Samurai X Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2003)

kenshin vs. naruto

KaitouKid47

[101]May 23, 2007
    • level: 8

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    FFX383 wrote:
    yea but Kenshin is.... Kenshin the leagendary man slayer, naruto is some annoying kid, although i wont let my emotions get into this disscusion (i hate naruto). I think Kenshin should have a good shot at winning this fight, only becuase like I said before, its Kenshin...
      I also hate Naruto, he's just an annoying little brat, but the power difference between him and Kenshin is just too much, for Kenshin to stand a chance against him past the Chuunin Exams arc of Naruto.

In Part II, he's not annoying anymore.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ensatsu-ken

[102]May 23, 2007
    • level: 19
    KaitouKid47 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    FFX383 wrote:
    yea but Kenshin is.... Kenshin the leagendary man slayer, naruto is some annoying kid, although i wont let my emotions get into this disscusion (i hate naruto). I think Kenshin should have a good shot at winning this fight, only becuase like I said before, its Kenshin...
      I also hate Naruto, he's just an annoying little brat, but the power difference between him and Kenshin is just too much, for Kenshin to stand a chance against him past the Chuunin Exams arc of Naruto.

Well, I suppose that's your opinion. IMO, he's still very annoying in Part II (and yes, I do read the manga; and I just read ch.354 which is the most recent one). He's had very little character development, and he's still obsessed with getting back Sasuke, when its obvious that Sasuke currently has no intentions of going back (he doesn't want to). Another thing, is that he still seems to need an explanation for obvious things. One example, is that he was freaking out, and wondering why Sasuke wouldn't come back, after....
    ***SPOILER***
    Anyways, if Naruto had been paying the slightest bit of attention to the very person who he calls his "friend," he would've already realized the obvious answer (which is the reason why Sasuke left in the first place). Anyways, this is just one of many examples. While I don't hate the series for Naruto, I really have grown to hate the character. Honestly, I feel that he was a bit less annoying when he was kid . One thing is that when I first started Rurouni Kenshin, Yahiko reminded me of Naruto. However, he quickly grew on me as a character, as his character developed and matured (which is pretty sad, considering that he was even younger than Naruto was in the begginning of Naruto, whereas even the older version of Naruto is still quite immature, IMO). Another thing, is that Naruto seems extremely selfish. OK, well maybe he looks out for his friends' best interests, however, if you think about it, he wants to become a Hokage, and a Hokage must be willing and ready to do what is best for his village, while Naruto is only interested in doing what's best for himself and his closest friends. And, even if it is beneficial to his village, he's still doing the things that he does for his own reasons. So, he's quite obviously not Hokage material (but perhaps that could change if he matured by the time he was an adult ). Well, I apologize for the long rant , but that's just the way that I feel about Naruto (and as you can see, I'm quite up to date with the series).

anubis145

[103]May 24, 2007
    • level: 9
    Honestly, Kakashi, Sakura, Shikamaru and Konohamaru are more likely candidates for Hokage. Naruto's plan to get Sasuke back actually makes sense. He wants to show Sasuke what a moron he's been because if he had not left Konoha he could have trained a year everyday like Naruto currently does.

KaitouKid47

[104]May 24, 2007
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    FFX383 wrote:

Well, I suppose that's your opinion. IMO, he's still very annoying in Part II (and yes, I do read the manga; and I just read ch.354 which is the most recent one). He's had very little character development, and he's still obsessed with getting back Sasuke, when its obvious that Sasuke currently has no intentions of going back (he doesn't want to). Another thing, is that he still seems to need an explanation for obvious things. One example, is that he was freaking out, and wondering why Sasuke wouldn't come back, after....
    ***SPOILER***
    Anyways, if Naruto had been paying the slightest bit of attention to the very person who he calls his "friend," he would've already realized the obvious answer (which is the reason why Sasuke left in the first place). Anyways, this is just one of many examples. While I don't hate the series for Naruto, I really have grown to hate the character. Honestly, I feel that he was a bit less annoying when he was kid . One thing is that when I first started Rurouni Kenshin, Yahiko reminded me of Naruto. However, he quickly grew on me as a character, as his character developed and matured (which is pretty sad, considering that he was even younger than Naruto was in the begginning of Naruto, whereas even the older version of Naruto is still quite immature, IMO). Another thing, is that Naruto seems extremely selfish. OK, well maybe he looks out for his friends' best interests, however, if you think about it, he wants to become a Hokage, and a Hokage must be willing and ready to do what is best for his village, while Naruto is only interested in doing what's best for himself and his closest friends. And, even if it is beneficial to his village, he's still doing the things that he does for his own reasons. So, he's quite obviously not Hokage material (but perhaps that could change if he matured by the time he was an adult ). Well, I apologize for the long rant , but that's just the way that I feel about Naruto (and as you can see, I'm quite up to date with the series).

