Roswell

The WB (ended 2002)

Edward_Nigma

Roswell Fan Reviews page 7 of 7

• This excellent show blended science fiction with drama in a very compelling way, one which many shows have been unable to match.

This is yet another show that for some reason I didn't pick up until the end of the first season. Much like Alias, I didn't catch on to the show until the 1st season finale and I became hooked. If you look at the shows that I watch, you'll find that I lean toward serialized shows like Alias and Lost more than those dull procedurals that litter the networks. Roswell was my kind of show because it had the ongoing plot as well as science fiction, which I really like. Some episodes focused more on the sci-fi than the drama, and others vice-versa, but it all worked out to be a great show with only a few bad episodes and a lot of great ones. The best episode of the series is the episode Cry Your Name, but don't watch it or read about it until you've seen the show because it's a spoiler episode for sure.
  • This is one of the best shows ever and I'm sorry that I missed it when it aired. Roswell has got to be the greatest show that people didn't watch or know about. I wish it could be brought back to tv as the fan base just continues to grow!

I regret not discovering this show until it was gone. My Aunt gave me the first 2 seasons to watch on dvd & promised I would love it. She was right, after the pilot episode my husband & I were both hooked. We were caught hook, line, and sinker, that had never happened for either of us with a pilot episode!

We are now finished with the entire first season and working our way through season 2. I want to get through it to see what happens but I don't want to get through it because I know it is over now! We are impatiently waiting for season 3 to be released onto dvd now so we can watch the rest of what we missed.

I truely believe this show is by far one of the best shows that wasn't watched! I believe if more people knew about this show or watched it they would have been hooked as well. So far my cruel, sadistic Aunt has turned about 10 people into huge Roswell fanatics after it ended! Well 14 people if you count my 4 children.

This show is great for people no matter what age they are. Even though the characters were teenagers I could empathize with them and become interested in what they were going through. As I said, even my children have loved watching this show. They get more excited then we do at times which is funny to watch. I have never seen any of us have such a strong reaction to a tv show before! The only compaint our children have about the show is that they can't watch every episode! There are some episodes we won't let them watch due to the mature nature of the paritcular episode.

For those that haven't had the opportunity to watch this show during its air time, I highly suggest buying the dvd collections! Now that we have found Roswell we are going to buy the 3 seasons as soon as the 3rd one is released. Until now there has never been a show or series of dvd that we felt was worth buying, Roswell is more than worth the price to always have it!
  • this show it's real,it's fiction, it's the best show ever!! it involves a lot of problems of teenagers but involving aliens. frindship, family, love, and the unknown are the main ingredients in this show.

i think that everyone that enjoy television as mutch as i do, have an "obligation" to see this show! i promisse you won't be disapointed...the first season it's about the quest between alien and the F.B.I, the away the humans learn about the existence of aliens and how they fall in love...the second involves a lot more aliens,a parasite,the new enimies,and the away home eventualy.the 3th it's, in my opinion, a lit bit shorter. it could've been a bit more developed. it envolves the F.B.I a lot more that the second season and the quest for max's son!...in resume:love aliens? love a great story about how they interact with us? don't miss the show. it's my favorite show and i think that can never be another one like this!

p.s -the soundtrack it's fabulous! dont's miss it too!!
  • In high school we all felt out of place, these kids really were out of place, heck they weren't from around here (nor Czechoslovakia), they weren't even from this planet!

So I remember when this show first came on. I loved the idea of it. Whereas the other 'supernatural' high school (at the time) Buffy the Vampire Slayer was an analogy of how high school was hell, Roswell took teenage alienation to new and more literal heights. Everyone remembers feeling out of place, hormones racing through a body you wouldn't recognize yourself as having had 3 years ago, not knowing where anything is, who you are, ect. Well imagine how much harder it is when you are actually aliens, sent here from another planet?

Story idea is this, when the UFO crashed in Roswell in the 40's the government didn't get everything for the crash. They missed the incubation pods stored nearby in the cliffs for one, and they also missed a shapeshifting alien. Flash forward 30, 40 years and a couple of 6 year olds wander out of these incubation pods. There were 4 (Max Evans, Isabell Evans and Michael Guerin), although we don't find out about the 4th until the end of season 1 (sorry for the spoiler). They are adopted into normal human families, and all is well. They have secret powers (like healing, changing the molecular structure of things, telekinesis, you know normal super power stuff), and no one outside of them knows their secret.

