Roswell

The WB (ended 2002)

Edward_Nigma

Roswell Fan Reviews (187)

• Maria's Narratives - SPOILER ALERT

I just re-watched the entire seasons with somebody who miss it during its original airing. During some scenes, Maria is talking to the TV camera in the class room. Who is she talking to? She's talking about the aliens, so I thought it was a counselor. In the season 3 finale, they all agreed to go their separate ways, yet they all left together in the van. Did I miss something. Did they agree to stick together after graduation?

• Guilty pleasure

I loved this show so much, it was on terrible times in Australia, so I would have to sneak out of bed in the middle of the night to watch (got me into a bit of trouble too!) was just wonderful.
  • Forever Fan

I watched Roswell when it first came out and was addicted to it. It came to an end far too soon and I was absolutely crushed. I have seen the Roswell actors in various movies and tv shows since but will remember them as Roswell teens. I have just purchased the series so I can watch them a multitude of times as I do my Land of the Giants.
  • new show

we need some new shows do a reuion show and tv episodes of roswell please thanks
  • How did I miss it!

I found this show on Netflix, I Love It. I was in college when this show was running. I have no clue why I never watched it. I sure hate it's been gone 13 years now. I have watched them over and over. I really wish Liz and Max had another movie or something together.

• They are among us

ADDICTIVE AND GREAT
  • Netflix + Roswell = Bliss!

I just discovered Roswell on Netflix. I am grateful to take the risk and watch this TV show. I got hooked immediately!! I'm just sad the series has been done over 10 years ago. I agree with everyone that wants a reunion show/special/movie. That would be awesome!
  • The Whole ROSWELL programe

roswell has changed my life it is the greatest programe i have ever seen thank you actors directors producers editors thank you evryone to do with roswell
  • Reunion: Movie

watched this show when it aired own the series love watching it every once in a while i think it would be awesome for them to do a 10 or 15 year reunion movie where it shows whats happened over the past time maybe even an end of the hunting.......or an invasion??
  • Currently watching this. The pilot was great, so I can see why they turned it into a real show, but I'm only a few episodes in and the writers are pretty heavy handed.

4.5

They're struggling to connect simple events, backtracking on plot decisions they were hinting at earlier. A suspicious substitute teacher turns into a... guidance counselor? Many smaller events like this hint at writers flailing around without a plan of action.

Also, it's shockingly slow. I was hoping that it would get better, but other reviewers are saying that this is just going to spin wildly out of control, and I'm not surprised. Seems like a precursor to The Vampire Diaries, which took the same general themes (vampires=aliens, teen drama) but pulled them into exciting, gripping story lines. Frankly, I feel like I'm waiting for the story to ignite, but I have a feeling it's going to resolve in a drawn out chase scene where the characters are running so they won't get caught in the massive plot holes that are always half-a-step behind them.

I'm a master at suspending disbelief, but Roswell is crashing, and I'm going to have to bail.

• I'll never forget Roswell.

This show really should have lasted longer. Never have I loved a television couple more than I loved the relationship between Max and Liz. In fact, the bonds between ALL the characters on this show are the reason I tuned in week after week. The chemistry between Appleby and Behr is undeniable and their tragic, epic love affair rivaled that of other primetime supercouples. Even Buffy and Angel couldn't compare to Max and Liz. Has anything ever been romantic than the moment Max healed Liz? Has anything ever been more poignant than the day Michael decided that life with Maria was more important than going home to Antar? Has anything been more tragic than the look on Max's face when he finally understood the depth of Tess' betrayal? Has anyone ever felt more bereft and alone than Izzie did when she lost Alex, only moments after finally finding him? Has any family ever experienced the heartbreak that the Valenti's felt after losing Tess?

The answer is yes. Yes, we have all felt betrayed, bereft, heartbroken, alone. And we have all, in some form or another, experienced joy, love, sacrifice... and that's what made Roswell so brilliant. Because it brought these emotions into our homes each week, and the actors portrayed them with truth and eloquence. Acting is about truth and writing is about life. Roswell may have been a show about aliens, but it was an exercise in humanity.
  • Season 1 was the heart & soul of the Roswell story & i watch the season 1 like 4 times. and after the season 1 it just lost the story & just keeps getting boring.

and after the season 1 it just lost the story & just keeps getting boring.

