Samurai X Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2003)

Who else hates the fact that...

Darkknight313

[1]Nov 30, 2007
    • level: 28
    ...Kenshin is voiced by a woman in the original Japanese version it sounds awful he sounds like a woman and nothing like a man I just can't stand watching the Japanese version so who else hates the fact that Kenshin is voiced by a woman in the original Japanese version.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

8thimpact

[2]Dec 3, 2007
    • level: 4

yeah....i caught onto that its annoying i couldnt watch tha jap version for more than 10 minutes i also hate people who hate english translations and stick with subtitles all the time i (no disrespect to the japanese language) i mean if im gonna watch an anime i would want to know what their saying only in movies do i read subtitles not anime i wanna focus on the events not text except i would tolerate watching the new evangelion remake rebuild of evangelion in japanese because its taking too long for an english version to be made so i'd watch that in japanese with sub

Edited on 12/03/2007 5:19pm

titiembe

[3]Dec 22, 2007
    • level: 44
    I don't find it annoying. It shows serious contrast between how Kenshin was before as a manslayer, than how he is trying to be now in the Meiji era... but people have their different opinions.
    Edited on 12/23/2007 4:10pm

magneticssamuri

[4]Dec 22, 2007
    • level: 4
    i thought it was actually funny if i couldnt find an episode in english then had to go wath the sub version wierd contrast

hellsingchick01

[5]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 1
    Does anyone know why a woman played as Kenshin in the Japanese version? that was kida weird and it made me mad!

Darkknight313

[6]May 2, 2008
    • level: 28
    hellsingchick01 wrote:
    Does anyone know why a woman played as Kenshin in the Japanese version? that was kida weird and it made me mad!
    Maybe to fill his pure hearted nature thats why Goku off of all of the Dragonball series is voiced by a woman.

Bladex2k

[7]May 4, 2008
    • level: 6

it doesnt bother me much. have no idea why they had a women do his voice but i prefer english dubs anyways

windseeker15

[8]May 19, 2008
    • level: 9
    Its not unusual to do that in Japan. No reason to get mad over it - get mad over something worthwhile like the theme song "Freckles"

I watch the dub anyway.

farraliz

[9]May 27, 2008
    • level: 6
    I like the all the opening and ending themes...I AM SO MAD the DVDs I bought they inserted only 2 OP and 2 ED themes. Apart from that, the main menu titles all mixed up and it's ugleehhh. And so I decided to download whole series myself starting 2 days ago (and even considering throwing away the newly bought)...I've always heard the Eng version in television few years ago. And when I heard in Jap version, hmmm I think I prefer Eng better especially when there are tense encounters. But I also like "Oro" haha.

If I'm not mistaken, Kenshin is 26 years old. Then Eng suits better.

Animanga100

[10]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 11
    I hate dubbs, I only like subs, because I have a thing for watch shows it their orighinal launguage.

ensatsu-ken

[11]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 19

Animanga100 wrote:
    I hate dubbs, I only like subs, because I have a thing for watch shows it their orighinal launguage.

Judging by your spelling and overall grammar, I think I can see why you don't like watching things in English. You must despise this language if you won't even bother to try and spell too many of its words correctly .

But seriously, how many dubs have you seen ?Are you just saying that subs are better mainly because many other anime fans say it, or have you truly taken the time to compare the dubs of many different series, to their sub counterparts, to know that you don't like dubs for anime, overall? Because the dub for Kenshin is easily superior to its sub, IMO, and that's not to say that I find its sub to be bad, but the English voices fit many of the characters so well (with a few exceptions of some voices that sound off).

I mean, for example, when Kenshin is serious and yells, or talks with a ferocious stare and has anger in his voice, it sounds so remarkable in English. But, in the sub, it just sounds plain silly sometimes, to be honest. Now, I have seen plenty of anime where I prefer the sub over the dub myself, but unlike those common dub haters who really annoy me by just blindly saying that subs for anime are always superior to dubs, I will actually analyze and compare the 2, for each and ever single show, to see which I like better, rather than saying that one is better as a whole, by making pure assumptions and generalizations.

animecraze95

[12]Jun 21, 2008
    • level: 3
    u didnt know that alot of the anime guys are voiced by girls?? wel it wouldnt bother me much but iv never seen the jap version

gyspysimbalarae

[13]Jun 22, 2008
    hellsingchick01 wrote:

It was supposed to make him more like a woman, more gentle and such, not to mention his womanish appearance and voice makes his enemies underestimate him, at least that's the reasoning I've heard from several people.

DOMOJITA

[14]Jun 22, 2008
    • level: 18
    uuum ok but we have boy characters who are voice by girls nacy cartwright voice of bart simpson,laura voice of shin-chan and so on why duse this bug everyone and not the fact that animated boy on tv are voice by girls here in america huh???

blackmagechris1

[15]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 12
    DOMOJITA wrote:
    uuum ok but we have boy characters who are voice by girls nacy cartwright voice of bart simpson,laura voice of shin-chan and so on why duse this bug everyone and not the fact that animated boy on tv are voice by girls here in america huh???
    those are kids not grown men like Kenshin. Can you see a 28-year old man with a voice like that. I can understand if a crossdresser has a female VA but Kenshin seriously looks male to me at first glance.

crzza

[16]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 49
    It bugs me, but I wouldn't say I "hate" it.

Evolution_666

[17]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 14
    It really does'nt bother that much me alot of male characters have female voices in anime.
    Edited on 07/21/2008 6:27pm

justsomekid290

[18]Aug 6, 2008

i Will have to agree with dark knight i just hate that the voice of him sounds like a women

scarredsword

[19]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 2
    I loved Mayo Suzukaze in Tsuiokuhen. She did a great job as Battousai. But as the Rurouni in RK, her voice was too high pitched and girly. Kenshin comes off as a total dweeb!

TwilightAniMe

[20]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 5

I personally prefer his voice in English becuse he's a boy and to me it just fits better, but I don't "hate" that in the Japanese version his voice is voiced by a girl. He looks like a boy to me, all anime boys look like boys to me, It never even occured to me that he was supposed to look sort of like a girl until something I read in the manga suggested it.

I like dubbed versions because I like to be able to watch the show and when there are subtitles sometimes they are distracting to me. However that's just me. They're not always distracting but sometimes I feel like I miss stuff when there are subtitles.

Anyway I love Rurouni Kenshin.