Roswell

The WB (ended 2002)

Edward_Nigma

Roswell Fan Reviews (187)

• quite slow and not very interesting

3.4
    quite slow and not very interesting the episodes are not detailed are sometimes even rushed up it is mildly interesting but not worth the time it doesnt get you to the edge of ur seat it is quite hard to understand what is going on its boring in many ways
  • Currently watching this. The pilot was great, so I can see why they turned it into a real show, but I'm only a few episodes in and the writers are pretty heavy handed.

4.5

They're struggling to connect simple events, backtracking on plot decisions they were hinting at earlier. A suspicious substitute teacher turns into a... guidance counselor? Many smaller events like this hint at writers flailing around without a plan of action.

Also, it's shockingly slow. I was hoping that it would get better, but other reviewers are saying that this is just going to spin wildly out of control, and I'm not surprised. Seems like a precursor to The Vampire Diaries, which took the same general themes (vampires=aliens, teen drama) but pulled them into exciting, gripping story lines. Frankly, I feel like I'm waiting for the story to ignite, but I have a feeling it's going to resolve in a drawn out chase scene where the characters are running so they won't get caught in the massive plot holes that are always half-a-step behind them.

I'm a master at suspending disbelief, but Roswell is crashing, and I'm going to have to bail.

• Teen angst masquerading as scifi.

I watched Roswell for two reasons. One I usually try and give all scifi/fantasy shows a chance because I'm always feel like I am searching for something to replace the void left by Buffy, Angel, and Firefly/. Two, it comes from the same time and network that gave us Buffy and Angel (amoung other great WB shows). But I just don't get it. I mean human/alien hybrids. It's not that I don't understand it but they way the show is constructed it is really unbelieveable, at least in my eyes. Especially because they seem to lead such human like lives. I understand that Max, Michael, and Isabelle (excuse the spelling if I got the names wrong) have been on earth for awhile but they seem a little to human to me. And underneath all the scifi stuff this is one of the shows filled with all the teenage angst stuff that I do not like and I'm not talking about the kind of teenage stuff that you can find on Dawson's Creek or Everwood (the good kind). I don't like teen angst in the least, especially when they try and cover it up with a scifi plot. The only thing I do like about this show is Max and Liz, they have a really natural chemistry and are quite cute together but that can not be expected to carry a show. However, I could see where if you liked that sort of thing you could get easily addicted to this show. I watched a couple episodes to see if there was any improvement but needless to say I wasn't impressed. The only reason I could keep going was Max and Liz, they were interesting on screen together.
  • Maria's Narratives - SPOILER ALERT

I just re-watched the entire seasons with somebody who miss it during its original airing. During some scenes, Maria is talking to the TV camera in the class room. Who is she talking to? She's talking about the aliens, so I thought it was a counselor. In the season 3 finale, they all agreed to go their separate ways, yet they all left together in the van. Did I miss something. Did they agree to stick together after graduation?

• Not that cool.

6.1
    This interesting story of extraterrestrial alienation is a fascinating metaphor of teen angst -- a topic that has often been treated in movies and on TV, but here it is offered with new and insightful perspective.

The show is a way to symbolize common human fears in an imaginative parable. Issues that are woven into the story line include not knowing who you are, the experience of being a foster child, keeping secrets from parents and other authority figures, the danger of making close personal connections with others, and the isolation of being in or from one's own strange world.

ROSWELL is a clever idea with a fresh, interesting young cast. The show is an imaginative cross between, on the one hand, The X-Files and The Fugitive, and, on the other, the odd perspective of ALF and Third Rock From The Sun. This is an excellent show in a time when too many shows are carbon-copies or silly assembly-line junk. I give the show an A+.
  • Two (alien) boys and a girl trying to find their place in the universe. It could have been great

6.8
    Teen drama love, interesting characters, a deeply embedded cultural myth about to be solved and aliens.

Roswell seemed to have it all to become a classic show; starting with the adolescent stories and growing into more mature themes, dragging their audiences along, growing together.

The show started very well, the main plot seemed very interesting, the acting was good and the stories made the viewers stick around to find along Max, Isabel and Michael about their origins.

