Roswell Forums

The WB (ended 2002)

I wish Roswell had lasted longer!!!

Tinkerbellv101

[1]Feb 8, 2010
    • level: 8
    They only had 3 seasons but i think they could have made it longer!!! The frist season was my fav with the govt. stuff. I wish they streached it out longer and i loved Maria and Micheal! They should have made it longer! At least 5 seasons i totally think it deserved 5 seasons!
    Edited on 02/08/2010 4:20pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alirk

[2]Mar 10, 2010
    • level: 22

You are 100% correct...Boo UPN!

Skin57

[3]Jul 12, 2010
    • level: 3
    I don't. They torpedoed the show with their awful plot centered writing and ended up making most of the characters towards the end of the series unrecognizable and the writers were so stubborn that they continued to abuse the fans and mock them to the point where they just gave up. The show Roswell had a lot of problems but I think most of that could have been fixed had the writers done their job, but it's obvious that towards the end they didn't.

JoshSutton

[4]Jul 31, 2010
    • level: 15
    I thought they did plot centred writing because of the network? I heard the network wanted more sci fi, They should've kept the show the same sort of thing as the first 16 episodes, those were so good.

Skin57

[5]Aug 20, 2010
    JoshSutton wrote:
    I thought they did plot centred writing because of the network? I heard the network wanted more sci fi, They should've kept the show the same sort of thing as the first 16 episodes, those were so good.

They did start writing more alien stuff because of the network interference. However it was Katims who wanted the storyline with Max and Tess sleeping together and making her a killer and all the resulting drama. The problem with Roswell was that the writers continued to abuse the fanbases which were the very reason they were still on air. The killed Alex which effectively destroyed the fans who loved the Alex/Isabel pairing, then they had Max sleep with Tess which ruined the show for the fans who loved Max and Liz together (which was the majority of the people who watched) and then they added insult to injury to that same fanbase by having Tess pregnant. From then on the fans were done with the show and the little fan support they had going into the third season was eroded even more because people felt that all the characters they identified with were completely unlikable people. Liz was a doormat, Max was a complete jerk, Maria was cold and Isabel was fickle. There was no one to root for anymore because everyone sucked as a character in the third season and that was directly because of Alex's death and the Tess and Max stuff. That's what killed the show and that's what killed the fan morale and that's what caused the cancellation of the third season because no one wanted to watch a show in which all of the pairings, characters and relationships were treated like dirt by the writers.

rtds9

[6]Aug 31, 2010
    • level: 1

I was a HUGE Tess fan on the show.But I was hoping that she would hook up with Kyle.It even looked like they were heading that way with what happened between the two in Vegas and the Christmas ep.But sadly the writers screwed it up with the 'you're like a sister' to me line and having her hook up with Max.I didn't even watch season three due to the show's stupidty after that.

kooreo

[7]Oct 27, 2010

I loved this show from begging to end every episode!

kingtazzy

[8]Oct 30, 2010
    • level: 18

I agree it should of lasted many many more seasons. Another reason why I dont like Tv Networks that play god with decent Tv shows.

bhawks52

[9]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 2

I'm new to this forum. I'd heard that Roswell was very good so I watched all 3 seasons in one week. The show had me hooked right from the first episode which to me was fantastic. For me, the Liz/Max connection is what I loved best about the show. As with many other tv shows (Chuck to name one, Robin Hood to name another) the writers messed up a little too much of that amazing chemistry and so Season 2 & 3 really didn't measure up for me. From the sounds of many comments in this forum, it diminished the enjoyment they derived from the show and that led them away from it. The whole Tess/Max thing really did not resonate with me at all.It amazed me that some fans thought this was a good thing. Her ultimate goal was to use Max, getpregnant, take everyone backrealizing that they would be killed, all to serve her own needs.This was an awful turn of events, and I'm sure many fans felt betrayed.The 3rd season was all over the map and even though the ending was what I would have wanted, how the writers got therewas not as satisfying as I would have liked. I didn't watch Roswell for the Sci. Fi. effects such as they were. I loved the relationships and character development in stories. As many have suggested, the writers played around withthose charactersso much that it was hard to recognize them at times. The music was great. I still find myself flipping through episodes and replaying beautiful Liz/Max moments. The song by Sheryl Crow is outstanding and whenever I play it, it brings back a flood of memories of the show. It certainly was a pleasure to watch. I would have lovedto seeanother few seasons as well. When your main characters have such great chemistry, it is hard to see a series end.

mommyoftwins06

[10]Apr 9, 2011

I watched this show when I was younger (I would have been 12, imagine that, haha) and I loved it, but I stopped watching it due to school, friends, etc ... then flicking through netflix, I found all 3 seasons. I watched them all in a week.

Initially, I loved the first season. But like most of you, felt that the second and third seasons were way off par. Although, when you start adding more sci fi then character development, that is what is going to happen.

Rewatching them, I actually like all the episodes, and love how they ended it ... but they could have done with 2 more seasons. The ending was great. Really. But they KNEW they weren't going to get a 4th season from day 1. They had been fighting to keep the show on since the 3rd season. They were trying to tie up loose ends, and make it interesting ... and they blew it. Season 3 is probably the worst, except for the first, and last episodes.

As for the Tess/Max storyline ... I totally hated the Tess character from the start, and was mad that they got them to sleep together ... but the plot twist in the end wasn't something I was expecting, and was definitly interesting. In the end, she did redeem herself, even though it was a last resort for her. Max redeemed himself too. He did what was best for his child. Maria redeemed herself, and Liz too, for finally deciding they weren't foing to walk away from their soulmates, ands Isobel did by leaving her husband (which I thought that plot line was ridiculous) for his safety.

I kinda like to think that since they were always on the run together from that moment on, Isobel and Kyle would become something more.

If there were 2 more seasons, what do you think they would do with that, story wise?

NiallB31

[11]Sep 30, 2011

Don't balme UPN they saved the show after the WB cancelled the show, but the ratings dropped and UPN had no choice but to cancel it, again.

Mandryl

[12]Feb 10, 2012
    • level: 2
    Like most, I liked the first season and I think in the 2nd and 3rd was losing quality. Besides the problem with Tess, I do not like the way they handled the character of Liz. Hysterical, and increasingly teenager. Almost as Lana Lang in Smallville. Of course his character is that of a teenager, but was losing maturity. Sorry for the wording, but I know little English, and I am the translator of google. Greetings.