Rubicon Forums

AMC (ended 2010)

AMC cancels Rubicon

-Whoracle-

[1]Nov 11, 2010
    • level: 10

Just read on Twitter

Michael Ausiello AMC statement: "This was not an easy decision, but we are grateful to have had the opportunity to work with such a talented, dedicated team"

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kopeckee

[2]Nov 11, 2010
    • level: 20
    nooooooooooooooooo

aldaros23

[3]Nov 11, 2010
    • level: 53
    ahhh that's a shame. maybe another network will be smart and pick it up.

Pi

[4]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 10

I just sent the following letter to AMC. If anyone wants to send something and doesn't have the time, feel free to copy/paste it and send your own copy. It probably won't do any good, but you never know.

I'm writing with disgust and anger at the news of the recent cancellation of Rubicon. Your slogan is "Story Matters Here", but apparently that is a lie and it doesn't matter at all to you. If it did, the wonderful program that was Rubicon would be returning for a second season, or at least for an additional TV movie to tie up the loose ends. I have enjoyed watching AMC for several years now, thinking that you were different from the norm of TV networks. I thought you cared about quality programming, and about your viewers. I see now that I was wrong. I have watched your network for years, even before you aired original programming. I started years ago when we first got cable in our home. Your station was a favorite of my grandparents, who turned me on to your network. We watched all the quality old shows and films from a time when story DID matter. A time when people enjoyed the ride - racking their brains and chatting up friends and family trying to solve the mysteries - rather than insisting on being spoon-fed a resolution at the end of every episode. A time when there was such a thing as SUSPENSE - before suspense was widely known as "the boring parts between sex and explosions".

Recently, I looked forward to your original series and watched each and every one of them. Breaking Bad was great, as was Mad Men. But your next original series was on a whole other level. I was in complete awe of your network when Rubicon began to air - the quality was impeccable - it was a throwback to old Hitchcock films - I had found my new favorite network. I would be loyal forever to the network that had the guts to air a show for the thinking viewer - for the viewer that enjoys things like reading......and puzzles.....discourse......and debate. For the viewer with an attention span longer than a goldfish. That was, until I heard today of the saddening cancellation.

I could go into things that were done wrong - such as teasing viewers with a premiere after Breaking Bad, getting us excited about the show, and then not airing another episode for weeks after. I could tell you that I didn't even know when it was returning after that ridiculous stunt. I could even tell you that the Nielsen ratings are an antiquated joke. I could go into the fact that the demo that watches Rubicon - highly educated viewers that more than likely have bundles of money to spend on the products advertised during the show and would be happy to do it to keep one of the few intelligent programs that they can actually enjoy and be stimulated by on the air. But no, I won't bother - because you obviously care more about the mindless masses of reality show buffoons just like all the other networks. I thought I had found something different in AMC. I was wrong.

I guess I'm left with only HBO - who faithfully aired quality programs like Rome and The Wire for season after season despite ratings that weren't outstanding - because they know what you don't - that the type of people that support quality, intelligent programming like this are the type of people they want watching and supporting their station and advertisers. They are the type that are fiercely loyal. The type that have money to spend on the items advertised. The type whose accolades garner awards, recognition, and critical acclaim. Things I though your network considered more important than legions of mindless fools cheering for more sex, explosions, and dead bodies - and less "other confusing stuff". Again, I was obviously wrong.

So go on and enjoy your legions of brainless fans cheering for The Walking Dead. Perhaps you can even throw in a reality show or two. Maybe a vampire show? Or a procedural perhaps - why not get REALLY creative? Go ahead and alienate Rubicon viewers by canceling the smartest show on television without resolution. Go ahead and leave us hanging and wondering. Go ahead and treat your viewers poorly - behave as so many other networks do these days. But please change your slogan. "Story Matters Here"? Hardly. Seeing it there, prominently displayed atop your website is an insult. Meanwhile, I'll be taking my viewership and dollars elsewhere. Thank you.