Romance was also featured along the science fiction and it made Roswell a very attractive series to different kinds of viewers.

Sadly, something happened to the writing. I can't tell what, it changed, the story stopped making sense, the continuity was strange; facts from previous episodes seemed to have no meaning for the next ones, there were plot holes and inconsistencies that finished the series appeal. Viewers lost interest, as I did.

I am sorry that I wasn't sorry to see Roswell go.
  • The idea was pretty cool, but they changed it into a Mills&Boon tvshow.

I like it at the beginning. It was quite funny, I loved KMichale and Maria getting to each others' pants in this very annoying way... But later they changed it into a harlequine. The episodes were crazy, they Killed Alex... No idea why.
    The one character I stayed truly connected to was Isabel. She was the grown-up. She was to model. I liked that.
  • In the words of Michael Guerin: "It feels so wrong, but it feels so good."

Season 1
    The show started of well enough, even if it looked more like the cliche highschool opera, it had plenty of color added to it by the alien angle. My biggest problem with season 1 is that all the characters are pretty one dimensional: Liz is the good girl, Max is the good guy, Kyle is the jock and so on and so forth. Each character had a very specific role to play which might make the show comfortable to watch, but in the end doesn't bring much in the way of originality. Still, I like a little angst and a little spice and the couple Michael/Maria had plenty of that.
    Season 2
    This is by far my favourite season, a time when the characters really came into their own. The dialogues were clever, touching and the situations were at times dramatic! This season also had some of the funniest one liners, my favourite being: "What do you think alien crystals go for on Ebay". What good work they had done in season 2, the writers demolished it with the finale, making Tess seem like the ultimate evil, after spending most of the season making us like her. And like her I did, damnit!
    Season 3
    "What the f@#$ is going on?" is the question I had been asking myself for most of season 3. The plots in the last season were... they were just bad. Especially the whole body switching plot. That was pointless, badly done, and unintentionally funny. Isabelle and Jesse made a terrible couple, and she took advantage of him more then once. Liz freaked out over having superpowers... and what does this genius do? Go into a new environment away from the people exactly like her. lame.
    Now the season finale was well intentioned but again, like most of season 3, I find it severly lacking. It felt rushed, cheap and not to mention predictable.

In the end, I enjoy watching seasons 1 and 2 from time to time, because they characters are interesting and relatively easy to relate to, but they act totally insufferable in the last season, which in my opinion should not have existed.
  • Roswell was a very interesting series to watch the first year. I like the characters a lot.New characters which bring new sci-fi plots were introduced in the second season as a way to make the story richer in events.But the third year was a total waste of

7.4
    Roswell was a very interesting series to watch the first year. I like the characters a lot. We get attached to them. New characters which bring new sci-fi plots were introduced in the second season. This was an attempt to make the story richer in events. That was a good idea. The results were not always well interpreted. The show evolves between these two seasons but I was still having fun to watch.

But the third year was a total waste of time. This is the time of the downfall of the characters, the lost of their dreams. I listen to the third season’s episodes and feel bored most the time. A lot of episodes were just repetition of the same story line. In my opinion, he should never been produced. I can understand some of the reasoning behind Season 3 plots but the episodes were just boring to watch. The finale of the show was not better – it was predictable. It is sad to see a good show declined like this.

In all fairness, Roswell may have been produced in a time where there was not a big enough market for it. I know that the producers have to fight to keep the show on the air. It seems to me that the network has too big expectations regarding the rating of the show. So basically, Roswell is the perfect example to prove that making changes just to appear to more people can be a huge mistake. Sci-fiction shows, even when you mix with teen romance, are never to be a huge hit because sci-fi is not main stream subject. Networks do not always get it. It is said that Roswell has to pay for it.

I encourage people to view the first 2 seasons and skip the last season. This way you will leave the show with good memories.
  • Potentially a beautiful show which unfortunately was bad developped.

