Samurai X Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2003)

Samurai X vs Rurouni Kenshin

Samurai X vs Rurouni Kenshin - which do you prefer???

  • Avatar of KaitouKid47

    KaitouKid47

    [21]Feb 19, 2008
    • member since: 02/24/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 587
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

    goofy5507 wrote:
    isn't the difference just RK is in japanese and Samurai X is the English translated version or am i completely missing the ball here?

    Well Rurouni Kenshin is the television anime series consisting of 95 episodes. It was the series that aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami block. It tells most of the story of Kenshin's adventure. However, due to ratings dropping, only the first 62 episodes were aired, and the final arc of the manga could not be animated.

    On the other hand Samurai X is an ova series, that consists of three chapters. Two of them tell about Kenshin's early years, and the third ova tells about the next part of his story, taking place after the television series. I haven't seen any of them, but I plan to after I watch all of the original series.

    I'm sure that you're tired of hearing this, but Reflections is not worth your time.

    I have heard that it was really good... but then again the person who said that really said "they saw the ova's and really liked them", so they weren't very specific. It's possible that they were refering to the first two, which seems to get praise. However even if it gets negative ratings I will want to check it out, in order to finish the story. Besides, I will want to see if it is any good to me.

    But it doesn't finish the story. It's just a load of bull$hit. If you really want to finish the story, read the manga. It conains a flashback (basically what's in Trust and Betrayal and if you ask me the manga version is better) and the real end to the story.

    Actually, I feel that the Trust and Betrayal OVAs did a tad bit of a better job at portraying Kenshin's dark past. But, I definitely agree with you 100% on Reflections. It was just a load of crap. Plus, its not even canon .

    The OVA did an awful job with the characters. None of them were portrayed as having any depth, including Kenshin. I also hated how none of the bad guys talked except Inui Banjin's master. Then, they barely showed Shishio at all. At least they removed the plot-hole from the manga where Shishio uses the Homuradama to kill the traitor (at this point he wouldn't have had the Mugenjin and even if he did he hadn't create the fire attacks yet, so him using the technique should have been impossible). I liked that part.

    Well, all of that is only YOUR OPINION . If you're talking about Reflections, then yes, the OVAs did a horrible job with the characters, IMO. However, as far as Trust and Betryal goes, Kenshin and Tomoe acted exactly as they did in the manga. So, saying that none of them had any depth in the OVAs, is like saying that none of them had any depth in the manga, which is just plain rediculous, IMO.

    How the hell is that an opinion? The ratio of all the characters' lines and facial expressions in the manga's flashback to all the characters' lines and facial expressions in Trust/Betrayal is a large one and can't be overlooked. Oh, and Kenshin did not act the same in the manga and the OVA. In the manga, he's one of the guys and hangs out with them. In the OVA he's a mindless drone that just kills, sleeps, and occasionally speaks when spoken to. As for Tomoe, I'll admit that her personality was the same, but a lot of her lines and emotions were cut out. I won't even get into how the bad guys were handled. Why? They never said anything in the OVAs so I just can't compare them. So, the only opinion in this post is the quote of your post, where you call all of my arguments "just plain rediculous."

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of talonmalon333

    talonmalon333

    [22]Feb 20, 2008
    • member since: 10/06/06
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 6,574
    I am beginning to hate the word "opinion".
    But as many have said, I will have a look at the manga before seeing the ova series.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ensatsu-ken

    ensatsu-ken

    [23]Feb 23, 2008
    • member since: 10/24/06
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 6,686
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:
    KaitouKid47 wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

    goofy5507 wrote:
    isn't the difference just RK is in japanese and Samurai X is the English translated version or am i completely missing the ball here?

    Well Rurouni Kenshin is the television anime series consisting of 95 episodes. It was the series that aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami block. It tells most of the story of Kenshin's adventure. However, due to ratings dropping, only the first 62 episodes were aired, and the final arc of the manga could not be animated.

