Rules of Engagement Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

How long until ROE gets the axe (to put it bluntly)?

4everLOST-ed

[1]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 11

Now I'm not implying anything with this question, I'm simply asking all of your collective opinions.  How long do you think it can last?  Will it be...soon, or will it be one of those shows that last like ten years?  Not what you're hoping for, but what you really think it will end up with all either "it will never end!" or "cancel it, please!".

And...go...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sitcomfreak

[2]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 18

oh, please cancel it now! look at all shows that follow 2 1/2 men. . .they ride on the cotails of their lead-in. i like new adventures of old christine but when they had a repeat of men and a new old christine a few weeks back christine suffered b/c ppl knew men was a repeat and didn't tune in as much.

FACTS: -2 1/2 usually gets 3 million more viewers than christine -the week of the rerun, men got approx12m and christine got approx 9m which proves that with men down  mil, christine was down 3mil

courting alex, which was horrible and formulaic and cliche also did good b/c of two and a half men, as did out of practice at one point. put ROE on on thursday nights  and u'll see the ratings slip beyond belief. hell, put it on on tuesday or wednesday and it would do horrible.  i give it 1-2 seasons tops and only b/c of men.

the show is filled with every cliche in the book.  i liked patrick warburton but the show is still cliche.

-the beaten down husband who does what his wife tells him b/c he's too tired of fighting & b/c of this sex is replaced with letterman

-the new lovebirds (who of course have to be beautiful) finds the guy realizing that the girl might turn into the long married woman (megyn price) and at the end a light illuminates his fiance b/c after a talk with a ditzy chinese gurl he realizes his fiance is the only one for him.

-and of course we must toss david spade into the mix of formulaic comedy b/c even though he's not that attractive we are supposed to believe he can nail every woman he wants and b/c he looks at that card (from the nurse woman at the museum) for a second while he's in bed with that blonde ditz we're supposed to believe he's multi-dimensional even tho two seconds later he wants more sex.  what girl in their right mind would even look at him.  he's not that attractive.  if u had to have an attractive person in the show at all it hsould've gone to this part instead of the fiance couple.

i've said too much, case in point:  this show needs to go & give 9:30 back to old christine.

what do u guys think?

Edited on 02/10/2007 10:23pm

friedcheese

[3]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 3
    this is a keeper. what has been lost in sit-coms for years now is the holy trinity of comedy: Good Premise, Good Casting, and Characters that can drive the show. this one has 'em all.

it is all about the laughs, of course, but having nothing but laughs leads to a stale show. at some point there has to be conflict, something happening that keeps the viewer into the lives of the characters. laughs do not develope characters, but well developed characters can lead to great rewards in the laughs department.

i think this show has the sort of quirky yet identifiable characters we all know and love. we can relate to their situations, 'cause we have all had relationships. ergo, the premise is brilliant. as for the casting, i do not recognize the female leads, but warburton and spade give the writers 'hooks' they can use to ground the series. look for thier characters to be developed quickly, and most everything else to play off them for a while.

sitcomfreak

[4]Feb 11, 2007
    well, there's a difference between identifiable characters and stereotypes. these are stereotypes. what a sitcom needs is protoypes. look at roseanne & dan conner of Roseanne. they're marriage was weathered with years and they sumtimes dealt with lack of sex but they didn't make dirty jokes out of it. the pilot was all a bunch of one-liners. to start off a series with gay jokes in the very first scene is not original, it's retarded. david spade's character is 100% a stereotype. i dnt think many other ppl will agree with u. you need to watch more brilliant sitcoms. in Roseanne you laughed not at one-liners but mostly character humor. ur not laughing with these characters here, ur laughing at them b/c it's one big stereotype.

danigro89

[5]Feb 11, 2007
    • level: 37

Listen, I believe that this show will be renewed and here's why. Obviously anything out of Two and a Half Men will do great, (around 13 million viewers) Last year there were 3 shows in those time periods: Out of Practice, Courting Alex, and The New Adventures od Old Christine. All 3 shows did about the same ratings wise but CBS obviously favored Old Christine over Practice and Alex. Think about it, TNAOOC is more like its lead in Two and a Half Men. Both shows have the same kind of situation which is a single parent with a kid and both shows together would be a good match. Practice and Alex were cancelled because neither show could hold out on its own in the Wednesday night timeslot last March. Rules of Engagement has the same kind of set up as How I Met Your Mother: (three guys, two girls two couples and one guy single) so I believe that in May CBS will cancel The Class along with King of Queens and bring back TAAHM, TNAOOC, HIMYM, and ROE so the schedule for fall could look like this...

8:00 How I Met Your Mother

8:30 Rules of Engagement 

9:00 Two and a Half Men

9:30 The New Adventures of Old Christine

Or if Rules declines over the course of the next 6 weeks it could get cancelled and CBS could put a new show on Monday but regardless I believe that TAAHM, TNAOOC, and HIMYM are definitely returning while KOQ and The Class are not.