7.4
    Roswell was a beautiful tv show, specially in his first season, but it got worse since the beginning of the second one and even worse with the third.
    What made this show good was the well-written sci-fi plot which worked as a frame of a quite original teen drama: a group of teen aliens with some special powers trying to live a normal life in the high school with friends and home with their families while they must face enemies who want to catch them in order to study or kill them.
    Roswell started great with the pilot - probably the best episode of all the three seasons - and went on being very good over the whole first season: both the sci-fi plot and the development of main characters' relationships were very interesting and quite original, so when you finished watching an episode you couldn't wait for the following.
    Though since the beginning of the second season all the new alien stories weren't so intriguing, often well started but always bad developped. The show lost his originality and started to get boring.
    In the third season many episodes make you ask yourself why are you watching this show yet. Probably the answer to this question is that Roswell started so well that you become fond of the characters and you want to know how their stories end.
  • Reunion: Movie

watched this show when it aired own the series love watching it every once in a while i think it would be awesome for them to do a 10 or 15 year reunion movie where it shows whats happened over the past time maybe even an end of the hunting.......or an invasion??
  • Decent show, but not the best use of my time

I watched 8 episodes of this show, before I made the decision to stop watching. Probably wouldn't have made that decision if there weren't about 6 other really good shows that I'm trying to get through at the same time, and this one just isn't on that level.

The plot and story for this show are decent. I like the idea of having a kind of "moral" to each episode... something that Liz learns as she goes. It progresses the show beyond just a standard sci-fi show to a coming-of-age show, and puts it more on our level.

However, the characters just don't engage my interest. Michael, Isabel, and, to some extent, Alex and Maria, are all interesting, but they're not the main characters. The main characters, Liz and Max, are not engaging at all. Liz is too perfect to keep my interest, and Max... aside from the fact that the writers seem to think that the only things that are needed to make a character interesting are special abilities and a love interest, Max is wooden, passionless, and the main emotion I get from him is discomfort. I think this is due to inexperience on the part of the actor, since Max clearly isn't written that way, and his performance actually reminds me of David Boreanaz's (sp?) in the first season of BtVS - wooden and uncomfortable. The difference is that Angel *wasn't* the driving force in the first season of Buffy (he was just "Cryptic Guy"), while Max *is* meant to be the driving force in Roswell, and he just isn't cutting it. In fact, it's kind of painful to watch him on the screen. He just kind of sucks the life out of the show.

Again, I assume this is due to inexperience on the part of the actor, and if I watched more than 8 episodes, I'd see improvement, much like I did with DB... but unlike the situation with Angel on the first season of Buffy, Max *isn't* a minor character, and the other characters, while interesting, just aren't enough to hold me through until he improves.
  • the roswell crash of 1947... what was up with that? it turns out some alien human royalty was sent to earth in a bid to save their race!!!

i loved this show but i understand why it was cancelled. it was convoluted (much like my writing!) and unsure of itself. things weren't explained correctly and there were internal issues too apparently. the thing is, it was actually good. when i look back at it, i find myself finding new things out everytime i see an episode which explains more stuff; which makes more sense. that re-watchableness (i am aware that is not a word) makes the show specia to me. indeed the aliens were selfish, killing humans with little care on occasion, and the lives of the humans they were involved with were ruined but in a weird way, that is the reality of life and even if it is told with alien doubles and shapeshifters... well, does it matter. if you don't get my jist from all these ramblings, this was a good show. watch it - NOW!!!!
  • Roswell is about three aliens living on earth. They survived the Roswell crash and now live in the town. They appear to be humans, and are now teenagers and going to high school.

7.6
    I found this series to be very interesting in it's take on aliens. It was definitely a unique take to make them teenagers. At times I found it soppy and over the top, but most of the scientific alien origin storylines were quite interesting.
    However, the series is nothing like real life on my home planet of Montrag'qe. It was hard to believe that the aliens were able to appear to be humans. It was also strange that they had such human tendencies. When my planet was under attack from the Zoptricians, our Queen found the planet of Earth to move us to. It was easy to find a forest for us to live in, which is a lot like our habitat. I was the first Montrag'qen to be moved here, as I was found guilty of a crime (which I do not wish to disclose). However, I was not able to be killed as my mother is a famous war hero. So the solution of sending me here to test the atmosphere was approved. Luckily, the atmosphere was okay, and I found a large forest in Australia to live in. Anyway, I have sampled a lot of aliens shows and find this to be one of the most amusing. Prinktak.
  • i have never seen this show

7.9
    i have never seen this show. so why do i rate it so well, you ask? all i have ever heard is good things about it. i think i have seen that it replays on some network but i cannot remember which. hopefully someday i will stumble across it and get hooked.
  • Netflix + Roswell = Bliss!