1.  Who said you weren't up to date?

2.  No offense, but all you just did was repeat yourself over and over.  You feel that Naruto is immature (and that's why you find him annoying).  Naruto is more mature than Yahiko and his dream to bring Sasuke back isn't really much different from his goal to become Hokage.  Basically, you said that what I stated was an opinion, but the same can be said of your rant.

3.  Not Hokage material? Um...what?  Please give other reasons than the fact that he doesn't care about his village, because that is not a fact. 

ensatsu-ken

[105]May 24, 2007
    In response to KaitoKid47:

1. I was just informing you that I'm up to date, since most Naruto fans always flame me, and clame that I've hardly seen any of the series whenever I say something bad about it. I was simply stating it so that you would be aware of it.

2. When did I ever say that my opinion was a fact ? If you read my post, I clearly used the expression "IMO." And, "IMO," Yahiko is deffinnitely more mature than Naruto. It may seem like Naruto is more mature based on age, but Yahiko (as has been shown in the manga after his character starts to develop), actually begins to think more clearly, and overtakes his opponents who have a huge advantage over him (such as Henya for example). Naruto, on the other hand, has almost always been relying on Kyuubi's chakra (as even Kabuto pointed out during Jiraiya's and Tsunade's fight with Orochimaru). I'm aware that he is now stong on his own, but that has only been recently, since he recieved proper training from Kakashi (and right now, he is only about equivalent to Kakashi on his own). What I've just said may not seem like maturity, but being able to keep your head cool during battle, and overcome difficult obstacles, is a deffinnite sign of maturity, IMO (and as we can see, Naruto hardly keeps his head cool during battle).

3. Maybe saying that "he doesn't care about his village" wasn't the correct choice of words, but what I meant to say, is that a Hokage needs to put his/her village before himself, whereas right now, Naruto only shows interest for his closest friends, rather than what is best for his whole village. And I really feel that this is fact, but I'll just say that its my opinion: "To me," Naruto is far from being Hokage material. A Hokage must be a stong willed leader, who the people would obey to the death. I highly doubt that the village would ever really obey the "current" Naruto (I'm not saying that he won't mature, I'm just saying that he isn't really mature right now). Another thing I must ask you, is to give me just one or two "good" examples of when Naruto has ever shown any signs of "leadership." He can fight well on his own, and he'll follow orders given to him by his supperriors, but he has never shown anything that can make me say that he could even lead a team as a Chuunin. That is pretty much the main reason why I don't feel that he is Hokage material. But, if you are not satisfied with that, I'll go more in depth with this reasoning at your request.

Anyways, first of all, you don't need to come at me like you did, because in case you got the wrong idea, I wasn't flaming you or anything (but I'm sorry if you felt that I was). Its fine if Naruto is mature in your opinion, but for me, he just isn't. You can try and convince me otherwise if you want, but I don't think I'll find him to be very mature, until he actually does thoroughly develop as a character. I feel that he's arrogant, and obnoxious, and its fine if you disagree with me on that, but once again, its just my opinion.

isildurelendil

[106]May 27, 2007
    • level: 11
    I haven't had time for going thro' this discussion but I can say one thing:As a show,Kenshin beats the hell out of Naruto.I mean,the concepts in Naruto are good but the way it's executed doesn't please me.Besides that,I can list at least 3 anime better than Naruto without strining my memory.

ensatsu-ken

[107]May 27, 2007
    isildurelendil wrote:
    I haven't had time for going thro' this discussion but I can say one thing:As a show,Kenshin beats the hell out of Naruto.I mean,the concepts in Naruto are good but the way it's executed doesn't please me.Besides that,I can list at least 3 anime better than Naruto without strining my memory.

