Roswell

Cry Your Name

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Apr 23, 2001 on The WB

• "I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep..."

Well, this is right at the top of my favourite episode list. It's so heartwrenching to watch, but nonetheless a really brilliant episode.
    Finding out that Alex was dead was enough to make me cry, but a whole bunch of other things thrown in really made it worse. Such as, when the gang follow the Coroner's van to the Mortuary, for Max to try and heal Alex. Isabel is 'narrating' this scene and hoping that "the whole van will shake" as Alex is brought back to life and they can laugh it off... But as her voice trails off, we realise that it is too late for Max to help.

The emotion displayed here, was hard to watch and immediately opened the gates for the floods of tears.

The consistent solemness throughout this episode adds to the sorrow you feel whilst watching.

Just as you think you can't possibly cry anymore, the funeral starts and Maria sings 'Amazing Grace' as flowers are thrown onto the coffin as a mark of respect. The words of the song made me shiver, as it fitted so perfectly to such a sad moment.

Liz finally breaking down in the Crashdown whilst looking at the photographs at Alex was saddening, but a relief to see that she had accepted that Alex was gone. A knock at the door interrupts her break down and the mood takes a more sinister turn when we get back onto the idea that Alex could have been murdered. The show ends on the line "It means: I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep...." Liz looking shocked and determined that she will find Alex's murderer.
    A great end to this really sad, tearjerking episode, which still gets me every time.