Ruby Gloom

YTV (ended 2008)

taker65

Ruby Gloom Fan Reviews (14)

• In Peter Griffin terms, Ruby Gloom is freakin' sweet.

OK, quick recap of my discovery of the show. One of my Internet friends - I will not reveal her identity as courtesy of her privacy - made a plush doll of Misery and posted it on her YouTube channel. After watching her latest video - her 1,000th, featuring all the series she makes videos for - where clips from the show had been featured, I looked it up and found not only the adorable title sequence, which I fell in love with, but several episodes which someone else posted on their channel. I watched them and loved it! I'm sad that it's not on here in the USA though. I live in Pennsylvania, so I obviously don't get YTV, and the only way I can watch it is through YouTube. I believe it should be on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network here, considering Ruby Gloom originated from America. The characters are completely adorable! I love them all, but I must admit, Scaredy Bat is my fave, and the cutest. Plus, this show isn't just for pre-teen girls - boys will watch it and like it just as much! My little brother, who is nearly six, is a perfect example of this. He goes around the house all the time saying to anyone who is feeling low, "Look on the bright side!" Overall, this show is great for both genders and all ages, and should be shown all around the world.
  • Seriously who did come up with this. Was it from a nightmare.

1.1
    I hate this show. It's pure stupid. Every episode just gets terrible every second. And it's time slot is awful. Put a better show in it's place. The charaters are ridiculous. Ok we got this girl named Iris who has 1 eye. Oooh, cool. And we have this emo girl that is crying. Thats a transender for todays kids. And not to mention a talking skull. And I think in one episode those 2 boys with there bodys attached said "that's crap". Woa man. Cancel this show for crying out loud.
  • Ruby Gloom: "Always look on the bright side - unless of course the dark side is your bright side and that's okay too!"

Even though I never see this show on American television, some video sites such as YouTube and Veoh were kind enough to upload Ruby Gloom videos. What I really like about this show is that it's the only one mainly with a gothic theme. Just because I am goth doesn't mean that I can't "look on the bright side." I can't believe that Canada was inspired to create this rare animated series.

Ruby Gloom is one of most favorite characters in the show. Even though she is six years old, she has the voice of a beautiful adolescent. Her catchphrase is "Look on the bright side." No matter what negative things happen, Ruby is able to keep her cool and retain her versatile positivity. She cares about everyone and is willing to help them. Doom Kitty is totally cute. The only is that Doom communicates through charades to which nobody could understand her except maybe Ruby. Iris has such a craving for adventures and excitement. She is considered the most restless and energetic of all the show's characters. Not only that, the cyclops girl has a pet venus flytrap named Venus and Squig the giant flying worm that goes with Iris on her wild adventures. Misery is the most depressing yet apathetic banshee-like girl with endless trails of tears running down from her black eyes with white pupils. Every time she does something that makes her happy or do anything that involves having fun, her bad luck strikes her down with a vengeance, usually in the form of lightning bolts. Like Misery, her ancestors suffered many disasters and diseases. Just because Misery is constantly seen shedding tears and expressing apathy doesn't mean she has no soul. Despite all this, Ruby still cares for Misery. Skull Boy is the "Jack of All Trades" because he tries out a lot of different personas such as painter, actor, documentary filmmaker, musician, etc. But still, SB doesn't exactly know what his primary persona is. Frank & Len are very odd dicephalic conjoined twins. Frank is the smart one while Len is the absent-minded dope with a short attention span. When it comes to music, the both of them are rock stars by nature. It takes them a long time to write a great song. Poe is a rather classy raven who shares the same name with the last name of a famous horror poet. He is one of characters I don't like much because of his aristocratic attitude assuming that he is more high class than anyone. Scaredy Bat can't seem to control himself whenever he gets terrified of almost everything, except for crumpets. Boo Boo sort of reminds me of Casper the Friendly Ghost, only quite mischievous and enjoys pulling pranks on others much to his two mobster-like mentors' aggravation. So far, my favorite characters are Ruby Gloom, Doom Kitty and Misery.

If Gloomsville is a real place, I would move out of my hometown, and live in the Victorian mansion with the gang of strange and unusual. Not only this show is entertaining all ages and goths, but it also teaches good moral values and showing us how to accept others for who they are on the inside, and not what they are on the outside. At first, I thought Ruby Gloom was just an advertisement for books, school stationery and clothing. But it turns out that there is a TV series, only in Canada. I really wish that Ruby Gloom comes to American TV on HD. Perhaps if another season arrives, it'll be even better than the first and second ones.
  • American childrens television and/or cartoon writers, take notes from this show. (That means you, Nickelodeon).

Last year, I just barely heard of this show due to a mention on a listing on Wikipedia's list of Goth culture related articles.

