Secrets and Lies (1)

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 30, 2001 on The WB

• Max goes to LA

Whenever I think back to this episode I remember not liking it very much, but I re-watched it last night and I really enjoyed it. I think the best parts of this episode come from the Valenti family. The Jim and his father story line was dropped earlier and it is nice to see it come back. Kyle is really great in this episode as the caring grandson who just wants his family to come back together. This really starts his progression this season as becoming such a good and mature guy. Liz also looks really pretty in this episode which will excuse some of her more annoying moments. It is Max in LA that gives me the most trouble, because some of it was corny and the audition scene was a bit forced, but the rest of it was really hilarious and the scenes with Sharona (I know that's not her real name, but I'm a Monk fan) were funny. And finally Isabel's confession to her parents was great and so in character for her. So I gained a new appreciation for this episode.
  • Max goes to Los Angeles in search of a second shapeshifter that could help him rescue his son on Antar.

It's a good episode overall. There is a surprising revelation at the end. Not something critical to the plot line but something that most won't see coming.

There are severall good moments in this episode. Liz into helping Max even if it means losing him. She's risking a whole lot by doing this but she carry on because of her love for him. The moments between the two are pretty good. The other good moments are regarding Kyle's grandfather. Especially the scene where Jim visits him and the Valenti senior jumps off his chair to mark on the calendar the day his son visited him. Another good moment is when Isabel tells her parents about her wedding with Jesse and they're like ''what the ****?'' Also the moments with Max and his ''agent'' are funny. Max blows an audition for The Enterprise and his agent tells him ''ah don't worry there is still Buffy''. Good stuff.