The is my personal ratings for Roswell. Season 1 i will give 10 points, Season 2 like 8 points & Season 3 like 6 points, but the final Episode was great they End the season with a very good & happy ending but they never get to their home world & free their people.

On season 2 future max told Liz that he & Tess must be together to insure their survival but later on Tess has nothing to do with the story.
  • My favorite show of all time, and I don't bestow that title lightly.

I shouldn't be admitting this, but when Roswell originally aired it took my wife ten episodes to get me to watch. Once I did, I was kicking myself I hadn't been on board from day one, and not just because she insisted on gloating each and every day after. Up until about halfway through the second season, there is no show that captured and so completely engrossed me as this one. Seriously, if the show were a woman, I would have married her immediately and remained faithful for fifty glorious years, finally dying holding her hand like a scene from "The Notebook". I really did fall in love with every aspect of Roswell, from the often crazy and always kooky sci fi story lines, to the perfect music that seemed to settle around each scene, framing it and raising it to another level.(Any show that has Sarah Mclachlan's "Fear", Dave Mathews Band's "Crash Into Me", and of course Dido's "Here With Me" all in the first episode already has me hooked) But what set the show apart was the romance - the quick but so incredibly intense looks shared between characters each and every episode or the flashes of a thousand years spent together each time they kissed or even brushed against one another. The writers skillfully took full advantage of the concept that half the characters were aliens to amp up the love stories, while also often amping up the angst in the process. There is a Romeo and Juliet feel to the relationship between alien Max and human Liz right from the beginning. As the story progresses it's impossible not to enjoy watching them fall in love even as they face obstacle after obstacle. The second human/alien couple, Michael and Maria, have personalities that clash in all the best possible ways and allow the writers to explore completely different but just as rewarding character development as a result. The two couples could not be more different, but compliment one another for exactly this reason. When you add in the remaining family and friends, you have a group of people you can't help but both identify with and care about, even as your watch them care for each other. I really do love this show with all my heart. If I were Bill Gates rich I would immediately reassemble the cast and start filming tomorrow, although I would insist upon rewriting the story beginning with where my favorite episode, "The End of the World", leaves off, and where in my estimation the show got away from some of what made it so wonderful. Needless to say, my wife continues to taunt that it was she who discovered this series, as well as Veronica Mars. I suppose I shouldn't complain, but ought to instead be excited to find out what she's picked for me this season. As always I will be watching dutifully, grasping everywhere for some semblance of the elements that made me fall so hard for Roswell.
  • not bad

i jus finidhed watching entire season 1 and cant wait 4 season 2!! i still like sliders show better i think but i thivk i may like these equally now :D l o lo l ol o l o l ol o l o l o l o l o lo l o l o l ol o l o l ol o l o l ll o l o l ol o l o l o l o l ol o l o l o lo l o l o lo l o l ol o l o l
  • #1 Show i have ever watched

I watched Roswell couple of years ago and that time i did not watch it so regularly. Recently i watched it and i finished all the episodes within a week :). i love Roswell and everyone in it. Max and Liz specially. If there was a fourth o fifth o sixth season Im sure ill be ready to watch it. God.. i wish roswell didnt end with only three seasons.
    All the stories are linked so perfectly. i love the love story of max and lix. They are like the most romantic couple i have ever seen. BEST SHOW EVER..
  • Great show!

I did not discover Roswell until it was already off the air. Gotta love those DVD's! I think the fact this show only got three seasons is an absolute tragedy and just goes to prove their are TV shows that do not get near as much time as they should. Think about it: This show basically launched the careers of Katherine Heigl & Sheri Appleby. Both actresses I enjoy very much. Love Katherine & Sheri in just about everything I have seen them in! This show had wonderful writing & great acting. It had a great mix of action/sci-fi & romance. It's just a shame that it never found an audience big enough to keep it on the air b/c it was a great show! One of my all time favorites!
  • From a book series, rises a television phenomenon that attempts to show the hardships that three alien teenagers must face.