I agree with you there. Even ther Rurouni Kenshin fillers beat some of Naruto's cannon episodes, IMO. Anyways, I'm glad to see that you've been watching Rurouni Kenshin. If you've finished the anime, I suggest that you finish the story line, by reading the manga (which I can give you a link to if you want), since the last arc of the manga was never animated (because everything after the Kyoto arc was filler, and the anime got cancelled in the middle of the filler arc ). Anyways, if you read the manga, you may see that it can rival both Yu Yu Hakusho and Death Note (although I have these shows in a list of my top 10 favorites, these 3 are actually about dead even in quality, IMO ).

anubis145

[108]May 27, 2007
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    isildurelendil wrote:

I agree with you there. Even ther Rurouni Kenshin fillers beat some of Naruto's cannon episodes, IMO. Anyways, I'm glad to see that you've been watching Rurouni Kenshin. If you've finished the anime, I suggest that you finish the story line, by reading the manga (which I can give you a link to if you want), since the last arc of the manga was never animated (because everything after the Kyoto arc was filler, and the anime got cancelled in the middle of the filler arc ). Anyways, if you read the manga, you may see that it can rival both Yu Yu Hakusho and Death Note (although I have these shows in a list of my top 10 favorites, these 3 are actually about dead even in quality, IMO ).
    Yu Yu Hakusho is equal to Death Note and Rurouni Kenshin? I consider it around Naruto's level. The Chapter Black Saga and Spirit Detective saga were good, but other than that...

ensatsu-ken

[109]May 27, 2007
    anubis145 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    isildurelendil wrote:

Yu Yu Hakusho is equal to Death Note and Rurouni Kenshin? I consider it around Naruto's level. The Chapter Black Saga and Spirit Detective saga were good, but other than that...

Well then that's your opinion. IMO its above Naruto and equal to RK and DN (although I put DN and RK ahead of it in my list by just a slight bit). You're probably thinking that its really no different than shounen such as Naruto and Bleach where they can have over the top powers, and many people have the thought process that just because its not so realistic, that it can't be as good as series like RK and DN. However, what I look for the most, is how much a show entertains me, and YYH never had any boring parts for me, it had great fights, unique characters, with funny lines (especially in the English dubs; which I'm guessing you haven't heard much of since you said that the Naruto dubs were better than the YYH dubs on the YYH forum ). Basically, in terms of plot/story line, as well as characters, and character development, YYH is a thoroughly entertaining series, in which I never felt bored, which counts for a lot. (Besides, it has a second meaning to it, in that humans can be the cruelest and ugliest of creatures in some cases, even worse than monsters/demons in this case; although most people don't see that). Anyways, that's just my opinion, but if you don't see it that way, then that's fine as well .

anubis145

[110]May 27, 2007
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    anubis145 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    isildurelendil wrote:
    Well then that's your opinion. IMO its above Naruto and equal to RK and DN (although I put DN and RK ahead of it in my list by just a slight bit). You're probably thinking that its really no different than shounen such as Naruto and Bleach where they can have over the top powers, and many people have the thought process that just because its not so realistic, that it can't be as good as series like RK and DN. However, what I look for the most, is how much a show entertains me, and YYH never had any boring parts for me, it had great fights, unique characters, with funny lines (especially in the English dubs; which I'm guessing you haven't heard much of since you said that the Naruto dubs were better than the YYH dubs on the YYH forum ). Basically, in terms of plot/story line, as well as characters, and character development, YYH is a thoroughly entertaining series, in which I never felt bored, which counts for a lot. (Besides, it has a second meaning to it, in that humans can be the cruelest and ugliest of creatures in some cases, even worse than monsters/demons in this case; although most people don't see that). Anyways, that's just my opinion, but if you don't see it that way, then that's fine as well .
    When I said the Naruto dub was better, I meant the dubbed version as a whole rather than the voice. I have in fact only seen about two episode of YYH subbed. I agree the the Spirit Detective Saga and Chapter Black Saga were easily Rurouni Kenshin's equal, but the Dark Tournament and King Sagas? eh.... The Dark Tournament Saga wasn't that special except for the fact that it contained the most amount of pwnsomeness ever concentrated into a single character (Jin). The King Saga had really cool fights. In facts, Kurama vs. Circle-sword guy (Kirikenmaru?) is among my top 10 favorite anime fights.
    Edited on 05/27/2007 5:33pm

ensatsu-ken

[111]May 27, 2007
    anubis145 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    anubis145 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    isildurelendil wrote:
    When I said the Naruto dub was better, I meant the dubbed version as a whole rather than the voice. I have in fact only seen about two episode of YYH subbed. I agree the the Spirit Detective Saga and Chapter Black Saga were easily Rurouni Kenshin's equal, but the Dark Tournament and King Sagas? eh.... The Dark Tournament Saga wasn't that special except for the fact that it contained the most amount of pwnsomeness ever concentrated into a single character (Jin). The King Saga had really cool fights. In facts, Kurama vs. Circle-sword guy (Kirikenmaru?) is among my top 10 favorite anime fights.

