Rubicon Forums

AMC (ended 2010)

not sure what to make of this show

sramv9

[1]Aug 26, 2010
    • level: 22

I can't tell if this is a show where something's about to happen or if nothing ever happens; and whether I'm on the verge of 'getting it' or tuning out. Anyone else having a similar experience?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dif_frent

[2]Aug 29, 2010
    • level: 11
    Same feelings here.

thefirstsnake1

[3]Aug 31, 2010
    • level: 2
    i agree, especially after watching persons unknown for all those weeks and then that terrible finale.
    not sure if rubicon will survive the ratings game.

FCBarca

[4]Aug 31, 2010
    • level: 15

Definitely has a feel of trying to be too smart for it's own good...The implications are clear but the manner in which things are carried out so far give the feel of a series trying to be something like a CIA series and Fringe.

I have tuned in still merely for a few of the actors and their performances...The nuances of the show have so far, unfortunately, appeared to be for little more than dramatic effect

It's AMC so it may have some legs but plot wise it should probably get on track

WavSlave

[5]Sep 1, 2010
    • level: 6

I'm in agreement with most of the other opinions here.

I've watched every episode of this series up to now and although I seem to be enjoying it, I can't really say why. In fact, I'm still not entirely sure what it is that I'm watching. Maybe this is the hallmark of a highly nuanced, intricately plotted show that will pay handsome dividends far down the road (if it lives long enough to unfold fully). Then again, maybe it's just a glacially-paced dud that will only serve as a reminder that swinging too far in the opposite direction from a Michael Bay-esque shoot-em-up can be just as off-putting as his incomprehensible messes.

If this were on a different network I might have given up on it by now. Given A&E's track record up to now, I'm certainly willing to stick around a while longer but I think the show needs just a bit more momentum than the 30-60 seconds of plot furtherance that we appear to be getting out of every ~44-minute installment.

My best guess is that this particular series won't live long enough to tell its story, whatever that story might be. But I've been wrong before and I really do hope this turns out to be something that was worth the investment of time.

I will say that I'm glad to see James Badge Dale have regular work again.

ummhaniyyah

[6]Sep 6, 2010
    • level: 8

I doubt that this series will be quickly canceled. This is AMC after all, not NBC, ABC or CBS or yes, I've said it Fox.

So far, the show is at slow burn, which is okay with me as 1) it's a refreshing change from all the shoot-em up out there and 2) is most likely more like what the reality is in the "intelligence community."We are all used to shows where threats are quickly removed, but I would guess that in real life things move more slowly.

I think I also like the suspense the pace is creating. I do know that I think about the show long after the episodes are over and that I'm often left feeling disturbed.

Something I noticed recently and like is that although the Will storyline is the main one, that we are also being asked to focus on other characters and not just as a distraction - so there is Mile's encounter with the other analyst, Kale and his partner, Maggie's life, etc.

What I don't so much like - sometimes Will is just so dangerously naive. It's one thing to be paranoid, but then keep your mouth shut (he could have passed notes or whatever to Kale), keep your bag with you at all times (he'd already gotten a sermon on what constituted a good bag from Spangler), stop involving others in your mess (Maggie, EB, even Miles).

I'm looking forward to the next episodes.

FCBarca

[7]Sep 7, 2010

ummhaniyyah wrote:

What I don't so much like - sometimes Will is just so dangerously naive. It's one thing to be paranoid, but then keep your mouth shut (he could have passed notes or whatever to Kale), keep your bag with you at all times (he'd already gotten a sermon on what constituted a good bag from Spangler), stop involving others in your mess (Maggie, EB, even Miles).

That's sort of an issue for me, it's more than Will being naive...For me, it's really poor writing...How can someone that intelligent and able to deduce things out of thin air be so ridiculously naive about what is painfully obvious?

Feels like manufactured suspense rather than authentic which is made all the more difficult to accept considering the rest of the show.

carlejeune

[8]Sep 8, 2010
    • level: 6

I did not watch until the marathon and i taped all those so now i am caught up...makes you wonder if people like this really exist? Is there a group of people who do what they do? I sure hope if it ends , they tie it up. It is hard to figure out exactly who the bad guys are...and I get confused sometimes because the characters following Will look all the same! I think once he connects with the widow of the suicide victim, the two might work together.

ummhaniyyah

[9]Sep 10, 2010
    carlejeune wrote:

I did not watch until the marathon and i taped all those so now i am caught up...makes you wonder if people like this really exist? Is there a group of people who do what they do? I sure hope if it ends , they tie it up. It is hard to figure out exactly who the bad guys are...and I get confused sometimes because the characters following Will look all the same! I think once he connects with the widow of the suicide victim, the two might work together.

It is confusing. So far, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, that the writers are going somewhere with what they are throwing out and that, for example, we don't know who the bad guys vs. good guys are because in the show's universe it just isn't that clear-cut.

But as FC mentioned re: Will's behavior, it could all be bad writing. So far, I'm finding the world they are creating an interesting one, despite the areas where things don't seem to add up and so I'm willing to continue watching to see where things will go.

ummhaniyyah

[10]Sep 10, 2010

Completely unforgivable from someone of genius level, laying out and leaving all the clues to the possible conspiracy on Post-Its on your living room floor. What??

tjaman

[11]Sep 14, 2010
    • level: 32
    This show has quickly become one of my favorites. The art direction and pacing houses some deeply brilliant conspiratorial speculation. If you can experience the fear, the paranoia of the characters ... Will left the bugs in place until he realized his boss was undermining him with his staff and might have put them there himself.

As for his leaving his theories out on the floor, he lives alone, it's not on any computer that's hackable, and when you live alone, even the job he has, you don't anticipate that people are in your home when you're not.