From a book series, rises a television phenomenon that attempts to show the hardships that three alien teenagers must face. Interactions with humans is difficult but only because they are aware that if their condition is known, nothing good can arrive. Nevertheless, relationships form between the aliens and the humans which lead to the creation of a plot that leaves viewers wondering. The relationships range from friendly to romantic as secrets are further revealed. The mystery arrives in the search of answers about the planet that the aliens come from and from what they have learned to call "home", Earth. Roswell is sure to interest anyone with its dramatic and mysterious storyline.
  • Who has not felt like an alien among us??

Roswell with it's cutting edge music and first class cast had to be the best sci-fi drama since The X files . Although it was allegedly for teen viewers I found it to be addictive . Call it an old mans guilty pleasure , like the book Among us was to the King of Antar . An inventive twist on the tired story of the Roswell incident . I absolutely love it to this day . I have the disc set and close every day with my fix!!! Hope I'm not alone in this crush . Lets hope Terminater pans out it's my last best hope for a break in the Sci-Fi monotony that is television CES73
  • Roswell

Summary: Aliens crash land on Earth and are reborn as half humans, and now they must survive with people. The story is told from the viewpoint of Liz Parker, who is also the lead character in the series.

Season One: 9.0/10
    Season Two: 9.0/10
    Season Three: 9.0/10

Characters: 8.5/10

Acting: 9.0/10

Music: 7.5/10

Overall: 9.0/10

Opinion: As you can probably tell from my scores, I find this to be an overall very balanced show. Although it is certainly not my favorite series, I greatly enjoyed it in the year that I saw it. I still have fond memories of it, and would watch it again on television.
  • Science Fiction with a wonderful plot

This show is about Science Fiction with some Drama and when you watch one episode you fall in love with the characters: Max (Jason Behr), Isabel (Katherine Heigl), Michael (Brendan Fehr) and Tess (Emilie de Ravin). They came from the space crashing of a UFO. They have secret powers and live like normal people but looking for answers and trying to understand who they are, why they are here on the Earth Planet.
    The plot is so amazing that you can't be bored and keeps you wondering about the next episode.
    The show also had an unforgettable soundtrack.
    It's a show that is so unique that you can't compare it to anything. It's a pity just have 3 seasons.
  • Best series ever?

This may well be the best tv series that only a few poeple ever saw. It was on WB and UPN when they were just getting started and they both had small coverage. If you liked Lost, you will love Roswell. The writing is simply the best. The plot is well thought thru and stays on point. The writing is a great example of how you can keep people interested while not bogging it down by too much dragging things out. (My only issue with some of Lost). The first season is on Hulu so you can try it out, but be warned, you will get hooked!
  • This show really had some moments.

Despite it being a ridiculous sci-fi show, it was a great cast and they had something. I just bought the box set and its great. It has also made some major stars, Katherine Heigel is amazing and Emille De Raven is just so wonderful.Jason Behr really made that show so watchable. I believe he was responsible for the chemistry that was intense between him and Liz. I know it has become a cult classic and most people who did watch the show actually liked it. I hope most people can see the efforts put into the show by the actors. Its one of the better shows the WB pumped out.
  • Best TV Show Ever?

Roswell, being a fantastic and cleverly understood TV show, is definately up there in my top ten shows. Along with Charmed and Buffy, it is a classic supernatural series, which shows classic paranormal characters dealing with their everyday problems but also struggling with their other-wordly duties. The cast are extraordinary actors and actresses, with the potential to move away from Roswell onto bigger and better things. The pilot episode just had fans instantly hooked, and tuning in week after week to see the amazing turnouts and events that filled the show. The series had a spectacular final episode which left the fans longing for more, but glad the characters lived [pause] happily ever after.
  • I know it has its faults and people often judge it unfairly (particularly those people who claim to love Smallville but hate Roswell)but what I have for this show is just utter love, no other way to describe it.

