Roswell Forums

The WB (ended 2002)

Really!?

Telekinesis429

[1]May 27, 2009
    • level: 8
    Okay, so I just starting watching Roswell a few months again and I finally got around to watching the Season One finale. Now, I haven't seen Seasons Two or Three, so I have no idea what's going to happen. The reason I never watched before was because I thought it would be a cheesy alien/sci fi show, turns out I was wrong. They got around the whole corny spaceships and alien costumes because they made the kids have no idea where they're from [which seemed like a great way around it]. But then, it seemed that while watching the finale all my hopes and dreams for this show where crushed... now Max's a "king" of some sort, and they have to save their home planet!? What is that? In my opinion the show [which was AMAZING before the Season One finale], just dropped to a serious LOW. Again, I haven't seen Seasons Two or Three, and I'm a little hesitant, so for all you fans: Does the show stay as good as Season One?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

VConn

[2]May 28, 2009
    • level: 17
    Without spoiling it too much for you Season 2 is reasonably good though it does have 1 major fault which I'm sure you'll discover for yourself and Season 3 was just a joke they only made it after it had been off the air for a full season and I don't think any of the cast/crew had any real enthusiasm in their hearts for it - It did have some interesting points (Only 3 or 4 episodes were really good) but the whole thing seemed forced - Like a small part of them wanted to do it but the rest of them wanted to be elsewhere.

motleylil

[3]May 28, 2009
    • level: 19
    My reaction was similar when I saw the season 1 finale, but I watched season 2 anyway, and I was pleased with the outcome. Except for the end of season 2. That was one of those moments I just go "No. Just... no. This has to be a joke."

tvfan332

[4]Jun 4, 2009
    • level: 37
    I actually think season one is the worst season of the show (an unpopular opinion). It was too teen drama-y for me, and Liz and Max are far too irritating as a couple. It gets better in season two, in my opinion.

pferreira86

[5]Jun 9, 2009
    In my opinion Season 1 was the best. It was well written and acted. Season 2 is actually quite good but it shows the network trying turn it into something it's not. Ironically, when the network cancelled the show they got qualities they felt was missing from Roswell and what they wanted from Smallville. Both shows competed for ratings on different networks and guess which won? Season 3 was basically the producers going wild and doing what they couldn't do on WB but it soon became clear that they were missing the point of what made the show great in the first place. The characters were just out of sync. Thankfully, the writers saw the error of their ways and in the last six episodes the characters revert back to how we'd expect them to behave.

jem_snaps

[6]Jun 15, 2009
    • level: 6
    imo S2 was the best. the relationship between michael and maria is great. there is a 2-parter that almost killed me. not giving spoilers but you need to watch S2.

sweet80pea

[7]Jun 15, 2009
    • level: 1
    I myself just discovered Roswell on Hulu recently. I devoured Season 1 in no time flat. I loved it so much I had to get Season 2 and 3 immediately. I'm almost done with S2 and have been sorely disappointed. It got really kitschy sci-fi, which I don't mind at all, but it just didn't flow very well from the expectations that were built in S1. It became less about the people and their relationships with each other, which I think is a mistake because the alien twist helped intensify the teen angsty drama of the show. Also, I felt like there were some serious budget cuts or something because the production quality and the writing suffered. There was just something missing. On top of that, the music on the DVDs aren't originally what was on the broadcast version, so some of the song choices and scoring give the episodes a really weird vibe. I would say skip the rest of Roswell, S1 comes to a good close to me, and that was enough. I'm really sad that S2 isn't up to par with what I was hoping for. I probably continue into S3. I've come too far not to stop.

pferreira86

[8]Jun 17, 2009
    sweet80pea wrote:
    I myself just discovered Roswell on Hulu recently. I devoured Season 1 in no time flat. I loved it so much I had to get Season 2 and 3 immediately. I'm almost done with S2 and have been sorely disappointed. It got really kitschy sci-fi, which I don't mind at all, but it just didn't flow very well from the expectations that were built in S1. It became less about the people and their relationships with each other, which I think is a mistake because the alien twist helped intensify the teen angsty drama of the show. Also, I felt like there were some serious budget cuts or something because the production quality and the writing suffered. There was just something missing. On top of that, the music on the DVDs aren't originally what was on the broadcast version, so some of the song choices and scoring give the episodes a really weird vibe. I would say skip the rest of Roswell, S1 comes to a good close to me, and that was enough. I'm really sad that S2 isn't up to par with what I was hoping for. I probably continue into S3. I've come too far not to stop.
    Sorry you don't like Season 2. Yeah, it was the network trying to increase the amount of sci-fi in the show. That's not the only change that the network made to it but one of the main ones. Personally, Season 3 for me is a long drag to the finishing line. At least with Season 2 something is always going on. But it still has some great episodes, especially the last six.

alirk

[9]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 22
    I thought season 1 was the best (many shows are the same way), but I still enjoyed seasons 2 & 3. I would recomend watching them!

Skin57

[10]Aug 20, 2010
    • level: 3
    Season 2 and Season 3 are the worst seasons, but the important thing to notice is that the reason season 3 sucks is because it inherited all of the problems from the previous season so the show was already broken. Season 3 made things worse because it didn't deal with many of the issues that climbed over from season 2. I personally see the end of season 2 as a cancer that pretty much destroyed the show after It's Too Late and It's Too Bad the show just died and never bounced back mostly because the Liz and Max relationship which pretty much was the heart and soul of the show was destroyed and shattered for no real reason. Season 3 is just everything wrong because the characters are so unidentifiable and so unlikable. The writers were just taking more and more away from the series from that point and honestly I don't think there were many likable characters left toward the end of the series.