Samurai X Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2003)

Question: Manga or Anime first?

Mo_Course

[1]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 3
    Okay so i have access to both all the Rurouni Kenshin manga volumes and episodes of the television series but I don't know which to read/watch first. Are they alike enough that it won't make a difference? Or will getting trhough one first ruin the other for me? I'm further in the show (about half way through the kyoto arc) then I am through the managa (at the beginning on the kyoto arc)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

John666666666

[2]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 16
    Mo_Course wrote:
    Okay so i have access to both all the Rurouni Kenshin manga volumes and episodes of the television series but I don't know which to read/watch first. Are they alike enough that it won't make a difference? Or will getting trhough one first ruin the other for me? I'm further in the show (about half way through the kyoto arc) then I am through the managa (at the beginning on the kyoto arc)

The anime is similar to the manga through the Kyoto Arc and then vier's off drastically. Though there are a few changes to the anime, the biggest adding the children Ayame and Suzume who didn't exist in the manga. The Manga is what you should read first, it's better than the anime. But you don't have to the anime is still great even with it's a little disappointing third and final arc. I still loved the show and gave it a 10. So you can't go wrong with either.

ensatsu-ken

[3]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 19
    I'd suggest reading the manga first. However, the first 2 seasons of the anime stick very close to the plot of the manga, so you can't go wrong with finishing up the Kyoto arc in the anime for Rurouni Kenshin, before reading the manga. But, I strongly suggest that you skip the final season of Rurouni Kenshin, as its rather boring, and isn't based off of anything in the manga's story line. You should definitely finish the series by reading the final story arc in the manga.

crzza

[4]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 49
    I'd go with the manga first.

Evolution_666

[5]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 14
    Manga

scarredsword

[6]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 2
    I'd read the manga first so you can understand the true spirit of RK, which is rather diluted in the anime.

latinblue

[7]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 9
    scarredsword wrote:
    I'd read the manga first so you can understand the true spirit of RK, which is rather diluted in the anime.

I agree 100% on what you said.

windseeker15

[8]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 9
    Anime first, IMO. Then the manga to fill in gaps.

SpikeTbear

[9]Jul 22, 2009
    • level: 7
    Does anyone feel like explaining the end of the manga here? I watched the whole series, and "Reflection" was a horrible end to the series, and completely out of character for both Kenshin and Kaoru. I need some closure to get that bad taste out of my mouth.

KaitouKid47

[10]Aug 19, 2009
    • level: 8

Like most peoplle have said, the first two arcs are pretty much the same. Some minor changes are:

1. Ayame and Suzume added (really not as important as it sounds)

2. Some fillers added in between Yahiko's Battle Mini Arc and Raijuta Mini Arc

3. Raijuta Arc changed considerably, though it was for the better if you ask me (one of the few times that this has been the case with anything)

4. Some fights (specifically the final one with Shishio) were elongated in the anime version of the Kyoto Arc.

5. The lackluster filler third season (it's not all bad though, the Son of God Arc is great, and the Black Knight Arc is ok)

6. No Revenge Arc in the anime (this is really the worst problem)

All in all, as a hardcore RK fan, I recommend that you watch the anime first, and then read the manga. You'll be less appalled by the anime that way. That's how it was for me.

PS - the Reflections OVA is an abomination. Don't watch it unless you feel like getting pissed off.

EDIT: Trust and Betrayal are godly. Watch them. (I personally like the manga version better -presented as a flashback in the Revenge Arc -, but no one else on this forum agrees with me and you probably won't either).

Edited on 08/19/2009 1:19pm

CappinHoff

[11]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 5

KaitouKid47 wrote:
    PS - the Reflections OVA is an abomination. Don't watch it unless you feel like getting pissed off.

Actually it's not an abomination. It gives a good ending to RK himself. I'm not sure the issue with it.