This is, and always will be my all time favourite show. So much so that when watching 'Smallville' for the pleasure of seeing Jensen Ackles flash his beautiful smile I feel like I am cheating on 'Roswell'. Yes it is far from perfect, but I think its flaws are also one of my favourite things about it.
    The characterisation is just spectacular, I blame the character of Alex for my unbelievably weird love for Colin Hanks (a pleasure that living in the UK also doesn't come cheap thanks to Colin's obsession with making small independent movies which never get released in this country lol) and it is the bonds between the characters that also just draws me into this world. The relationship between Max, Michael and Isabel, and then the later addition of Tess. And looking at how much these character change and develop once the humans enter their world. Watching the development of the relationships throughout all three seasons is amazing, especially because each one is just so individual. Michael's utter change from feeling like he doesn't belong anywhere on the earth, to deciding he has to stay on earth because he can't leave Maria. Max and Liz's struggle to overcome his role and destiny to be together, Izzy's reluctance to admit how she really feels about Alex until it is too late, a mistake she doesn't let happen when it comes to Jesse. Kyle's bond with Tess and the utter realisation that it was all a farce on her side when he discovers what she did, what she forced him to help her do. Valenti's bond with all the teens - whether it be his son, humans, or aliens he will give up everyhting for them. The sweet and gentle friendship between Alex, Maria and Liz, and the later friendship between Izzy and Kyle, a bond merged out of grief, resentment at Max, and the realsiation that Tess betrayed them in similar ways. It really is just a great story to follow, with tragic losses, great rewards, and a few laughs, some of which include strips and nipples, being buired underground and singing American Pie, Buddha and seeing what happens to aliens if they get drunk!
  • This is one of the best shows ever! Just watch and see it for yourself. Great characters, interesting story, amazing scenes. Just try! I did and I just loved it.

This is one of the best shows ever!
    I just finished watching Roswell and I needed to come here, so say something.
    Most people can look at this show and think "oh another alien tv show", Roswell is more than that.

It is about fears, joys, honesty, survival, relationships, future, finding your path, discover your past and so on...
    What I like the most about this show is the fact that I get emotional, I like their feelings and that's one of the things I like in TV show or movies, I want to be moved. I show that doesn't make you cry or smile or even scream is not my type of show. I need to feel something to like it and this show gave me that. Right now I sad because it's over but it was great, I had a great time re-watching some of the episodes and seeing others for the first time, this time nothing escaped. I also liked the way they made the special effects, they were good, simple, effective, nothing like those normal big non realistic effects we use to see.

I'm happy and sad at the same time, I'm glad I saw this show again and I'll see it again someday but I'm sad it's over, I'm always sad when something I like is over.

Just to rap this up, you should see this show. Not because it's just a TV show but because you are going to love it, the funny moments, the sad ones, the intense ones and you can see the chemistry between the characters. The story doesn't stop evolving and there are always new discoveries to be made. Just watch and see it for yourself.
  • Teen angst masquerading as scifi.

I watched Roswell for two reasons. One I usually try and give all scifi/fantasy shows a chance because I'm always feel like I am searching for something to replace the void left by Buffy, Angel, and Firefly/. Two, it comes from the same time and network that gave us Buffy and Angel (amoung other great WB shows). But I just don't get it. I mean human/alien hybrids. It's not that I don't understand it but they way the show is constructed it is really unbelieveable, at least in my eyes. Especially because they seem to lead such human like lives. I understand that Max, Michael, and Isabelle (excuse the spelling if I got the names wrong) have been on earth for awhile but they seem a little to human to me. And underneath all the scifi stuff this is one of the shows filled with all the teenage angst stuff that I do not like and I'm not talking about the kind of teenage stuff that you can find on Dawson's Creek or Everwood (the good kind). I don't like teen angst in the least, especially when they try and cover it up with a scifi plot. The only thing I do like about this show is Max and Liz, they have a really natural chemistry and are quite cute together but that can not be expected to carry a show. However, I could see where if you liked that sort of thing you could get easily addicted to this show. I watched a couple episodes to see if there was any improvement but needless to say I wasn't impressed. The only reason I could keep going was Max and Liz, they were interesting on screen together.
  • Great!