Well I personally really loved the DT saga. It wasn't the best, I agree with you there (at least with the story line anyways, which was still good), however its great fights made up for a lot IMO. Normally, I might get bored if it was just a huge tournament arc such as this, but the DT arc was handled really well IMO. As for the Three Kings Saga, its not as good as Chapter Black either, however it still had a great quality story line, and actually had the potential to be the best arc IMO. The fact that it was a rushed ending, is what kind of ticked me off, but nonetheless, the overall ending was good IMO. Well, allow me to specify. Everything that happenned before and after the Makai Tournament, felt like it was going at a normal pace, but it was the tournament that ended up being rushed (which in a way though, was actually sort of a good thing, since a full tournament would've been too reppettative of DT). Anyways, as I've said, if I had to list them, YYH does go behind DN and RK for me, but only slightly, because really speaking, all 3 series entertained me equally (and I've also read the manga versions for DN and RK). But that's just my opinion I suppose . I respect your opinion anyways, since you've watched the entire series, but for me, YYH stands right up there with both RK and DN, as the top 3 anime/manga series that I'm into (and when it comes to anime, YYH is actually number 2, since the RK anime doesn't finish ).

anubis145

[112]May 27, 2007
    I guess the two Arcs I remembered best (3 Kings and DT) just felt like your basic "ZOMG I WIl B T3H STR0NGZ!!!1 AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" Shonen anime to me, which (IMO at least) is not among the best anime. But you are right about it being highly entertaining (especially Yusuke in the dub). I think the 3 King could have been much better with more time, Kuwabarra, and if they didn't brush guys like Jin, Chu, and Shishi aside.

ensatsu-ken

[113]May 27, 2007
    anubis145 wrote:
    I guess the two Arcs I remembered best (3 Kings and DT) just felt like your basic "ZOMG I WIl B T3H STR0NGZ!!!1 AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" Shonen anime to me, which (IMO at least) is not among the best anime. But you are right about it being highly entertaining (especially Yusuke in the dub). I think the 3 King could have been much better with more time, Kuwabarra, and if they didn't brush guys like Jin, Chu, and Shishi aside.

Ehhh....what can I say, it was never actually supposed to end as it did. I just found out some interesting news, and until now, I was under the belief that Togashi had ended his manga in a rushed manner, because he was extremely sick during the time of its completion, and therefore rushed the ending when he saw an oppurtunity to end it. Then, I read an article, that explained that although sick, he really had no itentions of ending the story right then and there. I haven't looked too much into it, but back then, the editors of Shounen Jump, were a lot stricter than they are now, and they had a certain "code" or "sytem" which was basically the "shounen way" of doing things. I have come to understand that Togashi wanted to do something in his manga, that may have been deemed "unshounen-like" which caused him to go into a disagreement with the editors of SJ, and in turn, lead to him finishin off his manga as quickly as possible, before it got canceled. I'll try finding a link to that article when I have the time . Anyways, I do agree that the DT arc, as well as the Three Kings arc, put a lot of deal on having the main characters get more powerful, but they also had a great story line to them, and above that, the character progressed (developed) in personality and maturity, rather than just skill alone, which is why I loved all of the arcs . Anyways, had YYH come out during this present time, in which the SJ editors are a lot more lenient as to the content contained in their series (as can be seen with Death Note), it would've no doubt had a much different ending. Its a shame, because it would've been interesting to see where Togashi was really heading with the story .

SaughnWolfDmn39

[114]May 28, 2007
    • level: 10

Kenshin is strong but Naruto having chakra and the nine tailded fox in him he would definatly cream Kenhsin.

Its no match at all.

KaitouKid47

[115]May 28, 2007

Naruto Topic: He's been showing leadership in the current arc and in the previous arc.

YYH Topic: I agree with ensatsu-ken in that I though the DT Arc was great. However, I agree with anubis in that I didn't care for the plot of the Three Kings Arc. Personally, the idea of Yusuke being a demon seemed kind of stupid to me (and kind of ruined the rest of the series) and that may have influenced my opinin of the arc. BTW, the guy with the circular sword that Kurama fought was named Shigure.

