Runaway

Pilot

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 25, 2006 on The CW

• An interesting start to what seems like an underappreciated series.

I have had Runaway saved on my DVR for months now and only last night did I delve into its murky world. I know I shouldn't have but I went into it with low expectations: I mean, come on, the show was cancelled after only 3 episodes and it was on The CW! What hope could there be?

Well, I was pleasantly surprised. The show had an intriguing storyline and left me wanting to know what was going to happen next. Donnie Wahlberg is believable as Paul Rader and the child actor(s) act in a mature fashion.

When watching this show, however, you can see that it is not of 100% top quality: there are moments when you want the show to speed up and you can tell that it has been aimed at 12-25 year olds. Having said that, the story is riveting.

I've always been a fan of serial dramas and while this one certainly isn't up there with "Heroes", "Jericho" and "Lost" it still provides and intersting hour of viewing. Think a tamed down, more family-friendly version of "The Riches".

Unfortunatly this series only has 9 episodes so I know that there will be no revelation at the end of the series, but, as one TV.Com blogger said, "just because the song is over why not enjoy the music".