Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry

Friday 12:00 AM on HBO Premiered Dec 01, 2001 In Season

Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry Fan Reviews (2)

7.2
  • Russell Simmons has created a wonderful show that has quickly become one of my personal favorites.

I am a huge fan of spoken word/poetry and I am glad there is a televised program that show cases all of the talented lyricists that are out there. Since I am a busy college student, there are not a lot of chances for me to get out to the clubs that feature poets, and this show is a great substitute. A few of the Def poets have come to perform at the Univeristy that I attend and they were great.
  • Lost Gem

7.9
    I have been watching this show since Season 1, thankfully it has made it to Season 5. I am thankfull that HBO has kept this show on the air for this long as judging from the activity on this site for this show, makes me think that not enough people appreciate it.

I think it is one of the better shows out there, when people hear Poetry, they think sissy beatnick stuff, but when I get my friends to watch the show, they are amazed at how some of the poets can move them, it is really quite intense at times. Sure there are some people that shouldn't really be up there, or maybe I just don't get where they are coming from, but that is the beauty of the show, it is inspiring, and everyone may get something different out of it.

I hope it has many more years left.