Edited on 05/28/2007 8:00am

isildurelendil

[116]May 28, 2007
    • level: 11
    SaughnWolfDmn39 wrote:

Kenshin is strong but Naruto having chakra and the nine tailded fox in him he would definatly cream Kenhsin.

Its no match at all.

I agree patially with you there.Kenshin has Hiten Mitsurugi style and god-like speed.But he is a human.But he can take on Naruto at least up to chunin exams

ensatsu-ken

[117]May 28, 2007
    KaitouKid47 wrote:

Naruto Topic: He's been showing leadership in the current arc and in the previous arc.

YYH Topic: I agree with ensatsu-ken in that I though the DT Arc was great. However, I agree with anubis in that I didn't care for the plot of the Three Kings Arc. Personally, the idea of Yusuke being a demon seemed kind of stupid to me (and kind of ruined the rest of the series) and that may have influenced my opinin of the arc. BTW, the guy with the circular sword that Kurama fought was named Shigure.

Nauto Topic: Could you possibly give me some examples ? Because I haven't seen any signs of leadership on his part, so I'm just asking for some examples.

YYH Topic: I don't think that it was stupid that YYH was a demon, but I agree that the story line of the last arc could've been better. But I don't think it was bad either. I was enjoying myself the whole time, and the story line of the last arc of YYH, was relly good until the tournament came into play, IMO (and even then, the tournament wasn't a horrible idea, it at least got the series settled down to an ending ). Besides, I had always been guessing that Yusuke may have had some demonic relative, and I wasn't too surprised to find out that he was part demon (as in, it didn't feel like it was just thrown in there for the sake of being a plot twist, which is a good thing, IMO anyways ).

Edited on 05/28/2007 9:36am

anubis145

[118]May 28, 2007
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    anubis145 wrote:

Ehhh....what can I say, it was never actually supposed to end as it did. I just found out some interesting news, and until now, I was under the belief that Togashi had ended his manga in a rushed manner, because he was extremely sick during the time of its completion, and therefore rushed the ending when he saw an oppurtunity to end it. Then, I read an article, that explained that although sick, he really had no itentions of ending the story right then and there. I haven't looked too much into it, but back then, the editors of Shounen Jump, were a lot stricter than they are now, and they had a certain "code" or "sytem" which was basically the "shounen way" of doing things. I have come to understand that Togashi wanted to do something in his manga, that may have been deemed "unshounen-like" which caused him to go into a disagreement with the editors of SJ, and in turn, lead to him finishin off his manga as quickly as possible, before it got canceled. I'll try finding a link to that article when I have the time . Anyways, I do agree that the DT arc, as well as the Three Kings arc, put a lot of deal on having the main characters get more powerful, but they also had a great story line to them, and above that, the character progressed (developed) in personality and maturity, rather than just skill alone, which is why I loved all of the arcs . Anyways, had YYH come out during this present time, in which the SJ editors are a lot more lenient as to the content contained in their series (as can be seen with Death Note), it would've no doubt had a much different ending. Its a shame, because it would've been interesting to see where Togashi was really heading with the story .
    Really? I didn't know that. I'd like it if Togashi published the originally planned ending some time.

ensatsu-ken

[119]May 28, 2007

anubis145 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    anubis145 wrote:
    Really? I didn't know that. I'd like it if Togashi published the originally planned ending some time.

I would like that as well . But I highly doubt, seeing as how he is in the middle of his other series, Hunter X Hunter (which BTW, he has taken leave from for over a year now, due to illness ). And, in this case, his SJ editors are a lot more lenient with him on this, and haven't canceled his series, and they also give him great vacation packages (or so I hear ). Basically, he gets "special" treatment and benefits, as a mangaka who has been working with SJ longer than most others.

Edited on 05/28/2007 11:11am

anubis145

[120]May 28, 2007
    ensatsu-ken wrote:

anubis145 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    anubis145 wrote:

I would like that as well . But I highly doubt, seeing as how he is in the middle of his other series, Hunter X Hunter (which BTW, he has taken leave from for over a year now, due to illness ). And, in this case, his SJ editors are a lot more lenient with him on this, and haven't canceled his series, and they also give him great vacation packages (or so I hear ). Basically, he gets "special" treatment and benefits, as a mangaka who has been working with SJ longer than most others.

I didn't know he did HunterXHunter too. I'll have to start reading that.