Roseanne

Heart & Soul

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM May 14, 1996 on ABC

• Saddest episode

If I had to name one episode of Roseanne that got me choked up it would be Heart and Soul. I just rewatched it last night and came close to crying. Dan's speech to God will really get to you even if your not religious. It also had nice throwbacks to past episodes Dances with Darlene, Don't make room for daddy. and Crime and Punishment. It's fairly obvious this episode was the intended series finale with the old season 1 and 2 music playing in the credits. One wonders what it would have been like if this was the final episode of Roseanne. Dan in critical condition but with hope that he might still make it. Overall Heart and Soul is the best episode of an otherwise disappointing season.
  • Could Dan die?

This is one of the best episodes of the entire series of Roseanne. In my eyes, this is the finale of the series because it originally was. I only watch to this point. In the finale, Roseanne says that the whole lottery thing was just fake so in my opinion why watch it then. It took away the whole notion of blue collar family trying to makes ends meet.

Heart and Soul will live on in my heart as the true finale of this one of a kind series that will be cherished for TV audiences to come. I highly recommend.
  • Touching, but still funny and true to characters.

For a show that provides me with so many laughs, I was suprised that it could also bring a tear to my eye. Usually when a show is really funny, it is futile for them to have a "touching" episode, because they sell-out or look corny. That is not at all the case with this episode. None of the usual wit and humour is lost. I also think it was a great touch to have the original theme playing during the credits, as if to signify a whole new start...and a possible end.
  • This is one of the last few classic Roseanne episodes. Once again, Roseanne's famliy is facing a major obstacle and Roseanne is trying to pull them all through.

This is one of the last few classic Roseanne episodes. Once again, Roseanne's famliy is facing a major obstacle and Roseanne is trying to pull them all through. She tries to be brave, but in the end, goes through all of the human reactions expected. She is fearful of losing the husband she has spent the past twenty-five years with, she is angry that this has happened to her family, and she is guilty, blaming herself for Dan's heart attack. Still she takes charge and puts up a comedic front for the sake of her family. In the end, she knows that all of their lives have changed drastically and wonders what the future will hold. Overall, this is Roseanne at her best.