    On the other hand Samurai X is an ova series, that consists of three chapters. Two of them tell about Kenshin's early years, and the third ova tells about the next part of his story, taking place after the television series. I haven't seen any of them, but I plan to after I watch all of the original series.

    I'm sure that you're tired of hearing this, but Reflections is not worth your time.

    I have heard that it was really good... but then again the person who said that really said "they saw the ova's and really liked them", so they weren't very specific. It's possible that they were refering to the first two, which seems to get praise. However even if it gets negative ratings I will want to check it out, in order to finish the story. Besides, I will want to see if it is any good to me.

    But it doesn't finish the story. It's just a load of bull$hit. If you really want to finish the story, read the manga. It conains a flashback (basically what's in Trust and Betrayal and if you ask me the manga version is better) and the real end to the story.

    Actually, I feel that the Trust and Betrayal OVAs did a tad bit of a better job at portraying Kenshin's dark past. But, I definitely agree with you 100% on Reflections. It was just a load of crap. Plus, its not even canon .

    The OVA did an awful job with the characters. None of them were portrayed as having any depth, including Kenshin. I also hated how none of the bad guys talked except Inui Banjin's master. Then, they barely showed Shishio at all. At least they removed the plot-hole from the manga where Shishio uses the Homuradama to kill the traitor (at this point he wouldn't have had the Mugenjin and even if he did he hadn't create the fire attacks yet, so him using the technique should have been impossible). I liked that part.

    Well, all of that is only YOUR OPINION . If you're talking about Reflections, then yes, the OVAs did a horrible job with the characters, IMO. However, as far as Trust and Betryal goes, Kenshin and Tomoe acted exactly as they did in the manga. So, saying that none of them had any depth in the OVAs, is like saying that none of them had any depth in the manga, which is just plain rediculous, IMO.

    How the hell is that an opinion? The ratio of all the characters' lines and facial expressions in the manga's flashback to all the characters' lines and facial expressions in Trust/Betrayal is a large one and can't be overlooked. Oh, and Kenshin did not act the same in the manga and the OVA. In the manga, he's one of the guys and hangs out with them. In the OVA he's a mindless drone that just kills, sleeps, and occasionally speaks when spoken to. As for Tomoe, I'll admit that her personality was the same, but a lot of her lines and emotions were cut out. I won't even get into how the bad guys were handled. Why? They never said anything in the OVAs so I just can't compare them. So, the only opinion in this post is the quote of your post, where you call all of my arguments "just plain rediculous."



    Sersously, do you know what the hell and opinion is ? Do you honestly think that everything that you type is automatically true fact? First of all, what you mentioned just goes to show that you're arguing for the sake of not wanting to be wrong (not that I even accused you of being wrong), and think that you're 100% right. Kenshin acts pretty damn mindless in the manga as well (during his past with Tomoe), except for a few MINOR scenes of comic relief, as well as when you get to here some of his internal thoughts. There isn't too much more of that in the manga than in the OVAs, I know, because I've seen both, so don't try to act as though I haven't read the manga.

    Kenshin pretty much acts the same in both Trust and Betrayal, as well as in his past in the manga. Most of the time he's all mello and refrains from expressing any emotions.

    And now your just being the type of arrogant person who thinks that anyone who thinks differently than you, is automatically wrong. I never called your post rediculous, I merely just stated that it would be rediculous to say that the manga and OVAs had no depth to them (obviously you need to learn how to read better).

    Now, what I really can't stand, is you thinking your so superior like a little child. I showed complete respect for your OPINION (and yes, it is your opinion). But look at you . For no good reason at all, you just go off on me for saying that I like the OVAs portayal of Kenshin's relationship with Tomoe, slightly better than the manga. How childish can you be? I never gave you any criticism, yet you just come up with some BS about me calling all of your arguments rediculous, and then you try to insult me for having a different taste than your "oh so divine" judgement . Honestly, you need to grow up, and learn that not everybody thinks the same way that you do. If you honestly think that its a FACT that everybody is supposed to like the manga's version of Kenshin's past better than the OVA's, then you seriously need to learn to have some respect .

