I've seen it seems to be more accurate. The episode guide here says Sarah Chalke didn't appear in 3 of the episodes you mentioned ("Mother and Other Strangers", "Some Enchanted Merger" and "Truth Be Told" (the latter I'm almost certain of as I saw it not too long ago myself). So that leaves 7 episodes she was in from Season 9, if you consider 'Into that Good Night' as 2 separate episodes.

chadc1979

[14]Jan 4, 2007
    I was too tired to go through both sites. I had actually did something kind of like this on my own for this site but just for Lecy several months ago, wish I would have kept that stuff. They had to of known the 9th season was it, and that's why they just gave up on the becky character and why she only had such few episodes

Heist81

[15]Jan 5, 2007
    I decided to dig up the interview I mentioned earlier, I went through my big collection of magazines and finally found it.

Here's the question about "Second Becky":

-----

You famously replaced the original Becky on Roseanne. Does anyone ever refer to you as "Fake Becky"?

Oh, they call me "Second Becky" all the time on the Scrubs set. "Can we get Second Becky for this scene, please?" Last season, the cast let people think I was leaving the show. So Zach Braff pitched for the first shot of this season to be him walking down the hall with Alicia Goranson, the original Becky, as if she had replaced me. That would have been hysterical.

-----

I would have enjoyed that immensely.

SparkleFarkle

[16]Jan 5, 2007
    • level: 45
    Heist81 wrote:
    I decided to dig up the interview I mentioned earlier, I went through my big collection of magazines and finally found it.

Here's the question about "Second Becky":

-----

You famously replaced the original Becky on Roseanne. Does anyone ever refer to you as "Fake Becky"?

Oh, they call me "Second Becky" all the time on the Scrubs set. "Can we get Second Becky for this scene, please?" Last season, the cast let people think I was leaving the show. So Zach Braff pitched for the first shot of this season to be him walking down the hall with Alicia Goranson, the original Becky, as if she had replaced me. That would have been hysterical.

-----

I would have enjoyed that immensely.
    That would have been grand!!!

dr_urbanus

[17]Jan 5, 2007
    That's hilarious! Thanks for posting that. I wonder how the 2 Beckys got on, come to think of it?

chadc1979

[18]Jan 5, 2007
    OH yeah they should so get Lecy to guest on scrubs. Thanks for looking that up.

Heist81

[19]Jan 5, 2007
    dr_urbanus wrote:
    That's hilarious! Thanks for posting that. I wonder how the 2 Beckys got on, come to think of it?

Ive never heard that they disliked each other or anything bad, and they looked like they were having a lot of fun during the dance sequence at the end of Lecy's first episode back.

Heist81

[20]Jan 6, 2007
    I always thought it would be cool to have a Roseanne character on Scrubs, Alicia Goranson would be the best but having Michael Fishman, Sara Gilbert, Laurie Metcalf, John Goodman.. they could just do a quick 2 second appearance, and Sarah would just do a double take on them.