Route 66

The Strengthening Angels

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Nov 04, 1960 on CBS

• Deeply moving tale of redemption.

There is a small blooper when it is all too obvious that it is a stunt double fighting John Larch, instead of George Maharis. That aside, this is a deeply moving, well written episode that deals intelligently with the themes of sin, guilt, forgiveness and redemption. Suzanne Plesshette plays a woman with a past who hasbriefly found refuge with a traveling tent Revival minister . Interestingly, the minister is played by the very gifted , versatile character actor, Harry Townes, who was an Episcopalian minister in real life. She is picked up by our heroes, cleancut, erudite, Tod and two-fisted beat hipster Buzz, who unwittingly take her from the frying pan into the fire. The episode is thought provoking, and blessed with a genuinely poetic script by Sterling Silliphant. I can only second your other two reviwers. I an more convinced than ever that the real "golden age of TV drama began in 1959, when The Naked City ( also written by Siliphant) premiered, and ended when the fugitive finally found the one-armed man.