    The bottom line is that you had no reason to act like such a jerk. And you clearly don't know the meaning of the word opinion, or the value of an opinion. Go look up the definition, because I seriously can't deal with someone whose going to argue with me thinking that he is automatically right on all counts.

    Or, here's a better idea. Why not go back and read all of our posts, previous to this one, and then see for yourself just how unnecessary it was for you to come up with such an condescending and aggressive response. As you can see, I gave you no reason to go off, yet you must be so obsessed with thinking that your right, that you did it anyways. Wow, I really thought that you were much better than that. Well, hopefully I'm wrong about changing my mind for the moment.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of talonmalon333

    talonmalon333

    [24]Feb 25, 2008
    • member since: 10/06/06
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 6,574

    OPINION

    Noun

    1.a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

    2.a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

    3.the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.

    4.Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.

    5.a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.

    6.a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

    —Synonyms 1. persuasion, notion, idea, impression. Opinion, sentiment, view are terms for one's conclusion about something. An opinion is a belief or judgment that falls short of absolute conviction, certainty, or positive knowledge; it is a conclusion that certain facts, ideas, etc., are probably true or likely to prove so: political opinions; an opinion about art; In my opinion this is true. Sentiment (usually pl.) refers to a rather fixed conviction, usually based on feeling or emotion rather than reasoning: These are my sentiments. View is an estimate of something, an intellectual judgment, a critical survey based on a mental examination, particularly of a public matter: views on governmental planning.

    Reference: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ensatsu-ken

    ensatsu-ken

    [25]Feb 26, 2008
    • member since: 10/24/06
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 6,686
    talonmalon333 wrote:

    OPINION

    Noun

    1.a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

    2.a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

    3.the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.

    4.Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.

    5.a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.

    6.a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

    -Synonyms 1. persuasion, notion, idea, impression. Opinion, sentiment, view are terms for one's conclusion about something. An opinion is a belief or judgment that falls short of absolute conviction, certainty, or positive knowledge; it is a conclusion that certain facts, ideas, etc., are probably true or likely to prove so: political opinions; an opinion about art; In my opinion this is true. Sentiment (usually pl.) refers to a rather fixed conviction, usually based on feeling or emotion rather than reasoning: These are my sentiments. View is an estimate of something, an intellectual judgment, a critical survey based on a mental examination, particularly of a public matter: views on governmental planning.

    Reference: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion



    So, was that supposed to be in response to either me or KaitouKid47, or was that something that you just posted out of the blue ?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of talonmalon333

    talonmalon333

    [26]Feb 27, 2008
    • member since: 10/06/06
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 6,574
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

    OPINION

    Noun

    1.a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

    2.a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

    3.the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.

    4.Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.

    5.a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.

    6.a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

    -Synonyms 1. persuasion, notion, idea, impression. Opinion, sentiment, view are terms for one's conclusion about something. An opinion is a belief or judgment that falls short of absolute conviction, certainty, or positive knowledge; it is a conclusion that certain facts, ideas, etc., are probably true or likely to prove so: political opinions; an opinion about art; In my opinion this is true. Sentiment (usually pl.) refers to a rather fixed conviction, usually based on feeling or emotion rather than reasoning: These are my sentiments. View is an estimate of something, an intellectual judgment, a critical survey based on a mental examination, particularly of a public matter: views on governmental planning.

    Reference: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion

    So, was that supposed to be in response to either me or KaitouKid47, or was that something that you just posted out of the blue ?

    You said he should look it up .

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of John666666666

    John666666666

    [27]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 09/23/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 171

    I really don't know why people are so hard on Reflections it was great. You get to see how the characters end up and how Kenshin's journey comes to a end. I really loved it, and don't see how any fan of the show and manga could hate it. Also if you get the DVD you can see interviews with all the cast of the shows, it's also great hearing the reflect on the OVA's and series.