Roswell is a show I always new it existed, but never watched for a really long time. 9 years after it aired I watched it. So as you can guess, I will discuss some plot in here, so be warned.

Let's start with the first season. Season one is the 'innocent' one. Innocent love and everything, you know. Everything starts of with a lot of action: Liz gets shot. All characters are introduced quick, but on a complex level. I think that was brilliantly done. Not many shows can present so many deep characters in their first episode. So we start out with the alien trio and the two girls.
    Like during the entire show, there are some things I don't understand and/or do not make sense to me. Well and of course there are things I don't understand.
    I will get to that later, so let's go on with the seasons.
    Season two got more complex with the fourth alien. Everything gets more mature now: sex, moving on, getting away from the first love. It is also a pretty tough season with the dead people and so.
    Then the third season: I know it was on a different network and everything, but I have my trouble with it. The first half of the season, suddenly involves all the parents, or at least some of them. That was a big change. We only knew Maria's mother – well she was in the plot, but now we suddenly have so many parents involved – it is almost disturbing. Then the season changes pretty abrupt and builds up the show down. In the pretty short season things are a bit rushed in the second half and leave many open questions.

So let's get on to the discussion of the series.
    The first season was really focused on Liz and Max: that kind of intense but still innocent relationship. Shiri Appleby is so sweet in that season, brilliantly played as well. The highlight of that relationship is clearly the cleverly plotted episode Sexual Healing. I know many people don't like that episode, but I feel sorry for these. People who despite sex and have no understanding of erotic.

The second season is more complex with Max ending up more alone every day, but always can rely on his mate Tess. Surprisingly she is the stable factor, even though nobody really likes her. Well then she even ends up pregnant. A very nice storyline.
    Her leaving was really a shock for me.

Well the third season is really difficult in my eyes. The first half, our heroes are constantly bothered by some adults – their own parents. Then suddenly the season changes into something completely different. Suddenly all are on the run. That second half looks a bit rushed and not complete and especially not completely thought through.
    What I really liked though, how the parents storyline picked up the pregnancy thing. That was a brilliant turn.

So let's get to the persons again. Max the always tortured soul is played nice, but I often missed that last bit of royalty he should have had. Sometimes he's more like a dog to Liz than anything else – but hey, when you could be the dog of such a marvellous women, why not?!

Michael a character I never really understood. Tortured in a very own way. I don't understand why he didn't have the strongest powers at the beginning. I mean we the New York kids learned them faster, because they needed them to survive – he too, so I don't understand. Under pressure you find them faster.

Isabelle the smartest of them all and a pure control freak. She really had the hardest time ever. I mean she was never asked, but she had the brains to answer everything. She was in the middle of the impulsive Michael and the always demanding Max. She was always alone. Well till Jesse came along. She needed something to break out and so she did. Why she left him behind is still a mystery to me. He has proven not to be a liability, so I don't understand why she left him behind. The only guess I have is – she needed to torture herself – especially for her own past and to make up her weak position in the group.

Kyle the good guy – he never got the girl. Maybe he'll get Isabelle in the future. I hope for him. The Buddhist thing and his sarcastic comments were just brilliant – and his protection of Tess. When she returned home and asked for milk for the baby, he did my favourite quote of the entire series: Don't you breast feed (to Tess). Hilarious!

Liz, the main character – basically. She's super hot and super sweet. You just have to fall in love with her. She sure is the dream girl, especially since she is so smart as well.

Maria was the character I really hated. She always got on my nerves. Always!

The old Valenti – he's maybe the only real good guy in the story. The question I asked myself: what will he do, when he starts changing? He lost everything and he will be all alone when he has changed. He's the person I really feel sorry for.

Alex was the person I think the show didn't really need. Well he was only good for one thing: I believe he was the absolute only love for Isabelle. Jesse was just an excuse.

