Roswell

Chant Down Babylon

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 26, 2002 on The WB

• Brilliant.

This episode was one of my favourites. I won't go into the whole storyline of this episode too much, as I'm sure many people already have. But I just wanted to share some of my feelings and opinions on it.
    To start, I really love the way Kyle comes accross in the episode. You get another chance to see his sensitive side, when he tries to heal Isabel, but to no avail and starts to cry. I thought that was a real pivotal moment for his character.
    I also admire that Liz takes a more focal role over Max (when her tear drop heals Max and ultimately saves his life). That was really good to see for a change.
    In summary, this episode was full of drama and emotion and I absolutely loved it. It was so well played out.
    It is also episodes like this that stick with me and make me even more sad than I already am that Roswell is over.
  • Liz and Max are the best couple!

They love each other so much....their love is very strong and very very sweet... and I love this couple for that reason. The last scene is very sad.. with Max and Liz falling down and Max having these flashes about their relationship...then Max saves her life and fortunately the history has happy end with them together!

I recommend this episode because is beautiful!
  • Seriously one of the best :)

In this episode we get to see just how deep Max and Liz are connected, first she can feel that Max died and then was proven right. Then she kissed him and brought him back from death. Seriously this episode had me in tears, it was wonderful. Max and Liz's love is such an inspiration, I mean all the things theu have been trough together and so willing to sacrifice themselves at any given moment for each other, wow. I also really liked that when that woman was trying to have sex with him all he saw was Liz. ha
  • IN this episode Max who is no longer Max goes to Vermont to see Liz, while Isabel is dying in Roswell

This is an all around excellent episode. Morgan Fairchil was really great as her role, and even though she is old was still pretty hot. The scenes with Liz and Maria were really good and how Max comes to her at the end was really sad. When they fall out of the window together and he saves her and comes back is really sweet. Also the scenes with Jesse are sad in their own way, becasue at the same time that you want him to be accepting of the fact that aliens exist he responds logically and he does have every right to be mad at his wife for lying
  • Max is held captive as he is demand to save the life of Clayton, who is a man that is dying from old age. Isabel is shot as she and michael try to save Max.

This episode was outstanding. What more could you ask for? In this episode there was death, heartache, revulations and tearjerker moments. In the end I'm glad that the love between Liz and Max was able to defy all odds. It was so cute when Liz said that they where now even as they had both save each others' lives. I do feel sorry for Jesse as he was only take they were aliens when his wife was dying. But hey his reaction was classic. Looking back it is so funny. Then there is Michael. This is episode reveals the path that the next episode will take as we find out that Michael has inherited Max's power's.
  • a love stronger than death...

I really like this episode, it one of the best episodes from season 3.
    I found really interesting how nature seems to find a way to keep the balance and how you can't control the natural course of life (Clayton). Max can't heal people that are dying cuz they're just too old. Nature did punish Meris, Clayton and Max too for trying to play with life. But in the end Max is saved because of his good soul that sacrificed his life for the one he loved.
    Max's death was a shock for fans (incredible how Liz can really feel when he died. she just knew it. Another clue about what be soulmates means) but then it become another way to make see how deep is the his love for Liz Parker.
    For this love his soul survived. For the memory of her he still tried to take control over his/Clayton body never letting go.
    Really touching the scene when Clayton was with Meris but then he suddenly gets flashes from Max about Liz.
    When Clayton understand that Max's love for the girl is a danger for his life, he wanted to kill her. From that moment Max made a choice, let himself die in order to protect and save her life.
    When they fall to the ground he saved only her letting he and Clayton die. But the boy is rewarded for his sacrifice.
    Liz kiss him and she makes him come back from death.
    This is the ultimate proof of their amazing love. A relationship stronger than death.. never seen anything so powerful.

In the same episode really good all the scene where Isabell was injured and Kyle tried to heal her. Also the scene with Michael that in the end saved her. How? the answer in the next episode ;)

to complete, definitively a great episode this one. very exciting and touching. a touch of the magic that was season 1
  • The king is dead, long live the king.

Spoilers follow....

You could have knocked me over with a Crashdown pancake at the end of the last episode. Max is dead. Not just dead, but turned into geriatric gunge then dissolved before our eyes. How can this be. Have the writers just pulled one of the best twists ever, like killing off Janet Leigh in Psycho?

Thankfully, things are a little more complicated than that. In a sequence that I didn't quite follow, suddenly Max is in bed with Morgan Fairchild, except he's not Max, he's her husband, Clayton, in Max's body, but Max is in there too somewhere, which makes for a very crowded situation.

In a somewhat contrived story plot, Clayton decides that to be completely himself, he has to kill Liz, the memory of whom is haunting the Max part of the brain. So he sets out to do that. Morgan tags along for the ride to Vermont and very helpfully tells him that in order to free himself he needs to kill the one he loves. This is overdone in the extreme, because it's fairly obvious what's going to happen and it couldn't happen to a blonder person. With one quick twist of her neck, Morgan goes the way of the fur she likes to wear.

I couldn't quite work out now why Clayton/Max is still out to kill Liz after this, but off he goes, and out the window they both end up, falling to what would presumably be their deaths. The Max part of Clayton saves Liz, and then Liz somehow saves Max and hey presto - from dust to slopy shouldered muscle man in one easy step.

It's an interesting episode, but somehow just too contrived to be a classic.
  • This episode continues the events happend in ''Panacea''.

Isabel is fatally wounded, Max is dead, Jesse learns about Isabel's true identity. Yes, that's how the episode starts. The thing is, when Max healed Clayton, he put himself in his body. Clayton then goes crazy, kills his wife and goes to kill Liz. Max inside of him tries to prevent all of this. This leads to a pretty messed up scene. Max/Clayton asks Liz to kill him while Max has control of the body. When I say messed up I mean it in a good way, the story becomes quite complex and so what follows too. Max/Clayton pushes Liz out through a window and when falling Max takes control of the body and creates a shield to protect Liz and not him. Then Liz brings back Max to life and claims they're ''even''.

These are not the only good events in this episode. Other moments worth mentionning is the scene with Catherine Heigl and Nick Wechsler. Kyle tries to heal Isabel but it doesn't work. There is also the scene where Clayton realizes he has a new body and say ''the alien boy must have worked out''. Good inside joke, everyone on the set always said that Jason Behr is a pretty strong guy.