Samurai X Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2003)

Samurai X vs Rurouni Kenshin

Samurai X vs Rurouni Kenshin - which do you prefer???

SsriTelQuessir

[1]Jan 18, 2008
    • level: 26

Same character...very different storylines, very different animation, very different dialogues. What are your thoughts?

Me, I totally loved the first half of Samurai X - Wow it was stunningly beautiful. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed and related to the characters. Generally speaking I enjoy a good tragedy. But then, the 2nd half...what the hell was that?!?

I did not think that I would like Rurouni Kenshin after seeing the movie in the Samurai X box set. So I was a little slow to start watching the series. But now that I have finished the 1st season, I would say that I have enjoyed it more than I expected.

I prefer the dark, brooding, stoic Kenshin from Samurai X to the comic, often bumbling Kenshin of the series.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ensatsu-ken

[2]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 19
    SsriTelQuessir wrote:

Same character...very different storylines, very different animation, very different dialogues. What are your thoughts?

Me, I totally loved the first half of Samurai X - Wow it was stunningly beautiful. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed and related to the characters. Generally speaking I enjoy a good tragedy. But then, the 2nd half...what the hell was that?!?

I did not think that I would like Rurouni Kenshin after seeing the movie in the Samurai X box set. So I was a little slow to start watching the series. But now that I have finished the 1st season, I would say that I have enjoyed it more than I expected.

I prefer the dark, brooding, stoic Kenshin from Samurai X to the comic, often bumbling Kenshin of the series.

Finish watching the Kyoto arc of the TV series, and then try and come to a judgement. However, as for your opinion on Samurai X, I completely agree with you. Trust and Betrayal were superb OVAs, but IMO, Reflections was complete crap. However, by the looks of it, you didn't understand Reflections, and the reason for that is because you actually needed to have seen the TV series in the first place to understand it, since it already assumes that the viewers know about the events of the TV series and manga, and therefore only make quick referrences to it, but without any explinations to them, so viewers who have not seen the TV series would be lost. Still, that doesn't change my opinion on the the last set of OVAs at all, since I still find them to be absolute crap.

SsriTelQuessir

[3]Jan 22, 2008

I saw Samurai X before I started watching Rurouni Kenshin. I am about halfway through the Kyoto arc...I think that I'm on episode 38 or 39 now...I watch about three a night. So, I'll take your advice and re-evaluate after I am finished with the Kyoto arc. I will say, though, that I would be supized if I liked RK more than the first half of Samurai X...but we'll see. I really only have one main critique for RK and that is that there is too much humor employed...I don't mind a little comic relief, but I think that it is overboard. I'll post again after watching the next five or six eps.

ensatsu-ken

[4]Jan 23, 2008
    SsriTelQuessir wrote:

I saw Samurai X before I started watching Rurouni Kenshin. I am about halfway through the Kyoto arc...I think that I'm on episode 38 or 39 now...I watch about three a night. So, I'll take your advice and re-evaluate after I am finished with the Kyoto arc. I will say, though, that I would be supized if I liked RK more than the first half of Samurai X...but we'll see. I really only have one main critique for RK and that is that there is too much humor employed...I don't mind a little comic relief, but I think that it is overboard. I'll post again after watching the next five or six eps.

That's actually part of what I like about RK. However, I never felt that there was "too much" humor in it. I felt that it just had the right amount. At any rate, that is what the tone of RK is supposed to be like, except for the part about his past, and his relationship with Tomoe. Its actually the Samurai X OVAs which changed that theme to a more sad and depressing theme. While I liked the 1st half of the OVAs a lot myself, I sort of felt that there was something missing from it, and of course, for me, its the humor, even though the OVAs weren't supposed to be humerous. Anyways, to me, every anime can use at least a little bit of humor, IMO.

SsriTelQuessir

[5]Jan 25, 2008

ensatsu-ken wrote:

That's actually part of what I like about RK. However, I never felt that there was "too much" humor in it. I felt that it just had the right amount. At any rate, that is what the tone of RK is supposed to be like, except for the part about his past, and his relationship with Tomoe. Its actually the Samurai X OVAs which changed that theme to a more sad and depressing theme. While I liked the 1st half of the OVAs a lot myself, I sort of felt that there was something missing from it, and of course, for me, its the humor, even though the OVAs weren't supposed to be humerous. Anyways, to me, every anime can use at least a little bit of humor, IMO.