    Now moving on to the question, which is better the OVA's or series. They are all great and is hard to decide. I really can't, I loved them both equally.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ensatsu-ken

    ensatsu-ken

    [28]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 10/24/06
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 6,686

    John666666666 wrote:

    I really don't know why people are so hard on Reflections it was great. You get to see how the characters end up and how Kenshin's journey comes to a end. I really loved it, and don't see how any fan of the show and manga could hate it. Also if you get the DVD you can see interviews with all the cast of the shows, it's also great hearing the reflect on the OVA's and series.

    Now moving on to the question, which is better the OVA's or series. They are all great and is hard to decide. I really can't, I loved them both equally.

    My problem with Reflection was that the characters felt so out of place. Kaoru was doing nothing but sulking, and just waiting for Kenshin to return in a depressed mood, and Kenshin completely abandoned his own son, which I don't think is something that he would do, as it doesn't seem to fit his character. Sure, I can understand that he would still feel guilty, because after killing so many people, its impossible to completely get rid of the feeling of guilt, but I don't see why he has to go all the way in the middle of a war in China, which is so far away from home, in order to repent.

    I also felt that the dialogue was really corny at times, and the way that it showed the flash-backs was done horribly, IMO. They just rushed through a bunch of things, and completely cut out important things which happened in the manga, with the Jinchuu (aka Enishi) arc. And, there was also the fact that I personally found most of Reflection to be boring to watch. But, that's just my personal opinion on it.

    To me, it was a disappointing conclusion OVA. As for the TV series, I had the same sort of problem. I absolutely loved the first 2 seasons/story arcs, which were taken directly from the manga. However, the 3rd season was all just a bunch of fillers, and despite my disappointment that they did not animate the final arc of the manga, I would have at least been happy enough with the series if it just consisted of the first 2 seasons, but then they had to add in that 3rd season, and while I think that some of the episodes which it had were good, I found most of them to be boring, and seriously lacking in the quality of the episodes from the first 2 seasons. So, therefore, unfortunately, neither the TV series, nor the OVAs, can be in my top 10 anime list, since they had disappointing endings for me.

    The manga, on the other hand, was near perfect, IMO, and its easily in my top 3 favorite manga, and I also like it even more than any anime that I have ever watched. Its at a tie with the other 2 series in my top 10 manga list, which are Death Note, and Battle Royale (I know that you dislike Death Note, and I'm not sure whether you'd like Battle Royale or not, but the novel is definitely worth reading, IMO).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of soundmonkey44

    soundmonkey44

    [29]Jul 1, 2008
    • member since: 06/23/08
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 385
    i don't get why people would make two versions of the same series, frankly I like ruroni Kenshin better becuase it has a happy ending (The manga does anyway) I don't care much for samuri x becuase the ending to the ova series stinks, so im gonna say kenshin is better the X but thats just my openion.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of John666666666

    John666666666

    [30]Jul 3, 2008
    • member since: 09/23/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 171
    soundmonkey44 wrote:
    i don't get why people would make two versions of the same series, frankly I like ruroni Kenshin better becuase it has a happy ending (The manga does anyway) I don't care much for samuri x becuase the ending to the ova series stinks, so im gonna say kenshin is better the X but thats just my openion.


    They aren't two different versions. They are all a continuation of the same story. Samurai X Trust/Betrayal takes place before the manga, the series takes place from the beginning of the manga until the beginning of the third arc, and Reflection wraps up the final volumes of the manga and goes a bit further. There aren't two different versions.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ensatsu-ken

    ensatsu-ken

    [31]Jul 7, 2008
    • member since: 10/24/06
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 6,686

    John666666666 wrote:
    soundmonkey44 wrote:
    i don't get why people would make two versions of the same series, frankly I like ruroni Kenshin better becuase it has a happy ending (The manga does anyway) I don't care much for samuri x becuase the ending to the ova series stinks, so im gonna say kenshin is better the X but thats just my openion.

