Roswell Forums

The WB (ended 2002)

has anyone read the 'roswell high' books?

hank_bonds

[1]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 10

i used to watch the show years ago, i never saw all the episodes, so last week i bought season 1 and 2. I am now half way through season 2 and i am in love with the show, but the sad thing is that i only have one and a half seasons left until the show finishes, sad i know!

so i was thinking about reading the books of which the show is based on after i finish season three.

so has anyone read these books?

are they good?

did they improve the show for you personally or did they confuse the crap out of ya?

let me know.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tvfan332

[2]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 37
    I haven't read the books, but I've heard that some of them are really hard to find, as well as expensive.

motleylil

[3]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 19
    That's mainly because they are all out of print.

TrueLoveAlways

[4]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 7
    I've got books 1-6 (which I got for like $1 each btw) and I think the tv show is a thousand times better lol, the books are ok but the characters are all messed (like max has blonde hair etc.) compared to the show which has awesome actors/characters.
    Edited on 04/25/2008 4:30am
    Edited 2 total times.

addict666

[5]May 23, 2008
    • level: 45

I've read all the books which I found in the young adult section of my library around five years ago, they are pretty different from the show, but I would recommend them because they are kind of hilarious and it is so funny to see how much they diverged and/or incorporated elements from the books, personally I have always wondered if Alex's trip to 'Switerland' was a correlation to his trip to another planet in the book

So ignoring my tangents, read them, you'll get a good laugh out of them if nothing else

Aurorastarr

[6]Jun 4, 2008
    I've read all the Roswell High books and thought they were fun. I never did read the books that took place after the show ended, never could find them, but I do read some of the stories, writen by fans, on the internet.

Adelette

[7]Jun 5, 2008
    • level: 42

I loved the books. They are actually the reason I watched the series. But yeah they're different. Not totally different, but not the same either.

And yeah they're hard to find and hella expensive, although you might find them at your library...

Bizbeth88

[8]Jul 18, 2008

There are loads of different books - the expensivce and hard to find ones are based on the show and set after it finishes, the ones the show is based on are usually dead easy tp find but very different than the show.

I personally love the books the show was based on - even though they are really different. And I always thought the way Liz reacts in 'Cry Your Name' was so much more meaningful if you had read the books because all I could think was in the books she would have reacted like that and would have actually known from experience when she tells Max he can't let them read that it was suicide because of what it will do to them, so I kind of always mixed the two together - what happened to Rosa in the books - why she reacts so strongly in Cry Your Name (and Rosa isn't ever mention in the tv show)

I also like the books based after the show - well the two I've been able to get ahold of and been able to afford.

Hope that helped!

luc7ky

[9]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 16
    Nope. r they good?!

simonsotero

[10]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 10

I read the entire series years ago and absolutely loved it. As other people have mentioned, it has a different feel than the show, but not in a bad way at all. It puts major emphasis on the love stories, which were the main reason I always watched Roswell on television, and in that sense captures the same essence as the series. Here is a website listing all the books:

http://www.antarians.com/roswell/bookguide1.html

I own all the books and am ashamed to admit that a few were borrowed from the library and never returned. I just couldn't find them anywhere else I did pay my fines, it that makes me any less guilty. Anyway, the best place to find these books, so far as I recall, (aside from stealing them from the library) is ebay.

I definitely recommend them though to anyone who loved and now misses the series like I do.

Talk to you all later,

Andrew

kingtazzy

[11]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 18
    I cant see Max being blonde,,,lol. Ive always borrowed books from my library. I returned most. I couldnt return them when it closed down haha. I think if theres not a movie in the next few years ill look into any books I can find on roswell. I think Id wanna pick it up after they leave Roswell in the third season. Makes sense I think.)

Bizbeth88

[12]Aug 22, 2008

The only problem with the books after the show ended is they are so expensive - one sells for over £100!!!

The books by Melinda Metz are differet - but I still love them. I;ve read the final one about a million times, espeically since I love all the Michael and Maria moments in them.

Hehe yeah Max with blond hair :p what about Alex with red hair...! All I could do whilst reading them is picture Colin Hnaks with ginger hair!

kingtazzy

[13]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 18
    Im not for certain. I believe there are maybe 13 books. I may be getting my hands on some of the E-books.) Ill keep in touch.)

Bizbeth88

[14]Aug 23, 2008

kingtazzy wrote:
    Im not for certain. I believe there are maybe 13 books. I may be getting my hands on some of the E-books.) Ill keep in touch.)

There are ten in the original series - three in a kind of set based after the show (the really expensive books lol), and a few based in between the show and based in between seasons I think.

malluu

[15]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 14

There are ten books in the original Roswell High series written by Melinda Metz

The Outsider

The Wild One

The Seeker

The Watcher

The Intruder

The Stowaway

The Vanished

The Rebel

The Dark One

The Salvation

Then there are three in the Loose Ends series which take place during season 2 of the show.

Loose Ends by Greg Cox

No Good Deed by Dean Wesley Smith & Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Little Green Men by Dean Wesley Smith & Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Finally there are eight in the New Beginning series. The first four take place between seasons 2 and 3 and the last four take place after the show ended.

Shades by Mel Odom

Skeletons In The Closet by Andy Mangels

Dreamwalk by Paul Ruditis

Quarantine by Laura J. Burns

A New Beginning by Kevin Ryan

Nightscape by Kevin Ryan

Pursuit by Andy Mangels & Micheal A. Martin

Turnabout by Andy Mangels & Mickeal A. Martin

Edited on 09/08/2008 9:56pm