Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles

Plasma Bugs of Navarone

Aired Unknown Aug 31, 1999 on Syfy

7.8
  • While on a retrieval mission on Pluto, Lt. Ibanez and MAJ. Barkalow become stranded within the same building. The Roughnecks then try to secure a route to allow an Emergency Evac carrier to rescue Ibanez and the other people trapped inside.

While another character building episode, there was plenty of action to ensure that the viewers didn't get bored by the story development, but it didn't overshadow the main aspects of the episode, such as the introduction of Major Zander Barkalow and formal introduction of Carmen Ibanez, Rico's crush since high-school. While the previous episode portrayed what the people in the front line went through during the war, this episode focussed more on what it is like to be a pilot in the middle of a crisis. With their plane totalled, Ibanez and Barkalow were forced to wait for another transport to pick them up.

While in most situations, the pilot is portrayed as someone who does nothing but operate a motorized vehicle, RSTC disolves this stereotype by allowing Barkalow and Ibanez the ability to know exactly what they have to do in order to stay alive long enough to be rescued. In my opinion, this strengthened my love of the show; the pilots possessed personalities that were both likeable (the ability to think on one's feet given any circumstances) and unlikeable (blocking out another's suggestions due to opinions one had drawn up about them).

That said, I would only give this episode an 8 out of 10, simply because there were some aspects of the episode I found to be predictable, for instance, the bugs breaking through the sealed entrance, and Barkalow's flirting with Ibanez. It held my attention at some points where I found myself checking the clock at others.