Rules of Engagement Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

Sad but true the show has lost it

Cantankerous

[1]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 6
    I was BIG fan of the show but wow the third season has just lost it. I know this may be unpopular but I don't like the gay twist the show has now, if they want to make a gay show fine just let us know so people that don't like it can tune out! if you're gay thats fine it has nothing to do with me but don't just toss it into a show 3 years into it's run.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lovemj

[2]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 14
    wow....homophobia much? They work in one storyline where one of the couples has a gay friend, such storyline having only come up in 2 of the 7 episodes hat have aired, and you declare this show DOA because it's too gay for you?

I mean, if they turned one of the main characters gay and started trying to preach gay rights and/or gay marriage, I could understand why some people who opposed those views would get upset. Plenty of shows have fallen victim to the writers using the show as a pulpit to push their political views (e.g. the West Wing, Boston Legal, etc). But all they really did was play on one of the built in story lines (Jeff being the uber-manly man) by throwing in a funny twist - Jeff finds out one of his friends is gay They did that for one episode, and it was pretty funny. They bring the gay friend back for another episode where the premise of the episode is that Jeff and Audrey lie to get out of going to Adam and Jennifer's party by going to a better party. They used the prior storyline - the gay couple - to provide the party. But the episode didn't focus at all on the gay couple, it focused on Audrey and Jeff trying to get out of the party, with the added comedy of Russell trying to avoid getting beat up by Jerry Rice by pretending to be gay...news flash, he wasn't gay!

My suggestion is that you immediately stop watching because, frankly, if having two of seven episodes featuring a gay character disturbed you SO MUCH that you had to come on here and start a special thread to talk about how you think they are killing the show by making it a gay show then, well, buddy, you need to be spending your time focusing on other efforts. Trust me, the show will survive without you...or, wait, that's not something you want, is it?

writingcode

[3]Feb 26, 2010
    • level: 1

to me, I think it is just getting better! LOVE IT.

kingbasil

[4]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 10

I think the show is getting better, you need to get used to the changes.

blsrob

[5]Jan 3, 2011
    • level: 8

the show is awesome!!! Jeff is my favorite

drudager

[6]Jul 13, 2011
    • level: 13
    I think the Audrey-baby plot is sinking this show; or at least the repetitiveness of the show's formula: Russell is a sleaze, Adam is odd, Audrey is irritated, Jennifer is in disbelief, Jeff or Timmy is annoyed.

Struggling shows that add infants to it is almost a Jump The Shark cliche. It's sad, tho. The show has such a likable cast.

ltcomstella

[7]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 17

if they showed more of jeff and audrey getting along well instead of them constantly fighting it would be good, all the fighting is cringe worthy no sane woman would stay in a marriage this bad.. even with a kid on the way via the lesbo suragate

adam is getting retarded to the point wtf. the missed connections took the cake on that one.

timmy and russel are about the only 'good thing left'

dh4645

[8]May 15, 2012
    • level: 15
    ltcomstella wrote:

if they showed more of jeff and audrey getting along well instead of them constantly fighting it would be good, all the fighting is cringe worthy no sane woman would stay in a marriage this bad.. even with a kid on the way via the lesbo suragate

adam is getting retarded to the point wtf. the missed connections took the cake on that one.

timmy and russel are about the only 'good thing left'

jeff and audrey are hilarious. it's kinda like the according to jim show, but funnier.

i agree about adam. he is turning into Joey from friends...that season or 2 where he was really really dumb.

i just dont understand why timmy sticks around, he's obviously too good for russel.