Rugrats Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2003)

Thoughts on the roles of the parents

nyfan

[1]Dec 22, 2007
    • level: 20

Tell me what do you think of the way the parents are protrayed on Rugrats?

I love the way are protrayed, they are kind of a breath of fresh air compared to the other cartoon parents going around today. They are actully smart and intellegent, they do make their share of mistakes, but you know they love their children and vice versa.

They are not one dimentional mindless retards like parents on other shows such as the Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy,or the Fairly Odd Parents.Nor are they the perfect Mary Sue parents, who do everything right. They are human, and they protrayed as such.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mtvcutie21

[2]Dec 25, 2007
    • level: 11
    The Rugrats parents all would have been arrested for negligence and the babies would have been put into Foster Care. Especially after the Rugrats Movie! How are you gonna let a group of two years get all way into a forest in the middle of nowhere with wild animals? The worst part that was after the grandpa had proven to fall asleep on the job of watching them, they kept letting him look after them. Don't get me wrong, I grew up loving this show, but if this were reality, the parents would be in so much trouble and the grandpa would be on medication. Its not normal to just fall asleep talking or eating.I love the Rugrats, but this is a true example of how unrealistic shows are. Those kidswouldhaveeither beenhurt, killed, or kidnapped!
    Edited on 12/25/2007 1:46pm

nyfan

[3]Dec 25, 2007

mtvcutie21 wrote:
    The Rugrats parents all would have been arrested for negligence and the babies would have been put into Foster Care. Especially after the Rugrats Movie! How are you gonna let a group of two years get all way into a forest in the middle of nowhere with wild animals? The worst part that was after the grandpa had proven to fall asleep on the job of watching them, they kept letting him look after them. Don't get me wrong, I grew up loving this show, but if this were reality, the parents would be in so much trouble and the grandpa would be on medication. Its not normal to just fall asleep talking or eating.I love the Rugrats, but this is a true example of how unrealistic shows are. Those kidswouldhaveeither beenhurt, killed, or kidnapped!

Wellif I was the kids, I rather be left alone, than left with"Icky" Vicky. They don't intentional go to "No Kids Allowed" fun events, and taunt their kids about how they can't go, and thanleave them with an evil babysit like on Fairly Odd Parents.

WWinnieF

[4]Jan 12, 2010
    nyfan wrote:

mtvcutie21 wrote:

Wellif I was the kids, I rather be left alone, than left with"Icky" Vicky. They don't intentional go to "No Kids Allowed" fun events, and taunt their kids about how they can't go, and thanleave them with an evil babysit like on Fairly Odd Parents.

Still, which is worse? Neglect or abuse? NEITHER is a fun choice.

Darthbane2007

[5]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 1

mtvcutie21 wrote:

I don't get that either!

WWinnieF

[6]Feb 7, 2010
    Let's just chalk this up to the fact that this is a cartoon and not reality.

Raccoon1459

[7]Apr 7, 2010
    • level: 22
    They act just like real parents towards their children and they act just real people when they're socializing.

WWinnieF

[8]Apr 16, 2010
    Raccoon1459 wrote:
    They act just like real parents towards their children.
    No they don't. Parents are not neglectful...or at least, they weren't until recently.

dancingbeatle

[9]Jan 29, 2011
    • level: 45
    Did Susie get into as much trouble as the other kids? I can't remember. If not maybe the Carmichaels are good parents. Stu and Didi try to do the right thing, always reading those child care books, but when so much goes wrong in different episodes, places getting messy, etc. beacause of something the babies did they are not really paying attention obviously.

WWinnieF

[10]Jan 31, 2011

dancingbeatle wrote:
    Did Susie get into as much trouble as the other kids? I can't remember. If not maybe the Carmichaels are good parents. Stu and Didi try to do the right thing, always reading those child care books, but when so much goes wrong in different episodes, places getting messy, etc. beacause of something the babies did they are not really paying attention obviously.
    Well, Lucy is busy with her doctor duties and Randy is producer of a beloved Care Bears-esque program (The Dummi Bears), so even whilst their daughter needs attention, she doesn't get it a lot of the time.

Example: In her own debut episode, when Susie searches for her room and finds it gone, she goes to her parents to see what's up and they are no help, being too busy to notice her to the point that Lucy even reprimands her daughter for having to scream and cry merely to get a response!

But, even so, that doesn't mean Lucy and Randy aren't proud of their children, because Susie realizes in AGU that she can do anything she puts her mind to. The downside to her AGU personality is that Susie grows tired of her "perfect" image and tries to bad--i.e. encouraging smoking and underage drinking, two subjects frowned upon by a majority of parents and older siblings who made smart choices in life (even if they had to learn it themselves the hard way, in the case of some)--in attempts to change herself, when she really ought to be proud of all her success, since she was always, after all, regulated to background status once rival Angelica became nicer.

Edited on 01/31/2011 7:28pm

RugratsFan1991

[11]Feb 12, 2011
    Though their parents are caring, they are very neglectful.

WWinnieF

[12]Feb 12, 2011
    RugratsFan1991 wrote:
    Though their parents are caring, they are very neglectful.
    Yeah. They mean well, but think of it this way, for if they weren't neglectful or if Grandpa didn't have "senior sleep cycle", the babies wouldn't have had their adventures and thus, we wouldn't have a show. XD

RugratsFan1991

[13]Feb 13, 2011
    Exactly. It is a cartoon after all.

WWinnieF

[14]Feb 13, 2011
    RugratsFan1991 wrote:
    Exactly. It is a cartoon after all.
    Right. And that's been my point.

dancingbeatle

[15]Jun 3, 2012
    • level: 45
    I would have liked to see the other grandparents.

WWinnieF

[16]Jan 5, 2014
    dancingbeatle wrote:
    I would have liked to see the other grandparents.
    We did. We saw Chaz's parents. We saw Didi's parents. Lou's first wife, Trixie (Stu and Drew's mother and Tommy, Dil, Angelica's paternal grandmother), is deceased. Melinda, Chuckie's birth mom, is confirmed deceased (see "Mother's Day") as well. Kimi's birth father and his family all the way in Japan. The only grandparents who are unknown are Phil and Lil's grandparents and they were never mentioned, because the twins unfortunately didn't get the recognition or success of Tommy, Chuckie, and Angelica, for even prior to Susie's arrival. the two boys and the blond bully were getting the most merchandise and therefore, focus time.