Royal Pains Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on USAIn Season

Episode Discussion: "Pilot"

RTTV989

[1]Jun 5, 2009
    • level: 21

I did not see a thread so decided to make one myself.

I thought the pilot was pretty good. Had the high production value that I have come to expect from USA Network shows, being a fan of Psych and Burn Notice. Im really diggin the premise of the show, it seems different than anything that is currently on television. Like Psych and Burn Notice the dialogue was full of witty and funny banter between the two brothers. Overall I thought it was a good start to the show, to early to go into plot speculation for me. It looks like USA has another hit.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

penelope1985

[2]Jun 5, 2009
    RTTV989 wrote:

I did not see a thread so decided to make one myself.

I thought the pilot was pretty good. Had the high production value that I have come to expect from USA Network shows, being a fan of Psych and Burn Notice. Im really diggin the premise of the show, it seems different than anything that is currently on television. Like Psych and Burn Notice the dialogue was full of witty and funny banter between the two brothers. Overall I thought it was a good start to the show, to early to go into plot speculation for me. It looks like USA has another hit.

I agree with everything. I loved the pilot and i'm eagerly waiting for more. As for plot speculation i think its gonna be about how everything seems shiny and pretty in the Hamptons when it definitely is not...

Junkyxl19

[3]Jun 5, 2009
    • level: 12
    I loved it, love the main character from the start. Hopefully this will be a keeper.

pgsuperfan

[4]Jun 5, 2009
    • level: 25
    I am sorry but I was highly disappointed I love all the USA shows, MONK, PSYCH and IN PLAIN SIGHT I turned it off after 15 minutes. Maybe I will take another look at a rerun but it left me flat

sunsethill

[5]Jun 5, 2009
    • level: 10
    I wasn't going to watch this show because the pre-show hype seemed somewhat juvenile. However, since it followed Burn Notice I decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at the storyline and that the show's premise has the possibility to deal with more than gutter humor. If the writers pursue the direction of the pilot, this show may grow some roots. However, USA network needs to keep its time-slot following Burn Notice to possibly attract that fan base.

RTTV989

[6]Jun 5, 2009
    pgsuperfan wrote:
    I am sorry but I was highly disappointed I love all the USA shows, MONK, PSYCH and IN PLAIN SIGHT I turned it off after 15 minutes. Maybe I will take another look at a rerun but it left me flat
    It picked up after the first half hour.

Jemadari

[7]Jun 5, 2009
    I was all geared up to hate this show b/c from the previews it seemed like it was going to be a show about the idle rich and those shows always suck and I have a special hatred for the character type of the screw up scheming freeloading sibling but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't altogether about the idle rich,but if they needed an obnoxious horny sibling they could have given him a lesbian sister just to be different.I really like when the fiance proposed to postpone the wedding and he "raised" her

pgsuperfan

[8]Jun 5, 2009

RTTV989 wrote:
    pgsuperfan wrote:
    It picked up after the first half hour.

Like I said I will DVR the rerun and see if I can get into the show

SweetMegara

[9]Jun 5, 2009
    • level: 7
    It was good, as far as all the new shows out right now this one i liked most and has the most potential.

mcatrage

[10]Jun 5, 2009
    • level: 7
    So far pretty good but it was just a setup episode the real test will be an interesting weekly episode without Hank looking like some miracle doctor helping dumb rich people.

Guessing the show will show the unhappy side of the rich but I'm curious what season long story arcs they'll have other than trying to get with the Hospital Admin.

NightwingNL

[11]Jun 5, 2009
    • level: 2

tbh first I thought it gonna be another hospital show but after I liked what they did.. I hope the rest of the show will be that good as the pilot.

birkoff1

[12]Jun 5, 2009
    I wrote a full review, but I thought it was alright. In a nutshell, I was surprised by how real and sympathetic they managed to make the nutty rich people, which is great, but I thought that because of that Dr. Hank came off as a bit of a dick with his constant indignation. He needs to be a bit more like his brother, who was hysterical, btw. The assistant was a bit funny and a lot annoying; we'll see how she turns out.

