Roswell Forums

The WB (ended 2002)

Roswell on DVD

tv_worm

[21]Jan 12, 2007
    • level: 12
    sipowicz wrote:

Good luck, but you should just be happy that it is on DVD. But I do hope you get what I want.

On a side note, what do you mean 2 hour Graduation, is the episode originally 2 hours??? [haven't gotten to it in my DVD set yet]

just wanted to get some info.

I agree. I am just happy that the dvd was released and I could watch the show whenever I wanted. I really dont care that the music was changed that much. However, I wish they leaked the 2 hour graduation episode on itunes or released it in the box set of all three seasons. Btw wasnt there a 2 hours pilot too?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Snomad

[22]Jan 12, 2007
    • level: 1
    sipowicz wrote:
    Good luck, but you should just be happy that it is on DVD. But I do hope you get what I want.

On a side note, what do you mean 2 hour Graduation, is the episode originally 2 hours??? [haven't gotten to it in my DVD set yet]

just wanted to get some info.

I am happy it was released on DVD but I'm still not happy with the music replacements. With most shows, I probably wouldn't care as much but Roswell is different and the original music matters. So far, 170 people agree with me. It will take a lot more. If you watched Roswell from the very beginning, the music changes are noticeable and significant, IMO. The original DVDs also really lack extras and those they could have added with little or no additional cost. If it gets re-released, Fox has the perfect opportunity to really set a new standard for TV shows on disc, especially with the increased capability of Blu-ray disc and/or HD DVD with regard to both quality and capacity. I'm talking about giving it the royal treatment. And why not? If they're going to do it, they might as well do it right.

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, the original finale was 2 hours but parts were supposedly cut because it was too dark. Personally, I can't confirm or deny that but I don't believe that about it being too dark. No lighting professional or DP could make that big a mistake on such a high quality production as Roswell. That's what dailies, and reshoots, are for.
    Edited on 01/12/2007 4:30pm

Snomad

[23]Jan 12, 2007
    VanGriffin wrote:
    Uh, new music? Can you fill me on what tracks?

There are hundreds, or so it seems, of new songs so I couldn't list them all here. If you do a search for Music of Roswell, you should find sites with the most up to date info available.

On its own, I think a lot of the replacment music is great but in the context of Roswell, the scenes are just not the same, IMO.
    Edited on 01/12/2007 4:24pm

Snomad

[24]Jan 12, 2007
    tv_worm wrote:
    I agree. I am just happy that the dvd was released and I could watch the show whenever I wanted. I really dont care that the music was changed that much. However, I wish they leaked the 2 hour graduation episode on itunes or released it in the box set of all three seasons. Btw wasnt there a 2 hours pilot too?

Even if the music isn't critical to everyone, there is so much more they could have added to the extras. The gag reels were originally promised but completely left off the DVDs. They circulate on eBay but the quality is not so good. I have other Roswell extras that should have been included, including bloopers, screen tests, alternate takes, etc. I've seen someone offering the original pilot on eBay as well but I have yet to acquire it or view it. It is supposedly closer to the first book with Liz's last name being Ortega, not Parker.

Please, everyone, sign the petition and send the link to all Roswellians who haven't signed it. Thanks. http://www.petitiononline.com/rosdvdrw/petition.html
    Edited on 01/12/2007 4:45pm
    Edited 2 total times.

tv_worm

[25]Jan 12, 2007
    • level: 12
    Snomad wrote:
    tv_worm wrote:

Even if the music isn't critical to everyone, there is so much more they could have added to the extras. The gag reels were originally promised but completely left off the DVDs. They circulate on eBay but the quality is not so good. I have other Roswell extras that should have been included, including bloopers, screen tests, alternate takes, etc. I've seen someone offering the original pilot on eBay as well but I have yet to acquire it or view it. It is supposedly closer to the first book with Liz's last name being Ortega, not Parker.

Please, everyone, sign the petition and send the link to all Roswellians who haven't signed it. Thanks. http://www.petitiononline.com/rosdvdrw/petition.html

yeah the gag reels would definitely have been fun. I found the script of the original unaired pilot (it wasnt two hours, just had some scenes taken off)  and while in some cases I liked certain scenes in there, I preferred the version that they showed on tv. Like for example the original pilot has liz, maria and alex knowing about the alien secret very early in the pilot episode. I liked the fact that Alex took longer to figure out the truth since the scenes between liz and alex in the first season were good. However the original pilot had liz freaking out a little more about the alient thing and that was what was really needed in the show since liz was too cool abou the entire thing. I'm still searching on the 2 hours departure episode and the 2 hour graduation episode so if anyone finds it could they please post a link. Thanks!

chadc1979

[26]Jan 26, 2007
    • level: 5
    I just picked up the 3rd and Finale season at Target for 17.99 (in the united states) and I am happy!

VanGriffin

[27]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 8
    Snomad wrote:
    VanGriffin wrote:
    Uh, new music? Can you fill me on what tracks?

There are hundreds, or so it seems, of new songs so I couldn't list them all here. If you do a search for Music of Roswell, you should find sites with the most up to date info available.

On its own, I think a lot of the replacment music is great but in the context of Roswell, the scenes are just not the same, IMO.