    They aren't two different versions. They are all a continuation of the same story. Samurai X Trust/Betrayal takes place before the manga, the series takes place from the beginning of the manga until the beginning of the third arc, and Reflection wraps up the final volumes of the manga and goes a bit further. There aren't two different versions.

    Actually, Trust/Betrayal is based off of the flashback portion of the manga, and it changes a few things around, by adding some stuff that wasn't in the manga version, and cutting out some stuff that was in the manga version. Also, as far as I'm concerned, I personally see Reflection as non-canon, for the most part, because it wasn't even written by Nobuhiro Watsuki. And, as I said earlier, the characters just don't fit in with their respective personalities. I mean, Kenshin from the manga would never be the type of guy to just completely abandon his sun, even if he felt guilty for the horrible things that he had done in his past. And Kaoru isn't the type of woman who would constantly just be whining about Kenshin being gone (well, she was like that in the Kyoto arc, but she changed, for the better, after that arc).

    Oh, and the proof that Reflection doesn't correspond with the manga's story line, are in the bonus chapters, Yahiko no Sakabato and the other one which I can't quite remember the name of right now (it was in full color, and it had the word Sakura in it). Anyways, according to the OVAs, Kenshin left to continue being a wanderer, a few years after Kenji was born. Also, his scar hadn't faded at all. But, in the end of the manga, his scar had mostly faded. And, in the chapter Yahiko no Sakabato, which takes place about a few months to a year, after the end of the manga, he is still living with Kaoru and his son, Kenji. And in the other chapter, which takes place about a year after that, he is still living with his wife and son, is happy, and hasn't even shown any signs of guilt, or wanting to leave to become a wanderer again. So, seeing as how that was all written by Watsuki, and the Reflection OVA wasn't, and seeing as how they don't completely coincide with one another, I would think of Reflection as an alternate version of Rurouni Kenshin.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of John666666666

    John666666666

    [32]Jul 10, 2008
    • member since: 09/23/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 171
    ensatsu-ken wrote:

    John666666666 wrote:
    soundmonkey44 wrote:
    i don't get why people would make two versions of the same series, frankly I like ruroni Kenshin better becuase it has a happy ending (The manga does anyway) I don't care much for samuri x becuase the ending to the ova series stinks, so im gonna say kenshin is better the X but thats just my openion.

    They aren't two different versions. They are all a continuation of the same story. Samurai X Trust/Betrayal takes place before the manga, the series takes place from the beginning of the manga until the beginning of the third arc, and Reflection wraps up the final volumes of the manga and goes a bit further. There aren't two different versions.

    Actually, Trust/Betrayal is based off of the flashback portion of the manga, and it changes a few things around, by adding some stuff that wasn't in the manga version, and cutting out some stuff that was in the manga version. Also, as far as I'm concerned, I personally see Reflection as non-canon, for the most part, because it wasn't even written by Nobuhiro Watsuki. And, as I said earlier, the characters just don't fit in with their respective personalities. I mean, Kenshin from the manga would never be the type of guy to just completely abandon his sun, even if he felt guilty for the horrible things that he had done in his past. And Kaoru isn't the type of woman who would constantly just be whining about Kenshin being gone (well, she was like that in the Kyoto arc, but she changed, for the better, after that arc).

    Oh, and the proof that Reflection doesn't correspond with the manga's story line, are in the bonus chapters, Yahiko no Sakabato and the other one which I can't quite remember the name of right now (it was in full color, and it had the word Sakura in it). Anyways, according to the OVAs, Kenshin left to continue being a wanderer, a few years after Kenji was born. Also, his scar hadn't faded at all. But, in the end of the manga, his scar had mostly faded. And, in the chapter Yahiko no Sakabato, which takes place about a few months to a year, after the end of the manga, he is still living with Kaoru and his son, Kenji. And in the other chapter, which takes place about a year after that, he is still living with his wife and son, is happy, and hasn't even shown any signs of guilt, or wanting to leave to become a wanderer again. So, seeing as how that was all written by Watsuki, and the Reflection OVA wasn't, and seeing as how they don't completely coincide with one another, I would think of Reflection as an alternate version of Rurouni Kenshin.