After an email to a friend of mine in Canada, I was finally able to watch the actual show. And needless to say, I was hooked from the first five minutes onwards.

One of the best sides of this show is that it is not overreliant on gross-out humor and characters who are absolute jerks to everybody. Some people would ask why then I don't knock them for the physical humor.

The answer: because it serves as a puchline. Well placed, at that.

Plus, even when Misery, Iris, or anyone else crash like a certain coyote, they get back up again and continue on with their business.

And I admit, the title character, miss Ruby herself, adds to the shows sense of tenderness with her nack for finding things that creep most people out to be.... (what's the word?)....oh yeah; cozy.

Comedic timing, wit, likeable characters, and the ability to avoid being obnoxiously preachy make this series so good that as soon as the entire seasons are put out on DVD, I'm saving copies so I can show to my nephews kids (if I don't have any of my own).
  • This show isn't meant for people my age but people younger than I. Even so, I enjoy the common humour of the show.

Ruby Gloom is about a bunch of friends who look like halloween characters. They live in a town called Gloomsville but are rather happy people. The show influences kind frindships and kind judgement. I have to say my favourite character is Misery, a girl who seems to have bad luck follow her everywhere but she doesn't mind. She just lets it go. Skull Boy influences the fact that you can be or do what ever you want with your life. I know people who don't like this show because it's not in their age group and in the boys case, includes no violent content.
    I like this show because it's influential and has good virtues and happy endings.
  • I love this show!

It needs to hurry up and come to the USA already! Anyways, Ruby Gloom is a cute and awesome show, especially great for the little ones. It's about a girl named Ruby Gloom who lives in a Victorian mansion in Gloomsville, a Goth themed town, with her cat Doom Kitty. Even though she appears to be a goth girl, she sure doesn't act like one! She is always happy and always looking on the bright side of life. Which is why I like this show, because it teaches kids to try and look on the bright side of things when it gets bad. My favorite characters have to be Ruby Gloom because she's always happy no matter what happens, and Misery because she's always sad, plus she can be a walking disaster. This show is just simply awesome, like I said, and I hope it comes to the USA, especially since it has its own franchise in America! So I give this overall 10/10. If I could rate it higher I would. That's all I gotta say. That, and the fact that I think Ruby Gloom and Skull Boy make the cutest couple ever.
  • A show from the Canadian channel YTV about a girl who likes to see the bright side of the dark side and her friends.

A gothic, Tim-Burton-for-kids show, to be certain. It's very clever and cute, with plenty of one-liners and character-driven plots.

-Ruby, the title character, is always cheerful and her catch phrase is "look on the bright side". She sews and cleans a lot.
    -Iris, the Cyclops, is a thrill seeker always trying to find a bigger rush. -Misery is a disaster magnet who always tries to live life to the fullest (and her dry sense of humour makes for great one-liners). -Skull Boy is a skeleton always trying to find his roots and discover what he could do with his life (almost every episode shows him with a different persona). -Frank and Len are (is?) a two-headed pair of rockers sharing the same body. They live in the garage, are musicians, and aren't very intelligent.
    -Scaredy Bat, as the name suggests, is a bat who is frightened by nearly everything is existence, except crumpets.
    -Boo-Boo is a ghost who hates scaring, and would rather prank everyone. Not surprisingly, he really likes hanging around near Scaredy.
    -Poe is a raven living in a house on a tree branch near the others. He is a blabber mouth and tends to complain, but often has good ideas, although he doesn't realise it. He has brothers Edgar and Allan, and they're related to Paco, Edgar Allan Poe's pet budgie.
    -Doom Kitty is a black cat who does not cause bad luck. She's excellent at mime and charades, and usually understands everything that's going on. Of course, no one else does (with the occasional exception of Ruby), letting the plot advance with lots of humour. She's "voiced" by a violin, and doesn't make any kitty sounds.

There are lots of oneshot characters and misc. people who really don't qualify for description.

The music is awesome, probably one of the main reasons I'm hooked now. Frank and Len sing and play numerous tunes, and there's even an hour-long musical made almost entirely of songs (the fact most characters have no musical talents is tactfully ignored).

The animation is clever and suits the show, definitely not right for anything but this sort of show. And the house is laid out in a constant way, meaning you might even be able to map out parts of the house based on what is seen.

The plots are usually original (considering the fact the basic premise is so dang original to begin with) and are driven mostly by character, and not by secrets they're keeping.

The show is intended for kids, so those looking for shootings, car crashes, and naughty things look elsewhere.