That sort of scares me from buying the DVDs. One of the best things about the show was the music, and got me interested in so many bands. My guess is the lease ran out for the music aired, and releasing the titles would send the prices through the roof.

jimbo_001

[28]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 56

I haven't seen any episodes on TV at all and they don't show repeats here due to lack of channels so I don't know of the original music (which is probably good since I don't know what I'm missing) and some music seems out of place but for the most part, the show is good.

I don't listen to commentaries (for any tv show) since I prefer to watch the show rather than hear people talk over it and as far as bonus features go, I would have liked a gag reel or deleted scenes (only one episode in the whole series having a deleted scene).

But it still introduced me to the show (and I'm not buying a "special edition" dvd because I already own the episodes and don't get sucked into the "this one has more bonus features" because I don't waste money) and I'm grateful for that.

tvfan332

[29]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 37

I just bought season 1, it was on sale!

Anyway, if I like it I'll buy seasons 2 and 3.

tvfan332

[30]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 37
    I bought seasons 2 and 3 a few days ago! (I still haven't finished season 1 yet).

Snomad

[31]Mar 25, 2007
    VanGriffin wrote:
    That sort of scares me from buying the DVDs. One of the best things about the show was the music, and got me interested in so many bands. My guess is the lease ran out for the music aired, and releasing the titles would send the prices through the roof.

Don't let it. I own the original DVDs and many, many people I know do too even though they don't like the music replacements. The more people still buying it can only be good as it indicates that people are still catching on to this show. They can often be found at Target or Amazon.com on sale for less than $20 per season. The music rights were only secured for broadcast and had to be renogiated for the DVDs. Some shows (Freeks and Geeks) paid for all of the original music on their DVD releases so there are some who know the importance of having it and it only increased the set price by approximately $30. I am trying to show the Roswell team that it is one where the music really matters. I don't benefit financially from sales of the current DVDs or a new release with the original music. I'm a fan and will be paying for any new discs just like the rest of you. Katims and company need to know how many people will pay for a proper release--that is what the petition is for.

Update. Signatures now total 238. That's far from the number I expected at this point. I just checked out the petition for the Roswell movie and it has more than 30,000 signatures (granted it's been live a lot longer) and the movie still hasn't happened yet. Getting a new release, preferably in high definition (Blu-ray or HD DVD), with the original music will be expensive to produce so TPTB need to know that they will get a return on their investment through volume sales. Lets get this thing going and make it happen. SIGN THE PETITION! Thank you for your support. http://www.petitiononline.com/rosdvdrw/petition.html.
    Edited on 03/25/2007 8:32am

DarkBride

[32]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 16
    At first it was a little weird watching the shows on DVD with different music, but if that was the only way to have them, its not a big deal to me. It was kind of like seeing them brand new because the different music evokes different emotions from the ones that I originally remembered. Plus it was fun trying to remember which ones were replaced and what got replaced. It was like a game. All in all, I'm cool with it. If it gets me my Roswell fix, its all good in my book.

Katy_lou

[33]Apr 12, 2007
    • level: 7
    I have the 3 seasons individually on DVD and the complete box set of all 3 seasons together on DVD. Dont ask why!!!

jimbo_001

[34]Apr 13, 2007
    • level: 56

Katy_lou wrote:
    I have the 3 seasons individually on DVD and the complete box set of all 3 seasons together on DVD. Dont ask why!!!

Why? Seriously, isn't that a waste of money?

spankdamunkee

[35]Apr 13, 2007
    • level: 3

i just started getting into the show....they should bring it back its really good....

and cliare from Lost was in it too i believe because i saw an episode on sci-fi with her in it

Katy_lou

[36]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 7
    jimbo_001 wrote:

Katy_lou wrote:

Because, I couldnt complete the individual set to begin with, so I bought the full set. Then my pal mailed me my missing individual season.
    It may be a waste of money. But at least its my money to waste.

Fanuch

[37]May 23, 2007
    • level: 3
    I just discovered Roswell on YouTube and instantly became hooked!!  It really sucks that it was canceled after only three seasons.

electricpeppers

[38]Jun 7, 2007
    • level: 26
    Katy_lou wrote:
    jimbo_001 wrote:

Katy_lou wrote:

Because, I couldnt complete the individual set to begin with, so I bought the full set. Then my pal mailed me my missing individual season.
    It may be a waste of money. But at least its my money to waste.

Heh, similar to what happened to me with my Buffy tapes/DVDs. It's never money wasted

sweetninam

[39]Jul 9, 2007
    • level: 2
    jxsilicon9 wrote:
    Season 3 was crap.I just try to stick to season 1 and 2.

well i did like some episodes in season 3.. but i really didnt like the "I Married An Alien" eipesode!

camulus101

[40]Aug 17, 2007
    I brought the box set with all 3 season in it just over a month ago now. But only just started watching it last week. I had a few other things on my watch list, but i am glad that i got around to watching it. I have managed to watch season 1 in 4 days. I just couldnt move once i started, it was just like the first time i watched the show. I couldnt wait for the next episode to show, luckily for me this time,. I didnt have to wait, the usual week to see it. Its just as, if not more addictive now as it was back then, which is rare for show. I remember pretty much whats going to happen, but still find myself glued, watching more, and staying up later than i had planned to just sneak in another episode.