    OH NO! Nobuhiro Watsuki didn't have any part in REFLECTION, it's the end of the world, come on. It has the same voice actors, the same director, the animation was done by the same company Studio Deen, I could go on, but won't. It's not a alternate version, it,s continuation. It coincides with the manga and goes further to tell the full story of Kenshin. Also what anime were you watching. Kaoru wasn't whining. I didn't see her once whine. She was enduring and dying for the man she loves. I think Kenshin would leave behind his son if it was for a greater cause, and that's what he was doing. I also like see how the main characters ended up years after the end of the manga. I really like Sanosuke and and what he was doing. It also showed the last few voloumes of the manga, sure they cut out some of the plot lines and characters, but it was still there. Also I don't think everyone of the Japanese voice actors, and all the rest from the OVA, and TV series would have done it, if the didn't approve of the story. You really should pick up the DVD with the cast interviews, they really are good. Also watch it again.
    Edited on 07/10/2008 7:02pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of crzza

    crzza

    [33]Jul 11, 2008
    • member since: 05/28/07
    • level: 49
    • rank: Snufflupugus
    • posts: 12,122
    I like both of them but I like Kenshin more.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ensatsu-ken

    ensatsu-ken

    [34]Aug 20, 2008
    • member since: 10/24/06
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 6,686

    John666666666 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:

    John666666666 wrote:
    soundmonkey44 wrote:
    i don't get why people would make two versions of the same series, frankly I like ruroni Kenshin better becuase it has a happy ending (The manga does anyway) I don't care much for samuri x becuase the ending to the ova series stinks, so im gonna say kenshin is better the X but thats just my openion.

    They aren't two different versions. They are all a continuation of the same story. Samurai X Trust/Betrayal takes place before the manga, the series takes place from the beginning of the manga until the beginning of the third arc, and Reflection wraps up the final volumes of the manga and goes a bit further. There aren't two different versions.

    Actually, Trust/Betrayal is based off of the flashback portion of the manga, and it changes a few things around, by adding some stuff that wasn't in the manga version, and cutting out some stuff that was in the manga version. Also, as far as I'm concerned, I personally see Reflection as non-canon, for the most part, because it wasn't even written by Nobuhiro Watsuki. And, as I said earlier, the characters just don't fit in with their respective personalities. I mean, Kenshin from the manga would never be the type of guy to just completely abandon his sun, even if he felt guilty for the horrible things that he had done in his past. And Kaoru isn't the type of woman who would constantly just be whining about Kenshin being gone (well, she was like that in the Kyoto arc, but she changed, for the better, after that arc).

    Oh, and the proof that Reflection doesn't correspond with the manga's story line, are in the bonus chapters, Yahiko no Sakabato and the other one which I can't quite remember the name of right now (it was in full color, and it had the word Sakura in it). Anyways, according to the OVAs, Kenshin left to continue being a wanderer, a few years after Kenji was born. Also, his scar hadn't faded at all. But, in the end of the manga, his scar had mostly faded. And, in the chapter Yahiko no Sakabato, which takes place about a few months to a year, after the end of the manga, he is still living with Kaoru and his son, Kenji. And in the other chapter, which takes place about a year after that, he is still living with his wife and son, is happy, and hasn't even shown any signs of guilt, or wanting to leave to become a wanderer again. So, seeing as how that was all written by Watsuki, and the Reflection OVA wasn't, and seeing as how they don't completely coincide with one another, I would think of Reflection as an alternate version of Rurouni Kenshin.

