Roswell

Independence Day

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 16, 2000 on The WB

• Ugh...

7.2
    Michael's adoptive father hits him while drunk. When Max realizes and tells Isabel, they decide to convince him to meet a lawyer, their father, so that Michael sets up his emancipation.

The ending is quite surprising, with Nassedo actually taking the place, through shapeshifting, of his father to make sure no one searches for Hank. Hank being dead and all it could raise suspicion on Michael, Max and Isabel.

The thing is, some scenes aren't entertaining at all and the scene where Michael cries is just painful to watch and not in a good way. It just feels too awkward. Although Maria's mother's reaction is worth watching. It's an episode saved by its few good scenes and revealing details about Nassedo.
  • Storyline getting better.

The best way I can describe this episode centering the maturity of Michael. We get to see his anger and reckless behavior. We get to see how he is lacking in his social skills. His interpretations and reactions to playing a simple board game show his lack of maturity. His temperament is also one that can get him into trouble. As usual there is someone in the group that has to bail him out. We finally see Michael actually use his powers in anger and do some damage. We also see more of the mysterious alien again just enough to give us a little glimpse of his power but not enough to the full extent of his intention.
  • Tis is a great episode.

This is one of the best episodes of the series of Roswell. The best part of the episode is when Michael goes to Maria and it's raining. Maria finally invites him in and he lies on the bed and Maria cuddles him and says 'it's ok. You don't have to tell me. It's ok'. That is one of the cutest scene in the whole series. I am a big Michael and Maria fan. I have known that they were meant to be together because they are so cute together especially in this episode. I also feel sorry for Isabel because all she wants to do is help Michael but he wouldn't let her.
  • Micheal's problems come to the surface.

This is one of my favorite episode of the entire series. As a Micheal fan, it is nice to see his character develop and he is given dimension through his relationship with Hank. It is so sad to see that his foster father hits him because no one deserves to be treated that way. When he comes to Maria in the rain and he cries in her bed, it is so sweet and touching that he is finally being vulnerable. Amy and Jim are also great in this episode and all the mother daughter talks between Amy and Maria are really hilarious and realistic. Isabel's coddling of Micheal is also great and his progression at the end when he asks for help and then at the end when he is emancipated (another staple of teenage drama) shows how he is changing from a selfish little boy.
  • In this episode it is revealed that Michel's foster dad is hitting him and he then deals with it

This is one of my favorite episodes of the first season. I've seen it practically 10 times. The part with Michel's foster father are great, and it gives Michel's character more dimension. Also, i absolutely love the scence with Michel and Maria and he comes and sleeps in her bed. Also, normally i think romance between the parents of characters is forced or gross, but it was really natural between the Sheriff and Maria's mom. Overall this episode was really great and any one who is a Micheal/Maria fan (like me) will love it. At the end when Michel finally accepts some responsibilty and comes back is really great
  • Very good episode. Really showed that the actors could, well, act.

When I watched this episode, i was both going-'ARGHH!' and 'hooray'. This is because i was both sad and angry about Hank Beating Michael, because Michael is just so nice, and 'hooray' because he got to live on his own, which is a responsibility, but a big step up from the Horrible Hank.

It's wonderful when you can see a character who's not always very good at showing emotion, show emotion. It was very efective, having Michael actually just break down, even just for that night.

The fact that Michael really didn't know how to behave around adults (for example Mr and Mrs Evans) was quite sad, because it showed how Hank hadn't bothered with him, he just gave him a room, bought food and hit him.