Route 66 Forums

CBS (ended 1964)

Route 66 and other "road shows"

tvking1

[1]Jul 21, 2007
    • level: 42

Route 66 may have been the first of TV's "road shows". One thing that set it apart from the others that followed was that Tod and Linc, and later Buzz, weren't running to or from anything, just seeking adventure, and finding it. There was one other such show, Then Came Bronson (NBC 1969-70), which featured a man who quit his job as a reporter to discover America on his motorcycle.

Other road shows featured men who were on the run to or from something or someone. In The Fugitive (ABC 1963-67) David Janssen played a doctor falsly convicted of his wife's murder, and escaped death row to find the one-armed man, his wife's killer, all the while avoiding the persistent Lt. Gerard. Then, in Run For Your Life (NBC 1965-6there was Ben Gazzara as a lawyer who was also just seeking adventure, but with a twist: he was told he had two years to live, so he set out to live his whole life in the time left (the show lasted three years, after which he was still alive and kicking). In The Immortal (ABC 1970-71), Christopher George played a test car driver who had a unique blood condition: it made him immune to disease or aging, a blessing, except that he was on the run from a greedy business man who sought it for himself, at any cost. In Kung Fu (ABC 1972-75) David Carradine was a gentle man who killed an imperial guard in his native China in self-defense, and escaped to America, constantly hounded by bounty hunters, using his martial arts skills only as a last resort. The Incredible Hulk (CBS 1978-82) featured Bill Bixby as a scientist who was on the road seeking a cure for his "condition", and avoiding a pesky reporter who, like the rest of the world, thinks he's dead.

Route 66 was more or less to road shows what Dragnet was to cop shows, the Granddaddy of them all.

(P.S. Run For Your Life ran 1965-68. I don't know where that sunny face came from, and I can't seem to get rid of it.)

Edited on 07/22/2007 6:55am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MultiMedea

[2]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 39

A short little correction: Tod Stiles and Buz Murdock were the original Route 66ers. Linc Case joined the Corvette crew later in the series.

An interesting little compilation of road show trivia you've made there. Hopefully, you'll also want to add info to the show guide.

P.S. The number eight with the right parentheses mark next to it is the bbCode for making a sunglasses smilie, you can substitute brackets or place a space between the two characters to keep that from happening.

tvking1

[3]Jul 29, 2007

Thanks for the correction, and for the advice about the smiley faces.

I'd like to be a contributor, but I'm afraid that, as of right now, I wouldn't have much to offer the show guide. I've never even seen the show, which was in its network run when I was a small child, and it's never been widely shown in syndication, at least from what I can remember. But maybe eventually I'll have something to offer. Thanks.

mmccluski

[4]Oct 30, 2007
    • level: 7
    I'd add "Movin' On" (1974) to your list. Frank Converse and Claude Akins as two independent long-haul truckers. Not so much discovering the human condition of the people they met, if I remember right: just their own general trials and tribulations. Watchable, though, and it sure had the flavor of the open road.

buckbongo

[5]Dec 29, 2007
    • level: 3
    This is one of those shows that I remeber very fondly, but for the life of me, I cant remember a single plot or episode... It just seemed to be a laid back kind of adventure, set in the USA at a time when the possibilities of life seemed limitless, and adventure could be found merely by travelling around the new frontiers of the highways. It all seemed pretty exotic to a kid from the Australian suburbs, millions of miles from the centre of the world.

tvking1

[6]Mar 29, 2008
    Another show that would be considered a road show is A Man Called Shenandoah, starring Robert Horton and ran on ABC 1965-66. It was a western about an amnesiac who roamed the country in search of his identity and along the way got involved in various situations. As far as I know, he never found it.

PSUDaugh

[7]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 5

For those of you interested in seeing this show for the first time or recalling what it was all about, the first season will be available on Amazon.com in early August.

Also, not that it matters, but both of the original characters' names are spelled with only one consonant--Tod and Buz. It's visually annoying, but that's what the writers chose for some unknown reason!