Jesse was another character I didn't really like – but since he turned out to be a good guy I was sad, to see him rejected just like that.

Tess – well what about her. That's actually a really good question. On one hand, she gave Max everything he ever could wish for – on the other hand, she betrayed everyone. Everyone. On the other hand again, she went into death for all the others. She did good and she did really bad. A good character though.

So now let's get to things I had my problems with.
    In season one Katherine Heigl just looks way to adult compared to all the others. She somehow doesn't fit in.

In the last episodes the secret unit is back. The problem is: they are not really organized anymore – but their business is information. But that something you can't get decentralised. You can do a guerrilla fight separated, but a precise military organization is somehow not possible. When you go after something static, it might work, but not with a dynamic enemy. Why they were suddenly so strong – I don't understand and think it couldn't be right.

Then things I really enjoyed:
    Liz fighting Tess.
    The Bewitched alike episode.
    Liz' love for Max.
    Liz' wedding dress.

Unanswered questions for me:
    What happened to the Tess girl from New York? The other two somehow got destroyed or so, but what happened to her?
    Then the entire storyline about Max and Isabelle's parents at the end was way to short. So I get the impression that their mother was really freaked out by everything. But what exactly did they know in the end?

Also why are the kids so well protected and hidden in the desert, when their UFO crashed and basically got destroyed? It somehow doesn't really make sense to me.

All in all a show I really enjoyed and love. Another show I missed on its original airing – but I got lucky and was able to watch it. I really enjoyed that show.
  • Classic - X-Files meets Saved by the Bell!

I can't believe I had never heard or seen a glimpse of Roswell until last week. I am a little behind the times, but I guess it's never too late to become a Ros-maniac. This show has all the ingredients. Good cast, interesting story line, humor, relationships and it makes for an entertaining hour of TV. Katherine Heigl as Isabel is great. She's a delicate, tough girl who seems to have a fetish for leather pants. Jashon Behr as Max makes for a great leader and his body guard Micheal played by Brendan Fehr is the funniest of them all. I'm already into season 2 and can't wait to get back to the TV to see how this Show develops.
  • Roswell, a teen drama about 4 aliens growing up in modern day Roswell New Mexico. This show ended before its time, and very rapidly.

This late 90's television show ended way before its time. It is a show about 4 aliens growing up in modern Roswell New Mexico. They crash landed on Earth in 1947 and where hidden away in the mountains. Growing inside incubation chambers, the fab four emerge in the 80's unsure of where they are and what to do. As they emerge they seem to look like normal american children, but as they grow older they realize there is a lot more to them than just a unique heritage. They each have powers, and destiny's. As they chase their destiny, the FBI's special unit finds out about them, and starts a hunt. Now just trying to survive, and maintain what little normalcy they have left, and protect the one's they have grown to love it becomes an epic battle. In this show, like a lot of the 80's shows I used to watch, every episode has a hidden message for today's youth. I love shows that actually have a plot, and this is one of the best in my opinion. The alien squad are Max, Isabelle, Michael, and Tess. They also have a small group of friends they totally trust, and they are Liz, Maria, Alex, Kyle, and Kyle's father Jim. So if you are into teen dramas or just good old fashioned scifi, you won't waste your time with "Roswell".
  • Roswell is about 4 aliens (Max,Isabel,Michael,Tess) on Earth and came to circumstances where humans got involved - people they got linked with and loved. It's all about friendship,family,love, anger,death,responsibility,and trust with sci-fi complexity.

As I watched the first episode of Roswell, I really got so interested as to what happens next. I loved each and every episode in each season, except for the last episode of Season 3 (Graduation)... I don't like the fact that Roswell ended here. There's gotta be more as the characters were just about to start a new chapter of their lives. At this point, it should become more interesting. Unfortunately, there is no next episode nor new season. Roswell's story should be continued with its original cast of characters. This would become more exciting since it last aired on 2002 and we're now in 2008. Many people loved Roswell, just as much as I did and which I still do. Bring it back... Bring Roswell back...