Edited on 11/12/2010 6:38am

CUDiLLA

[5]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 7
    More or less this is exactly what I would write to AMC too. So, I'll take your offer and copy 'n paste this and send it also to them.

But, seriously, I STILL can't believe that Rubicon got canceled... I'm so sad and disappointed. :-(

chaznet

[6]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 11

Wow... AMC cancelled Rubicon but renewed The Walking Dead... crazy

Rubcon was amazing, I wish they'd brought more closure to the storyline, especially now that we won't see what chain of events that last 4-leaf clover puts into play

Buljanoff

[7]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 1
    This sucks. Perhaps the show was a little too realistic, I mean politically? I can see a lobbyist or two from one of the many "policy institutes" around calling to have this show off the air.

Placebo_obecalP

[8]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 13
    Damn hadn't heard the news about Rubicon, not surprised though it's far too intelligent for 99% of the American TV watching audience

ScottPreston0

[9]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 3

Every time we get a show that is a little bit different, Something that really gets the mind working in draws you in gets you really involved it gets cancelled.

aldaros23

[10]Nov 19, 2010
    • level: 53
    kinda still surprised... i mean the show still pulled in 1M viewers a week save for 1-2 episodes. they should have re-aired the first season first. I mean they re-air everything else.

logossun

[11]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 18
    I echo your feelings people... But let me be the devil's advocate for a moment. I think the reason the show ultimately didn't work was because it had far too many introspective moments and repeats of conundrums. Yes, this is indeed realistic, but for an average viewer (and myself at times) it just enters the boring territory if you are not "all senses in" - and how many average viewers do you know who are? So, I dig that Will was often lost in his own horrors at what he's uncovering, but I was waiting for the "I get it, move on" moment which never happened.

The research was, let's face it - dry. It's dry for them, and doubly so for viewers.

Finally, the conspiracy was never really entered into with force - with realism, yes, but with force - no (I'm not referring to the attack on Will's life, but yes, even that: one really hard-hitting moment in an entire season of a series??). So, what made it special also made it inaccessible to most of the public. Unfortunate, but I'm glad we at least had it for one season.

Cheers!

Cantankerous

[12]Dec 23, 2010
    • level: 6

They cancel this fine show and keep the DUMB zombie show? I'm SICK too death of zombies and vampires!! Can we get a GOOD UFO show that would be nice for a change.

AlexUK27

[13]Jan 31, 2011
    • level: 2

Though I agree with pretty much every comment about the cancellation of Rubicon - the first truly intelligent show for a long, long time - I thoroughly disagree with all the comments levelled at The Walking Dead. These are two very different shows and there is no place for comparison. I feel that comments that this 'dumb' zombie show got a second season and not Rubicon, suggest an ignorance that I would have thought that Rubicon viewers were far superior and would not have missed the fact that The Walking Dead was much more than just a zombie show - it is from a huge series of acclaimed graphic novels which are intelligent and offer moral dilemmas that make it an edge-of-your-seat thrill ride, perfect for the small screen. Rubicon was an intelligent, thoughtful and challenging drama - completely different and not worth comparing.

pdiazca

[14]Feb 21, 2011
    • level: 1
    Can we do anything to bring it back?

mattgus

[15]Apr 2, 2011
    • level: 14
    it makes you afraid to watch and enjoy a new program for fear you will invest time into something look forward to it and then get slapped in the face...people that watched rubicon were an intellegent lot and lets face it television is not often about putting on intellegent works. mindless crappy reality shows some so awful it is hard to believe anyone would watch is the easy way for tv to make $$$. but that is how the world is. average. and the numbes are what the stations need. so to make $ they have to produce crap to attract the many...it is sad. i really thought that amc was going to try to be above that. i know $ is the bottom line but i can't believe this would have bankrupted them...a show this compelling is almost impossoble to find. i really feel bad about this one and i usually don't put much energy into what is on or not...amc does'nt have to care because so few of us were watching. i think i read less then 2 mill a show...