    OH NO! Nobuhiro Watsuki didn't have any part in REFLECTION, it's the end of the world, come on. It has the same voice actors, the same director, the animation was done by the same company Studio Deen, I could go on, but won't. It's not a alternate version, it,s continuation. It coincides with the manga and goes further to tell the full story of Kenshin. Also what anime were you watching. Kaoru wasn't whining. I didn't see her once whine. She was enduring and dying for the man she loves. I think Kenshin would leave behind his son if it was for a greater cause, and that's what he was doing. I also like see how the main characters ended up years after the end of the manga. I really like Sanosuke and and what he was doing. It also showed the last few voloumes of the manga, sure they cut out some of the plot lines and characters, but it was still there. Also I don't think everyone of the Japanese voice actors, and all the rest from the OVA, and TV series would have done it, if the didn't approve of the story. You really should pick up the DVD with the cast interviews, they really are good. Also watch it again.

    No, it takes no genius to see how horribly out of place the characters are. Who gives a sh!t if it has the same voice actors and animation studio. That doesn't meant that its a continuation of the story. That's like saying that the 3rd season of the TV series was canon, and please don't try and tell me that you actually consider sh!t like that to really be part of Kenshin's story.

    Ummm....The voice actors and directors don't have to approve of it, they got paid to do it. And its obvious that the director didn't care too much about the series after the 2nd season, if you look at the horrible job he did with fillers. Also, have you ever seen an anime called Get Backers. Its done by the same exact director, and anyone can tell from that show, that he the director really doesn't care too much about what he's doing. He did nothing with that show to make it anything above mediocre (and sometimes it was just plain awful).

    And I have to ask you the same question. Were you really watching the final OVA(s). You do realize that whining doesn't necessarily mean shedding tears, right? First of all, it was completely stupid for Kenshin to give his disease to Kaoru, even if she wanted to share his pain. You must not understand Kenshin's character too well, if you honestly think that he would agree to do that. That was just a stupid plot element, and the writers even admitted that they don't even know how Kenshin got the disease. They just randomly gave him one.

    I also don't mind that he died at the end, but read the manga again, and you'd see that its definitely not in Kenshin's character to completely abandon his son. Sure, he might leave from time to time, in order to help others, but when you say the greater good, that's like saying that Kenshin's trying to change the world, and even he knows that he can't do that. If he was really trying to do that, then he would have established that as a clear goal, but instead, he chose to become a wanderer, and help the innocent out, to atone for his sins of the past, as he came by those in need.

    I've seen it twice, already, and that's really all I can take of it. If you like it, that's fine, because its your opinion. But, in my opinion, Reflection was just trash.

    Why do you think that Nobuhiro Watsuki avoids sharing his thoughts on the Reflection OVA? You may not care, but its common knowledge that the original author of the work has the final say of which parts of it are canon or not. In this case, he didn't say anything, and he chose to let the fans decide, but if he really wanted Kenshin to end that way, he would have done so, but he actually said in an interview that he could not end Kenshin that way. Some other writers just decided to do that, and if you like what they did, and accept that as the true ending, then that's fine, but for me, its really not so much a matter of whether I liked the way that the ended it or not. In fact, you missed the whole point of why I said I disliked Reflection. Putting aside whether its canon or not, it felt like I was watching a damn soap-opera, not Rurouni Kenshin, and Reflection was just plain boring to watch. It had nothing in it to keep me interested, bad pacing, and no real creativity to it. I don't see how I could ever find it to be some brilliant work.

    In my personal opinion, the Trust and Betrayal OVA's were good enough. Reflection wasn't necessary at all.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CappinHoff

    CappinHoff

    [35]Apr 19, 2011
    • member since: 07/18/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 34
    Samurai X when referring to the TV episodes is exactly the same as Rurouni Kenshin.

    Samurai X name was used mainly for the OVA's because they were unable to license the name Runouni Kenshin, but were able to use the characters and story lines.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.