EJamison

[13]Jun 5, 2009
    • level: 17

From the previews, I wasn't expecting to like this show. I thought they would have too much time having the accountant brother acting like an idiot, but he didn't overwhelm. It's not perfect. No matter how powerful the founder's family is, I would think there'd be places that would admire Hank for what he did. And then he just stumbles onto one. And it's just so convenient that hospital admin was at the party and has his exact same car. And, of course, it was convenient that April wasn't just another typical drug overdose. It isn't stopping me from liking the show, but I wonder if they could have managed to do it without so many unlikely things happening all at once.

I didn't quite understand what happened after he arrived at Boris' at the end.

bangkok1817

[14]Jun 6, 2009
    • level: 1
    Let me guess, by season 3 Divya falls in love with the doctor because she is 'third world.' this is as typical as a jewish doctor, oh wait, that's the main character of the show. there, i just saved you 1.5 years of a dumb show. the end.

TesserT

[15]Jun 6, 2009
    • level: 75
    Pilot Re-runs:

Sat Jun 6 at 11:30am & 1:00 pm ET

Mon Jun 8 at 11:00pm ET

Thur Jun 11 at 2:30pm ET

justinwestnet

[16]Jun 6, 2009
    • level: 17
    I loved the pilot, but hopefully they can make good story lines. I am sure sub plots with the brother and the hospital administrator will take some time, but I hope every episode isn't just him helping out a bunch of rich people then moving onto the next guy...

TesserT

[17]Jun 6, 2009
    • level: 75
    I almost turned it off after 15 mins but left it on. The last half was better. And yes, hospital politics at private hospitals really do exist. You let a founder & $$$ contributor die & your name is mud. Founders & big contributors expect to be #1 in line when they are in medical need - that's why they give big $$$. I found the brother mildly irritating but he's a good side kick to his brother the doc. Watching the 'changing of the docs' at the end keeps things in perspective - the good doc will have to be on his toes & not step on anyone else's.

I liked Jill & saw a few sparks with Hank! Alas USANetwork.com says Ultimately, there's more to Jill than meets the eye. And when her personal secret is revealed, it just may derail the potential romance between Hank and Jill. Hope she's not related to the guy Hank got fired over.

There's also a lot more to his assistant than meets the eye - especially her cell phone conversation with her parents about being at the polo match. And the medical equipment she had is worth millions - on sale or not I think she's going to be a big asset to Hank. After investigating, sure enough - this gal is not average. Here's her USANetwork.com description:

Divya Katdare is a practical, efficient, and ambitious woman in her 20s who would rather be Hank's physician assistant than do what her family thinks is appropriate for a young woman of her socio-economic status: attend polo matches and plan charity events.

She shows up at Hank's Westhampton motel room with a resume in hand -- and mobile medical equipment in her trunk -- demanding that Hank hire her as his assistant. She's definitely got something to prove to her traditional parents, who aren't quite down with her program ... yet.

In the meantime, however, she plans to keep her new job a secret from her family. For her, working with Hank would be a dream, not a game she's playing to kill time until she marries a rich man. And though Hank might not yet realize it, he needs Divya's help as much as she needs him.

I will ck out the 2nd ep.

pgsuperfan

[18]Jun 6, 2009
    OK I had a chance to re watch the pilot. The verdict is in, not bad might have a chance.

StarJock2

[19]Jun 6, 2009
    • level: 6
    Looks like a very good new show, fitting in well in the spot after Burn Notice. Let's hope USA keep it in that time slot. I am very happy to see Campbell Scott back on a TV series - he's an excellent actor and will do a great job of playing the part of Boris. He did superb on the Six Degrees TV series a few years ago. He played the part of a NYC artist, Steve Caseman, opposite Bridget Moynahan and Hope Davis. Since this show is located in the Hamptons, with roots in the City, there should be good potential for some great story lines and spectacular scenery.Speaking of scenery, the doctor's original fiancee in NYC is a drop-dead gorgeous woman - I hope she re-appears in future episodes to add some tension to his relationships with whatever new ladies he encounters.

SpaderFan1

[20]Jun 6, 2009
    • level: 4

I enjoyed the pilot alot and I'm looking forward to the next epsiode. I think it's off to a great start!