In a world where intelligence analysts can be eliminated for noticing a crossword cypher, it's one more place he has no security. In the part, in his home, meeting with friends, certainly at work, Will Travers isn't safe anywhere, and that's going to become important.

Sunday's installment also contained a brilliant comment on torture. "I don't care about the /guy/, I'm worried what it does to /my/ soul -- /and/ it's not reliable." Interesting.

FCBarca

[12]Sep 14, 2010

tjaman wrote:
    . As for his leaving his theories out on the floor, he lives alone, it's not on any computer that's hackable, and when you live alone, even the job he has, you don't anticipate that people are in your home when you're not.

While I largely agree with some of your assessments of the show and it's direction, this part doesn't ring true to me...If anything has been learned (From finding secrets within a motorcycle), it's that you cannot leave anything in plain sight/view for 'big brother' to peer in...And leaving your reconnaissance info just sprayed along his floor/wall just doesn't wash for me...It's inconsistent, IMHO...Can't have Will accepting this bizarrely layered intelligence/spy world he lives & works in and then sweep under the rug the most obvious failing on his part with the intel in his apartment.

I remember seeing the first season of Damages and wondering if the writers actually had a plan...Was all the subterfuge really just meant to perpetuate the series or was there a framework they were working within...Lost didn't whereas Damages did...Will Rubicon?...Or will it putter out before we get to see that?

I did find Eppy 8 interesting in that we saw the insane manner in which rendition and torture was used to procure intel while trying to give us some insight into the emotions of the characters witnessing it (Albeit, it was a bit watered down and simultaneously wrapped up in the flag, for me)

We'll see but there is little in the way of inertia, for me, so far...I don't need to see a myriad of things falling into place immediately but I do like to get a feel for a direction...And, so far, the best I can make of it is that it's an intelligence community within a more sinister intelligence community?...That's neither original nor compelling, IMHO...If anything, it does give the impression of manufacturing consent for an intelligence community that in our country is nowhere near this 'intelligent' let alone just

Edited on 09/14/2010 9:55am

dif_frent

[13]Sep 18, 2010
    • level: 11

My prevoius note on this forum was on August 29. I was undecided about the show. Three weeks later I am definitely going to continue watching it. Not just simply continue... The show has really attracted me. Its slow, yet inriguing atmosphere just draws me in. The plot unfolds nicely, great acting. Hope you feel the same, and hope the show will stay for the next seasons.

tjaman

[14]Sep 18, 2010
    We're watching tiny groups analyzing intel without any sense of the bigger picture. They're no better off than we are. Already, the structure is in place for huge, watershed shifts in focus we can't even anticipate. Like .. a plot twist. We're watching Will surrounded by people he can't trust. He's given some information about how his life is surveilled but not all, and when he finds out about Maggie he feels betrayed.

Meanwhile, are you more interested in a guy sitting brooding in a corner or a guy Brilliant Minding an alluvial fan of data?

tvritual

[15]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 2

Love it, even if it may be slow.

Just as Mad Men the slowness allows a concentrated viewer to catch a glimpse of what is about to happen, subtlety put to work very well.

AMC sure is good with semiotics as a portal to near future events.

Maybe it would be a good idea to wait until the season ends and watch all episodes in one go, tend to forget all the details otherwise.

mattgus

[16]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 14
    i agee with wavslave. i am hopeful. i love every minute of the show but i do not have a clue as to the why of it. i am waiting for a payoff here soon,but for some reason i enjoy the subtleties of the show so far...i don't want to have to think about it being gone b/4 it can tell us it's story. i hope that will not happen. it is so extremly well done and acted. i like the execution but at the same time i am confused by what i see. some of the scenes are or seem to be full of nothing;i know that is not true--so i am intrigued...i think part of it is that it feels more like real life. not so full of action. and i agree,you can feel the fear and paranoia in the players that need to be concerned...ie...will and kale. the subtle evil is also well played by the boss...the rich and powerful and the way he and his cronies go about things with impunity...i am in it for the long haul...i hope there is one!

Chaos_Zombie

[17]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 10

I have come to really enjoy this show too. I don't know that any episode has been better than the Pilot (Episode 8 came close)but none have been absolutely horrible either. The characters have really grown on me and I absolutely love how sly Kale is even if he is creepy. I really hope this all comes to a brilliant close and that there is another season.

Also, the theme song and soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in a long time for a TV show. I think only House surpasses it.

tjaman

[18]Sep 27, 2010
    I'm wondering if the GO code was a signal to Qa'teb, and if so, if he's an Atlas operative. Surely they know /someone/ at API is analyzing his movements and actions. I wonder if it's just unlucky for them that David's mentee was head of the task force pulled for the duty, or if /whatever Will was analyzing/ would somehow lead back to Atlas. The 20-after bombings are significant in light of analysis David Hadas was pursuing, but where will Qa'teb strike next?

Side note, I loved Grant's expression when Will asked what the significance of the 4:20 bombing was.

aldaros23

[19]Oct 1, 2010
    • level: 53
    I just caught up on Episode 8 and 10 and I have to agree, it has become one of my favorites as well. If you check out AMC's forums, there's a lot of things from past episodes as well. It's really intriguing discussion from members. Awesome stuff!! Can't wait for the last 3 episodes of the season.

cross_mr

[20]Oct 4, 2010
    • level: 9
    I quite like it. It is slower paced than other shows, but that is okay. They don't all have to be high adrenaline shows. the problem is the mystery itself. I'm not sure where it'll go after it's solved. The inevitable conclusion is that Will will likely bring down several big people at some point. If the series ends then, okay, but if they want to keep it going..it's tough to figure out where to go. It's a very singular mystery.