Edited on 02/11/2007 9:10pm

sitcomfreak

[6]Feb 13, 2007
    Yes, if ROE has to return put it on @8:30pm. I never thought about it, but it does seem to be a better fit with HIMYM rather than TAAHM. And you've said exactly what I said, put ROE on Wednesday night, or even @8pm on Mondays (if there wasn't HIMYM) and you'd see that it couldn't stand on it's own, b/c it relies on it's lead-in. So did TNAOOC but I found it to be more humorous than this show.

A great show will be able to stand on it's own eventually. I don't see that happening here.

blabecky

[7]Feb 13, 2007
    • level: 8
    I don't care for the show.. I can't seem to get into it which sucks becasue I love David Spade and Megyn.. The Class is a much better sticom..

jsalims

[8]Feb 13, 2007
    • level: 6

Hello, here are the actual ratings for Rules of Engagement for the last two episodes:

Pilot--9.8/14--5.8--15.6 million

The Birthday Deal--8.7/13--5.0--13.7 million

I got the total number of viewers by adding Rating + 18-49.

danigro89

[9]Feb 13, 2007

sitcomfreak wrote:
    Yes, if ROE has to return put it on @8:30pm. I never thought about it, but it does seem to be a better fit with HIMYM rather than TAAHM. And you've said exactly what I said, put ROE on Wednesday night, or even @8pm on Mondays (if there wasn't HIMYM) and you'd see that it couldn't stand on it's own, b/c it relies on it's lead-in. So did TNAOOC but I found it to be more humorous than this show. A great show will be able to stand on it's own eventually. I don't see that happening here.

I think CBS might just stick with dramas on Wednesdays. Last Season Still Standing and Yes Dear did badly on wednesday which led to the episode orders getting cut. Also Out of Practice and Courting Alex which once did great after Two and a Half Men did poorly on Wednesday when they were moved in March.

maaarin

[10]Feb 13, 2007
    ROE is just like a copy of Til death (which is also very bad), only with David Spade as an additional character... It's not funny at all... And seeing these ratings makes me wanna barf
    Seriously, it is not funny! Renew The Class, cancel ROE - that's the right thing to do...

danigro89

[11]Feb 13, 2007

I actually want CBS to put The Class out of its misery and cancel it after the season finale airs on March 5. I'm surprised they havent aready axed the show, the ratings are way lower than theyshould be at 8:30 also considering how many more people watch How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men. Even though ROE seems like a copy of Til Death its actually a funny show and it should be renewed and paired with HIMYM 8:30 next season.

yay_boredom

[12]Feb 13, 2007
    Let's take a minuter here since the main consensus seems to be either The Class or ROE is staying and the other is going...

Ratings Wise... ROE is dominating, yes Men is definitely helpful as it has a bigger lead-in then HIMYM. I wouldn't say too much about it though, and wait until the 4th week to determine the average ratings. The Class seems to be staying at 8 million, which actually is an okay retention of the viewers of HIMYM. So if it's only based on ratings: ROE is staying.

Critically Wise... Neither have gotten A+ amazing reviews but ROE is getting overwhelmingly negative reviews by the critics [When I see a positive, I will edit this], while the Class has some critics who are fans and some who are not, but most say that it is improving.

Therefore Critically: Class wins.

Though to be honest here, in the ratings v. critical battle: ROE wins.

I believe ROE will get a second season, but I doubt much more ESPECIALLY if it gets a time switch. Don't expect it to be the next 10-year classic sitcom.

That's my confusing analysis.

AlbieHalpert

[14]Feb 14, 2007
    • level: 8
    This show is very refreshing. I like it alot. The class is absoulotley awful. Not one could actor on that pitiful show.
    Edited on 02/14/2007 4:03am

CoolUserName

[15]Feb 14, 2007
    • level: 7
    I'm not sure about any numbers, but I like the show, I certainly don't think it should be canceled.

danigro89

[16]Feb 14, 2007
    There have been rumors about what CBS might so with The Class. I don't think its a bad show I just personally don't understand it nor does it really fit in with the other 3 shows on monday as well as ROE does. There are no more new shows to premiere so I think by now CBS knows what dramas they want to keep and what comedies they want to keep.

danigro89

[18]Feb 14, 2007
    I really don't think The Class will even get a second season, CBS only wants the best Comedies and they know that they can do that by getting rid of The Class. I'm not saying the show is bad, but if it gets renewed I'm going to be very very surprised.

nannorm

[19]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 9
    I like ROE, it has me laughing more than just a single chuckle and I have come to notice that hasn't been happening as much this season.

But I don't see it lasting.  Not cause it's not good and funny but more because I don't see any potential for depth to the story or even the characters.  I may be early saying that, we're two eps in and all... I know that and hope I'm wrong but I just don't see how....

The forbidden>

danigro89

[20]Feb 15, 2007
    CBS could do what they did in the 2004-2005 season. Cancel their 2 new shows along with a long running show. (Listen Up, Center of The Universe, ELR). So this year they could cancel both The Class and Rules of Engagement along with The King of Queens and find a new sitcom for mondays.