RK is older, right? Perhaps humor, in general,is the wrong word...it's the slap-stick in particular that I am not terribly fond of. In any case, we ca agree to disagree. I will say, though, I am enjoying RK, even though Kenshin isn't dark and brooding.

goofy5507

[6]Jan 29, 2008
    • level: 12
    isn't the difference just RK is in japanese and Samurai X is the English translated version or am i completely missing the ball here?

talonmalon333

[7]Jan 29, 2008
    • level: 27

goofy5507 wrote:
    isn't the difference just RK is in japanese and Samurai X is the English translated version or am i completely missing the ball here?

Well Rurouni Kenshin is the television anime series consisting of 95 episodes. It was the series that aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami block. It tells most of the story of Kenshin's adventure. However, due to ratings dropping, only the first 62 episodes were aired, and the final arc of the manga could not be animated.

On the other hand Samurai X is an ova series, that consists of three chapters. Two of them tell about Kenshin's early years, and the third ova tells about the next part of his story, taking place after the television series. I haven't seen any of them, but I plan to after I watch all of the original series.

goofy5507

[8]Jan 30, 2008
    talonmalon333 wrote:

goofy5507 wrote:

Well Rurouni Kenshin is the television anime series consisting of 95 episodes. It was the series that aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami block. It tells most of the story of Kenshin's adventure. However, due to ratings dropping, only the first 62 episodes were aired, and the final arc of the manga could not be animated.

On the other hand Samurai X is an ova series, that consists of three chapters. Two of them tell about Kenshin's early years, and the third ova tells about the next part of his story, taking place after the television series. I haven't seen any of them, but I plan to after I watch all of the original series.

Ah i see, well it's all bout the manga so i guess i missed nothing

KaitouKid47

[9]Feb 1, 2008
    • level: 8
    talonmalon333 wrote:

goofy5507 wrote:

I'm sure that you're tired of hearing this, but Reflections is not worth your time.

talonmalon333

[10]Feb 1, 2008
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

goofy5507 wrote:

I'm sure that you're tired of hearing this, but Reflections is not worth your time.

I have heard that it was really good... but then again the person who said that really said "they saw the ova's and really liked them", so they weren't very specific. It's possible that they were refering to the first two, which seems to get praise. However even if it gets negative ratings I will want to check it out, in order to finish the story. Besides, I will want to see if it is any good to me.

KaitouKid47

[11]Feb 2, 2008
    talonmalon333 wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

goofy5507 wrote:

I have heard that it was really good... but then again the person who said that really said "they saw the ova's and really liked them", so they weren't very specific. It's possible that they were refering to the first two, which seems to get praise. However even if it gets negative ratings I will want to check it out, in order to finish the story. Besides, I will want to see if it is any good to me.

But it doesn't finish the story. It's just a load of bull$hit. If you really want to finish the story, read the manga. It conains a flashback (basically what's in Trust and Betrayal and if you ask me the manga version is better) and the real end to the story.

talonmalon333

[12]Feb 2, 2008
    KaitouKid47 wrote:

But it doesn't finish the story. It's just a load of bull$hit. If you really want to finish the story, read the manga. It conains a flashback (basically what's in Trust and Betrayal and if you ask me the manga version is better) and the real end to the story.

