Ryan's Hope

ABC (ended 1989)

Sherasbear

Ryan's Hope Fan Reviews (5)

7.4
  • Set In New York City, this down-to-earth half-hour soap revolved around the Ryans, an Irish-Catholic family who ran a tavern.

What I loved most about RH was it's down-to-earth realisitic approach in it's story telling. This to me, was when this soap was at it's best. Unfortunately, such stories don't always pull in high ratings, and whenever ABC pressured the writers to come up with outlandish storylines to compete with other faster paced soaps, the show became something it simply wasn't, and it lost credibility and viewers. When it was good it was very good and when it was bad it was very bad. Kidnapped by a gorilla?!! A great soap when not also plagued by multiple recasts and a revolving door of headwriters. The acting and talent infront and behind the camera was always obvious though and I tend to try to focus on the good times/storylines more than the bad. Who could ever forget the final episode, when Helen Gallagher (Maeve Ryan) sang her heartwrenching rendition of "Danny Boy"? I get tears in my eyes just thinking about that final scene...