I just discovered Roswell on Netflix. I am grateful to take the risk and watch this TV show. I got hooked immediately!! I'm just sad the series has been done over 10 years ago. I agree with everyone that wants a reunion show/special/movie. That would be awesome!
  • Unlike other shows of this kind I really enjoyed watching it.

This show has some real SciFi flavor, there still is this whole high school-romance thing and the combination of the two were probably the death of it but as long as it lasted it was alright.

I got to say I was really surprised when I started enjoying it after just a few episodes. It is fun to watch and the characters are well written. The usually boring 'out of the ordinary' episodes, for this genre, were actually interesting not just dumb flashbacks that were done to have something that fits the season (well there are those, but they are still watchable) or just for the sake of having to do something different this year, again.
    The acting was mostly good. I especially liked Majandra Delfino, great actress.

All in all kudos to the writers they managed to make keep this show interesting.
  • Great! this show has everything in it.

i love this show. it has romance, drama, sci fi and teen angst. a complicated mixture. the characters are great and i must admit i cried a bit when alex died. he was such a good character- a bit geeky, that humour that only geeks can have and he so sweet and devoted to izzy. the on-off romance between liz/max always kept me watching the show and i thought it was such a good plot twist when max got tess pregnant. maria/michael was another great relationship if only because of the way the could hate each other one minute then be crazy about each other the next. the sly little comments they would make at each other when they were fighting always had me laughing. kyle had a few good one liners aswell. i must admit though that i thought that izzy getting married kinda annoyed me. i loved the way the show focused on the normal humans that were affected too because it showed another point of view other than how hard it is to be an alien living on another planet. the royalty thing knida annoyed me a bit.
  • This is an okay show to watch .... not my favorite though

This was a good TV show it was only on air for three seasons it was kinda like watching a really long movie rather than actually watching a TV show if your into UFO kinda things you would probably love this show .... I myself personally do not believe in anything UFO I think its all bogus but this was an good show to watch its worth watching once .....
  • Pretty good show. I didn't watch it from the every begining, but I ended up liking the show a lot.I also hated that damn luv triangle to. Shiri Appleby and Jason Behr. I was like please stay with one another or break up for good.It was getting old fast.

I will admit I got hooked on this show. It was cool and pretty good sci fi show. And I should mention Katherine Heigal is really hot. Anyone watches Grey's Anatomy? She still banging hot. And for Roswell, toward the end of the series the writers were so confused on how to end the damn thing. I mean it was every where, the plot and all. It's too bad that it started going down hill fast. That's what happens when the writers don't write ahead of time and think before they just write anything.
  • From a book series, rises a television phenomenon that attempts to show the hardships that three alien teenagers must face.

From a book series, rises a television phenomenon that attempts to show the hardships that three alien teenagers must face. Interactions with humans is difficult but only because they are aware that if their condition is known, nothing good can arrive. Nevertheless, relationships form between the aliens and the humans which lead to the creation of a plot that leaves viewers wondering. The relationships range from friendly to romantic as secrets are further revealed. The mystery arrives in the search of answers about the planet that the aliens come from and from what they have learned to call "home", Earth. Roswell is sure to interest anyone with its dramatic and mysterious storyline.
  • Science fiction show for teens. I'm in. Totally in.

I watched 'Roswell' since it's first ever episode, and was hooked instantly.

I think 'aliens' was like a theme for me around that time, as I believe I started watching 'Roswell' around the same time like 'The X-Files'. Of course, as 'Roswell' dug more specifically into the world of teenagers, its appeal increased for me. =)

I watched this show religiously, until the local channel stopped the airing midway through. I didn't really mind that much, because the storylines begun to go downhill from that point on (not to mention there's this death happened to a character I really really like).