That is until Liz Parker gets accidentaly shot in The Crash Down the diner owned by her parents (although we see little of Mrs. Parker after season 1). Max Evans one of the alien boys heals her because he is sort of enamored by her and has been wanting her from afar since they were kids. Liz is dating the local sheriffs son Kyle, and the sheriff is seen as an enemy for the alien teens. Liz'a best friends Maria and Alex eventually find out the teen aliens secrets, and soon they all realize they are in danger. Not just from the US Gov't and FBI, but from warring factions of aliens who seem hell bent on reliving a war on earth that was started on their home planets. Plus there's love and romance of the very romeo and juliet kinds (only without the suicide).

Personally Roswell is a show that I can watch over and over again. It made me laugh and cry and made me think sometimes on what it means to be truely human.

Roswell was doomed from the get go but fans helped it get 3 season on the WB and later on UPN. I recommend this show to all Buffy and Dark Angel fans cos its along similar veins. Think X-files for teenagers.
  • I really miss this show!

Roswell was one of my all-time favorite shows. The first season was the best of the three, mainly because they didn't use too much sci fi. Instead, they focused more on developing the characters. The relationships between all of them were fabulous. My favorite pair was Max and Liz. I absolutely adore the episode "Blind Date," where Max finally professes his love for Liz.

I enjoyed the second season (and third) because I like Sci Fi, but a lot of my friends got annoyed...especially with the "Hybrid Chronicles." Looking back, this pretty much killed the show. They lost lots of viewers, and the WB didn't renew them. They were lucky to get a third season from UPN.

We all know how once the audience likes a particular couple together (Liz & Max or Michael & Maria), the producers will do whatever they can to throw a wrench in, to create drama. I think if they had done this less, Roswell wouldn't have been cancelled...at least for a couple more seasons. That said, I still really loved the show. I have the DVDs of the first two seasons, and plan to buy the third once it comes out.
  • I stumbled upon this show looking for something new after I realised that Buffy & Angel weren't coming back and I was immediately hooked. It's a show that is so unique that you can't compare it to anything. This is one of the few shows out there worth wat

I stumbled upon this show looking for something new after I realised that Buffy & Angel weren't coming back and I was immediately hooked. It's a show that is so unique that you can't compare it to anything. This is one of the few shows out there worth watching.This show has an incredible cast and writers that continue to keep the show looking fresh. This show was far ahead of it's time and it's a real shame that it was cancelled after only 3 years but those 3 years were some of the best TV episodes I have every seen.
  • More then a SF series, and more then a Teen-Drama.

Roswell is about the supposed crashing of a UFO, but was it really not a UFO?

Max (Jason Behr), Isabel (Katherine Heigl), Michael (Brendan Fehr) and Tess (Emilie de Ravin) were 4 of the people in that UFO, they grew up in pods untill they were about 6 years old, now 10 years later Liz (Shiri Appleby) got shot by accident when 2 men fighting, Max who had been in love for years ran upto her and healed her. Then the questions began, where was the bullet, why was there a bullethole in her uniform, and why did she had a silver handprint on her body. Sheriff Valenti (William Sadler) heard all his life from his father about aliens that had killed people and left a silver handprint on their body, all those years he, and everyone else didn't believe him, but now he began to believe.

Most teen-dramas rely on storylines that we all have seen already, and get tiring pretty soon, Roswell is something different, they aren't your average teenager, these are teenagers that were with the question, who are we, why are we here, and while looking for the answers they also tryed to live another life, a normal life.
    Some episodes are more about Science Fiction while others are more about Drama, together they give you a good show that doesn't get boring, and keeps you wondering about things.

This show can be compared to some degree to Smallville (the teenage years of Clark Kent/Superman) which started to air a year after Roswell, but this series goes beyond Smallville, the storyline is better, the main problem of Smallville is that they are limited with what they can do because it's a prequel, while Roswell ofcourse doesn't have that problem.

Even though Roswell became a real cult hit the show was still cancelled after it's 3rd season, ofcourse i wished there had been more seasons, but the thing that has, and still does, bugs me most is the fact that the show was cancelled right before the last episode, leaving the writers to make a good ending in 1 episode, which also originally was supposed to be a 2 hour episode, but was after shooting cut to a 1 hour episode because the WB changed their mind on the 2 hour episode, which hopefully will be on the season 3 DVD box which will be out on August 9th.
    On this day fans all over the world are still fighting for a Roswell movie, wether it will succeed or not remains the question, but i truely hope it will.

This show is mainly targeted for ages 13-29, but can also ofcourse be watched by people older then that, if you like these types of shows then i really do recommend to check this show out, the show is currently airing re-runs in the US on SciFi.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >