Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat

PBS (ended 2006)

Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat Fan Reviews (17)

• Fun, well-animated and drawn, great colors, details, plots...get the picture?

Another show I grew up on and will never give up! Sagwa and her family and friends teach valuable lessons (caring, sharing, confessing, dealing with situations as a family, as friends, and as individuals) and the show itself is fun in the sense that the graphics (design, drawing, colors, animation) are so well-done. Much of it showcases very traditional-looking scenes, and yet, I'm not sure how normal talking cats were in China. Still, each character, be they a bat, cat, dog, bird, or even a fish, came with traits we can relate to, personalities most of us can see as realistic, and flaws that are cause for learning from mistakes and, well, giving the episodes conflict and making the show interesting!

While the show deals primarily with Sagwa and her family and their problems working together, some of the episodes center a little on the tough alley cats and Sagwa's standing up to them when she knows they're doing something wrong. Some of the alley cats come off as bullies, and the show teaches that bullies *can* be stopped - you may need help, but it can be done. Sagwa's brother and sister have trouble writing, which most kids of the targer age should be able to relate to, and Sagwa sometimes feels like she has no real talents - such as Dongwa's kung-fu or Sheegwa's somersaulting abilities.

I definitely recommend this show as worth watching. It promoted, to me, a love of drawing, animals, and best of all, entertainment.
  • Total Under-rated

Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat has got to be the most under-rated show on PBS Sprout. The animation is dreadful, The Voice-Acting is horrible & The plots are... well you get the idea.

it not even off the air & Sagwa who courious gets into trouble & dose not help her brother Dongwa at all, Sagwa is just another lame excause for a show the people "think" has been taken off just like CatDog, Chalkzone, Martin Mystery, Shurkien School, Baby looney Tunes etc., Geez I hope one of these days all these shows will be taken off.

(well they should, beacause there setting bad example to the childern)
  • Funny, intelligent, and gentle.

When I first spotted Sagwa on PBS Kids oh so many years ago, I immediately developed the presence of mind to record it to tape. I somehow sensed that the show would grow to become a surefire winner. I wasn't disappointed. Sagwa seemed to possess the right combination of spirit, beauty, and intelligence without compromising its educational qualities. Unlike other kiddie toons like Caillou, which seem to unfold with a picture book quality, Sagwa seemed to have a certain warm and enchanting aura about it. Instead of little itty bitty lessons, Sagwa uses the characters to craft charming tales, through which is woven much grander educational content like family and respect for elders. One particularly memorable episode involves Dongwa, the oldest and the only male kitten, being determined old enough to participate in a coming-of-age ceremony. The show also seems to possess an awareness of Chinese culture and language. I think this is to be commended. The show is also very very gentle. There is absolutely nothing about the show that parents need to worry about. But make no mistake, the animation is beautiful to look at and the characters are funny. A great show in my book.
  • I wish they didn't end Sagwa, I would still watch it even now.

Sawga, The Chinese Cat was one of my favorite shows when I was growing up, sadly it only came on at noon. And I could never watch much. I got interested in the show because I loved the book it was based off of. The animation was cute, if it is as I remember it. The plots weren't that good, but when your alittle kid does it really matter? You don't understand whats going on anyways. My favorite part, since I was always into chinese and japanese culture, was how they taught you a symbol at the end of every episode. So even if the plot isn't great, the viewers will always learn something new about culture. Thus making it great even for the older kids, or even adults.
    Sawga was the best kid show ever for me, in that age group.
  • Why is this on hiatus and Caillou isn't?

This is a show that I would've loved when I was a kid and I find it pretty cool now. Unlike most modern kiddie shows, this one's actually pretty good. It isn't just something that you plop your kid in front of to keep them occupied while you go and surf the web. This is a show that older kids and adults can actually enjoy. Unfortunately, there is nothing but reruns even though it is a whole lot better than some of the other crap that is classified as educational. I really wish that they would put it back on and take some of the other shows off.
  • I loved watching this show when I was little. :) It was one of my favorites. I can't believe it's on hiatus. :(

I loved watching this show when I was little. :) It was one of my favorites. I can't believe it's on hiatus. :( I haven't seen this show in...probably over a year or more (XD) so it's needless to say that I've forgotten a lot of the little details, but I remember that I loved it, and I remember some of the general things about it too. (From what I remember) the animation was actually decent. The characters were cool. 8) :P I remember the physical features of Sagwa, Dongwa, and Sheegwa, (and sorta the ones of their parents.) So...that's about all I can remember right now. XD But it was still a good show. 8) :)

This show is nothing more than a Cat who so curious & she make people barf. Animation is horrible. The Plots are mine-less & the Voice-Acting Make me want to wish I've was never born. yes bouseing network to network this garbage just keeps comming back where ever it gose.
  • Great fun! I hope they come out with more episodes!

This show is so much fun everytime I watch it. It's about a cat named Sagwa who is always getting into trouble and having adventures. With her brother, Dongwa, and her sister, Sheegwa, and lots of other characters, the fun never ends! I hope they come out with more episodes soon! This show is really great!
  • Ugly, just Ugly

This entire series is nothing more a a complete and utter waste of time and resources. The series is about a Cat who tires to help many people but ends-ups getting in trouble. The crapimation is so bad, words cannot even begin to descrip it. Furthermore, it is completely and utterly pointless. The plots make no sense, the voice acting makes me think of me crying when Kirby: Right Back at Ya! is canned, and the animation makes me want to throw up. Avoid this at all cost!
  • Share some fun with Sagwa, Dongwa, Sheegwa, and their family and friends in 19th century China.

Sagwa is an adorable Siamese Cat, and she has lots of adventures with her brother Dongwa, her baby sister Sheegwa, and her best friend FuFu who is a bat. They live with the kind Magistrate of their Chinese village and his family around the turn of the last century. They are in training to be scribes by practicing calligraphy, and are expected to be well behaved high society palace cats, but even palace cats like to get dirty and get into mischief sometimes. I’ve been watching this since the late ‘90s, and although a cartoon can never match up to the cuteness of a real live kitten (I love cats), it’s a really cute show. It’s also informational about Chinese culture and society, and I’ve also learned a Chinese word or two from watching it. It's cute, fun, and informational, I really like it! =)
  • Good Show

Very likeable accept for the people whom won't try to. Sagwa is an action-packed show for adventere-liking people. It was surprise to know how sagwa got her colors. I mean I wouldn't of thought that see accidently spilled ink all over herself. Also I liked the episode when the animals were in a race from some story told by sagwa's aunt. I never get tried of the episodes because their so intersesting to me. Altough I'm surprised also on lack of new episodes (like every other show). I like how sagwa makes tons of friends outside of the palace. I love this show a fair amount.
  • An adventurous childhood favorite.

Sagwa was one of my favorite shows to watch when I was younger. I'm glad that they brought it back on another channel. Sagwa goes on many adventures with her siblings and friends. She seems to get herself in trouble alot, along with Dongwa and Sheegwa. It's cute that they can write caligraphy with their tails, as their family has been able to do for generations. I like this show because the story concept is different from many other shows. It's very original and was created by Amy Tan, who is a favorite author of mine. The animation for this show is really good and I like alot of the characters. They're very interesting and have well-rounded personalities. I still watch this show when I get a chance to catch it. It's a childhood favorite.
  • This show is mildly interesting. Read more...

This is a good show. It is not a stupid little kids cartoon. It is about cats that live in China in the emperor’s palace. It sticks with the Chinese ways of life and culture. The adventures are interesting and the girls are pretty. So are the flowers. The cats with their collars are beautiful. The drawing stile is good and the writer is Amy Tam one of the best Chinese writers. This thirty minute PBS cartoon is in lighting and has like I said before captivating story plots. The Real Chinese characters are a nice touch as well.0
  • Worst cartoon ever! it Rip-offs "Kirby: Right Back at Ya!" which is a better show

1.4
    This PBS show just took Kirby off 4kids forever I think that Sagwa showed be off the air I you think kirby sucks here a compare chart

Sagwa-Kirby
    Dongwa-Tiff
    Shegaw-Tuff
    Fu-Fu-Meda-Night

There's even Lupin the III Pariodies like The Cook is a rip-offs like the grafics, Animation, & The Cook spoofs Zenagate (Inspector) It Sucks unless I appove & this Kirby: Right Back at! spoof Sucked the 2 worst charaters are Tia Tia & Cook they suck & I realy think it suck!!!!!! it SUCKS it SUCKs it sucks alright it sucks period!
  • A good show from PBS.

This is truly a great show. I enjoy watching it over and over and over again. I can watch the same episode 2 or 3 times in a row just so I can catch things that I might have missed. I think I have all of the episodes recorded and I watch them whenever there is nothing good on TV. It is always entertaining to me. I will also have my friends and family watch the episodes with me and try and get them hooked. So far everyone has because it is that good of a show. Look for it on the air or come over to my house and watch my DVD's.
  • Loved it.

Sagwa is another of PBS Kids's Bests. What's not to love about this show? The show is about a cat named Sagwa who goes on adventures with her family & friends. I wonder if they'll make new episodes. I highly doubt they will. But if they do, i'll be ready. Bring this show back.
  • A Siamese cat born on the year of the dog, based on the book by Amy Tan. And production for the show is apparently frozen. Why?

Well, When I first heard of Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat at a yahoo group I was in, I didn't think much of it. However, 4 months after that, it appeared on Disney Channel Asia - which is highly unusual, since these shows usually don't make it over that fast. I took a sample and was immidiately hooked. I especially liked Sheegwa - she's cute, and is voiced by Jesse Vinet, who does the voice of Caillou's sister Rosie. I like Rosie. Furthermore, the rest of the cast seems to come from shows I like, particularly Arthur and Caillou. I became hooked on it fast. It didn't help, however, that I could not find the toys in any stores at all in Malaysia, and most internet toystores refused to ship to Malaysia (however, Singapore is okay. I find this stupid, since Singapore is like only 300KM of where I live and was once actually part of Malaysia. And I even have relatives in Singapore. Getting the store to send the toys down to Singapore then having my relatives relay the toys up from Singapore, tho, is pretty much a no-go for me as my relatives have young children living with them). In any case, currently it is still airing on Playhouse Disney Channel Asia, but the toys are getting scarce, if available at all. I even failed to secure a plush Sheegwa (no thanks to that online store who would ship to Singapore but not Malaysia). There's nothing about new seasons on Sesame Workshop's website either. This totally sucks.

In closing, Sesame Workshop, if you're reading this, please bring back Sagwa, and restart production on the toys. I can't find any info on the toys anymore anywhere, and am getting really frustrated with that.