In all, Ruby Gloom is a clever, sometimes quirky show driven by the characters and their interactions (although occasionally secrets the characters are keeping manage to push a scene along. Ruby, for example…). A good show, I give it a 9/10.
  • a girl lives in a house with some friends

Ruby Gloom is about a girl who lives in a Victorian themed house with her friends Skull Boy, Misery, Iris, Poe the raven and his two friends, Doomkitty and Scaredy Bat. The house is on the outskirts of Gloomsville, a town which must be fairly prosperous for it has a tram. The adventures are generally small social ones like Skull Boy trying to constantly find who his ancestors were or the many problems facing Misery who seems subject to almost constant torment, struck by lightning bolts or hurt by various objects in a large range of manners. Aside from the constant humour derived from Miserys misfortunes, the Doomkitty is often amusing and the show is entertaining and amusing. Quite a nice animation style, considering it is cgi and unoutlined.
  • I Love This Show. It's Like The Best Comedy/Cartoon show i ever seen for awhile

This is one my favourte shows to date i like ruby, misery, iris and doom. and i mostly have all the episodes. Seens I've been watching this show i've been learning how to draw the format of the show. And I draw alot ruby gloom art.
    this show has been good so far jus hope it doesnt end up like "where are they now" shows. LOL i hope it doesnt will if it does i recorded mostly all of them. and i met alot of interesting people who like the show to. some of them are awesome friends like you. hahaha
  • Yes! My New obsession!!!

I LOVE Ruby Gloom!!! All the people on the show are so awesome! My faves are Ruby Misery Poe and Doom Kitty Nevermond! I love them all!! YAY! The show is seriously funny and so awesome! It has the right sense of humor for everyone!!! Ruby Gloom really does show you the bright side of the dark side!!! If you are not watching Ruby Gloom START NOW! Its so worth it!!! I promise you will love it. If you dont love Ruby Gloom go get a CAT scan!!! Im serious get your head checked NOW!!!!! All hail Ruby Gloom and her Awesomness! ^_^
  • A great Tim Burton-ish show

I am starting to love animation from Nelvana Ltd., along with Fleischer Studios,Disney Studios,Rankin/Bass,Studio Ghibli from Japan, and Hanna/Barbera; I mean Nelvana has great series like this show,and Redwall,Class of the Titans, Little Bear, etc.; and the film "Rock & Rule" Nelvana is an awesome studio. I love the Gothic decore that has been put into this show,and also it seems almost Tim Burton-ish to me. My favorite characters from the show are Ruby Gloom herself,Misery,Doom Kitty ( she's cute and I love how they used the violin for her movements and expessions),and Scaredy Bat (well I like bats).
  • IT AN AWESOME SHOW!!! I hate ALL of you who say it's for goths, emos, loners etc. Just SHAT UP!

Ruby Gloom is a pretty cool show that's a combination with a cute colorful side stuck with a dark side to it. Well okay i'm serios stop saying all that stuff like, "This show sucks so much!" Why don't you just get a life, and come up with something even more better that will get aired on tv like 3X a day. Oh! And for all of those who label...I hate you too. All of you are immature, rude, and ignorant. I won't name any names but I think you know who you are, and I HATE you so much you mother Fff...I'm not even gonna go on, you don't deserve to have a life.
  • I didn't knew Ruby Gloom until I heard her opening theme, and when I saw it, I felt in love.

Normally what makes me want to know morea about a serie is music, and when I heard that happy gothic song I had to see it. Luckly for me Boomerang LA showed the first episode that same day, and I could enjoy something I have never seen.

Actually all gothic themed shows are made to cause fear, or have a comedy that is too close of be called "black comedy", showing disgusting and repulsive, but Ruby Gloom breaks that showing what Lemony Snicket said: Gothic for kids. Ruby have a bunny made with sockets, but we know the bunny will no jump and try to kill you of fear; she have like friend a skull kid, bt once you look at he, he's not different of the kids you see in school all time; That girl have just an eye, but that doesn't mean she's different of you and me.

Really this is a show I'm enjoying and I want to see complete.
  • A New Great YTV Show about Ruby Gloom and Her Friends In Gloomsville

Ruby Gloom Started On a Friday The 13th to Kick off Hallowheen On YTV and The Charecters are Fantastic Ruby Gloom My Favourite Charecter Is a Girl Who Belives Their's a Bright Side To The Take Side with Her Friends Misery The unhappy Sorcerass,Franks and Len The Two Head Idiot,Iris The Cyclops Skullboy The Random Insanity Skeleton,Scaredy Bat The Bed Wetter Bat and Booboo The Ghost Who Likes to Freak the Heck Out of Scradey Bat.I Can't Remember The Crow's Name and is The Plushie mr.Benz of Course I Forget Doom Kitty The Cat who Takes Like a Vilion It's a Great show Ruby Gloom You're in My Number 1 Shows book with Transformers, Spongebob, The Simpsons, Catscratch and Futurama also This is a One Of A Kind Show That A Female Charecter is The Best Charecter In The Show.