I didn't know that part, then. I will probably read the manga first, to see the true ending. After I am done, if I feel like it, I may see the final ova. Not for any reason, just for the sake of seeing what it is like. Besides, if it turns out bad, then I can enjoy critisizing it .

ensatsu-ken

[13]Feb 5, 2008
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

goofy5507 wrote:

Actually, I feel that the Trust and Betrayal OVAs did a tad bit of a better job at portraying Kenshin's dark past. But, I definitely agree with you 100% on Reflections. It was just a load of crap. Plus, its not even canon .

talonmalon333

[14]Feb 5, 2008
    It's interesting to hear what everyone thinks, in that the results of the final ova were quite, sour. Maybe I should look to the manga for the true ending.

kenshinloverr

[15]Feb 9, 2008
    • level: 1

Spoilers are present

Samurai X was so freaking sad. It was absolutely heartwrenching. Especially the "Reflections" one. I swear I was crying for an hour. But it took me forever to actually realize that Kenshin's scar disappeared when he died. I was watching the ending for the 6th time when it finally registered in my brain. God, I'm slow. I really like the animation though, in Samurai X. The facial expressions were much more realistic. And, Kenshin looks way better in Samurai X than in Rurouni Kenshin. But, I don't think Samurai X and Rurouni Kenshin can really be compared, because they are totally different, like in every sense. Rurouni Kenshin was more of a happy lighthearted show, but Samurai X was really intense, and had a lot of drama. Although, I have to say, I enjoyed Rurouni Kenshin more. It was easier to watch. My insides weren't clenching and I wasn't tearing up every 10 minutes. Well except for the Kyoto episodes, but those were tears of joy. I think that Samurai X is really good to watch after you have finished Rurouni Kenshin. It basically clears everything up. Actually, you won't even understand Samurai X until you've finished Rurouni Kenshin. I think I finished the second season of Rurouni Kenshin when I tried to watch 'Reflections', but none of it made sense. Oh, and I really want to know, the disease that Kenshin and Kaoru had, was it like AIDS or something? Because Kaoru contracted it after she had sex with Kenshin. But then AIDS does not make your skin go all gross, I don't think. But it's definitely some kind of STD. I'm really curious to know what it is.

Edited on 02/09/2008 2:04am

SsriTelQuessir

[16]Feb 9, 2008

ensatsu-ken wrote:

I understand, I believe, what you're saying. Perhaps because I liked the up through Trust and Betrayal so much, that I thought RK seemed a little overboard to me in the slap stick department. I did enjoy very much the humorus dialogue. I wouldn't necesarrily say that I like tragedy more than commedy, or that elements of each can't be combined.

SsriTelQuessir

[17]Feb 9, 2008
    KaitouKid47 wrote:

I hadn't heard that the manga had an ending different from Reflections. I would imagine that it is worth reading, then, as just about anything, up to an including alcohol saturation, to get Reflections out of my mind would be a good thing.

KaitouKid47

[18]Feb 9, 2008
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

goofy5507 wrote:

Actually, I feel that the Trust and Betrayal OVAs did a tad bit of a better job at portraying Kenshin's dark past. But, I definitely agree with you 100% on Reflections. It was just a load of crap. Plus, its not even canon .

The OVA did an awful job with the characters. None of them were portrayed as having any depth, including Kenshin. I also hated how none of the bad guys talked except Inui Banjin's master. Then, they barely showed Shishio at all. At least they removed the plot-hole from the manga where Shishio uses the Homuradama to kill the traitor (at this point he wouldn't have had the Mugenjin and even if he did he hadn't create the fire attacks yet, so him using the technique should have been impossible). I liked that part.

tota1ity

[19]Feb 9, 2008
    I more preffer Rurouni Kenshin.

ensatsu-ken

[20]Feb 14, 2008
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

goofy5507 wrote:

The OVA did an awful job with the characters. None of them were portrayed as having any depth, including Kenshin. I also hated how none of the bad guys talked except Inui Banjin's master. Then, they barely showed Shishio at all. At least they removed the plot-hole from the manga where Shishio uses the Homuradama to kill the traitor (at this point he wouldn't have had the Mugenjin and even if he did he hadn't create the fire attacks yet, so him using the technique should have been impossible). I liked that part.

Well, all of that is only YOUR OPINION .

If you're talking about Reflections, then yes, the OVAs did a horrible job with the characters, IMO. However, as far as Trust and Betryal goes, Kenshin and Tomoe acted exactly as they did in the manga. So, saying that none of them had any depth in the OVAs, is like saying that none of them had any depth in the manga, which is just plain rediculous, IMO.