Now? I miss the show. Really do. Thinking of buying the entire three seasons, even. While it may not be perfect, it's hugely entertaining. It's heavy on drama, but with some science fiction twist. I imagine it would be perfect for holiday marathon or something.
  • I miss it

I don't know about you guys but i really miss it. i used to watch every episode with my sister and i think they should bring it back or at least show reruns. This programme led me into my imaginative years and i want it back. Maybe someday. Who Knows.
  • How is it possible?

I am very confused about why I like this show because I'm neither a fan of teen dramas (which are almost as bad as soapies) nor am I that big of a fan of Sci-Fi with very few exceptions. I guess what makes the show entertaining to me is the balance of self-discovery, alien powers, humour and drama which are all well done in the series.

As Roswell progresses the show's plots seem to get better and more climactic up until Departure, the second season finale and one of my favourite episodes. The third season of the show just isn't as appealing but it remains entertaining throughout the show.

Overall, the development and conspiracies of Roswell are very entertaining and the show also has a lot of heart, which can occasionally be overdone but is generally a great balance for a great show.
  • Guilty pleasure

I loved this show so much, it was on terrible times in Australia, so I would have to sneak out of bed in the middle of the night to watch (got me into a bit of trouble too!) was just wonderful.
  • not bad

i jus finidhed watching entire season 1 and cant wait 4 season 2!! i still like sliders show better i think but i thivk i may like these equally now :D l o lo l ol o l o l ol o l o l o l o l o lo l o l o l ol o l o l ol o l o l ll o l o l ol o l o l o l o l ol o l o l o lo l o l o lo l o l ol o l o l
  • Roswell

Summary: Aliens crash land on Earth and are reborn as half humans, and now they must survive with people. The story is told from the viewpoint of Liz Parker, who is also the lead character in the series.

Season One: 9.0/10
    Season Two: 9.0/10
    Season Three: 9.0/10

Characters: 8.5/10

Acting: 9.0/10

Music: 7.5/10

Overall: 9.0/10

Opinion: As you can probably tell from my scores, I find this to be an overall very balanced show. Although it is certainly not my favorite series, I greatly enjoyed it in the year that I saw it. I still have fond memories of it, and would watch it again on television.
  • Classic - X-Files meets Saved by the Bell!

I can't believe I had never heard or seen a glimpse of Roswell until last week. I am a little behind the times, but I guess it's never too late to become a Ros-maniac. This show has all the ingredients. Good cast, interesting story line, humor, relationships and it makes for an entertaining hour of TV. Katherine Heigl as Isabel is great. She's a delicate, tough girl who seems to have a fetish for leather pants. Jashon Behr as Max makes for a great leader and his body guard Micheal played by Brendan Fehr is the funniest of them all. I'm already into season 2 and can't wait to get back to the TV to see how this Show develops.
  • Roswell is about max, michael and isabel, who are aliens trying to know where they came from. With the help of liz, maria and alex, they all discover things along the way while discovering romance and drama that is Roswell

This show is now around eight years old and i never watched it back then, neither did i know it existed. I guess i didn't really watch tv back then. But my friend gave me all of the series to watch, i am halfway through season 1 and i have to say that this show is excellent. i have always bin a fan of sci-fi but i didn't think that this show would be any good but i was very wrong. i wish it could of gone over 3 seasons but seeing that i'm only through the first season, i dont know how the series will end up. but so far, i love it and i'm gonna get a copy of my own when i have finished the series.
  • I joke that Roswell is like Dawson's Creek meets the X-Files.

I never watched the show when it was aired on the WB. I came across it recently when I was home sick. Now I can't get enough. I really like the realationship between Michael and Maria. They are too funny. I actually preferred them over Max and Liz. I have all three seasons on dvd and try to watch a few episodes whenever I have the chance. I have not seen most of season 3 (yet) but I have seen the last episode and I have to admitt that they wrapped up the show pretty well. However I think a fourth season would have been great.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7