Roseanne

Hit the Road, Jack

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jan 14, 1997 on ABC

• Dan packs up to leave, Roseanne drives around town aimlessly, and one of the most awkwardly bad scenes in the entire series makes me cringe.

As Dan is packing his bags, and getting ready to leave home after cheating on his wife, Roseanne drives around town aimlessly. Despite Dan being the bad guy here, I did feel bad for him when he turned around to take one last look at his house, and the scene between him and DJ was pretty tense.

Roseanne driving around was pretty well done, she had some interesting thoughts and a fairly amusing scene at a fast food drive-thru window.

But then we get to the library scene with DJ and Heather meeting each other, possibly my least favorite moment on the show (except for the entire Roseambo episode.)

The laugh track is put to real work here. The entire conversation was awkward, benign, and overall, NOT funny. Watching the scene, and hearing laughter after the most inane lines, I was honestly confused at what people could be laughing at there. I love the Roseanne series to death, it's my favorite show no question, but this is one scene that if I never see again, I will survive.

Despite that, this episode is alright. Just grab onto something and hold your breath once you see DJ browsing the library, you are about to feel uncomfortable.
CMT