Sailor Moon Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2000)

Am I the only one who actually liked the dub?

EdwardoMario16

[1]Jun 27, 2007
    • level: 10

Sure, they edited out the blood and guts, the death, the homosexuality, the butch factor, the lesbian-ness, and changed the gender of some of the characters *coughZeocitecough*. But am I the only one who didn't mind it? For a dub, it was actually pretty good and I...liked it....

*Waits to be stabbed to death by anime purists*

Edited on 06/27/2007 6:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RICEA42991

[2]Jun 27, 2007
    • level: 6
    Nope you aren't I actually like the voices and names too I find Serena's voice actually worked good in making her annoying which was what they needed to do,and for the cuts well some of them I liked what they cut since I have littlesisters in my house not to mention I don't mind seeing something descent these days lol but I find that some stuff they cut out were to much as for the bofy lines when transforming well W.I.T.C.H. (not critizing the show I love that show too) it was rated G and they showed the body lines when transforming and it was also done by Disney . My guess they should of dubbed it like taking out only the homo/lez thing and cursing other then that the change of names was good by the other things I found extra but still I love the dub other then that and sometimes watch it over the original (thus in my language lol)

benb15

[3]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 20
    Well I did first see it through the English dub so I should at least give it some credit

frogsinmywine

[4]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 3
    The DiC dub is pretty cute. If you do NOT compare to the Japanese version, it's pretty good on its own. I plan to watch all of it sometime, after I get done with the Japanese version, because I only saw four episodes of the dub. :/

glamorgurl

[5]Jun 30, 2007
    • level: 1
    I watch the dub all the time most of the editing isn't that bad

benb15

[6]Jul 1, 2007
    I admit to watching the English dub on YT

mz2005

[7]Jul 3, 2007
    Love the dub. Don't like the original.

dookiecookie

[8]Jul 9, 2007
    • level: 14
    I perfer the dub

Angelic_Anime

[9]Jul 9, 2007
    • level: 26
    I enjoyed the dub. I've never seen the original version, so I don't really know how different they are.
    I did hear about the edited homosexuality.
    The only things that bothered me is the gender changes, Uranus and Neptune (I forgot their names) being called cousins and the name changes.
    Other than that, I don't mind the dub. If I saw the subbed version, I may change my mind, but for now, it's fine.

EdwardoMario16

[10]Jul 9, 2007
    • level: 10
    Just imagine the whole biz with Zoicite like this: DiC took Zoicite's homosexuality to another level...this time giving him a feminine voice to add-up to his gayness in the dub. There, no more outrage. Uranus and Neptune...now that was just a big F-up right there. They should've just called them really, REALLY close bestest friends if the term "lesbian" was so buggy. Homosexuality was rather a taboo in television back in the 90's. Like it or not.

Give DiC and Cloverway credit, they tried their hardest to get this show acceptible into politically correct, highly-sensitive U.S of America in an era where Adult Swim did not exist. Now we have loads of Sailor Moon DVD's to watch in all versions, anytime we want. Sub or Dub.

benb15

[11]Jul 10, 2007
    you do have a point

MonkeyAngel341

[12]Jul 10, 2007
    • level: 1

I liked the dubbed much better than the japanese version. Sure they left out some violent part and some parts that weren't really violent at all but I really liked it better than the japanese version I also always watch the dubbed version

Edited on 07/10/2007 6:39pm

RICEA42991

[13]Jul 11, 2007
    EdwardoMario16 wrote:
    Just imagine the whole biz with Zoicite like this: DiC took Zoicite's homosexuality to another level...this time giving him a feminine voice to add-up to his gayness in the dub. There, no more outrage. Uranus and Neptune...now that was just a big F-up right there. They should've just called them really, REALLY close bestest friends if the term "lesbian" was so buggy. Homosexuality was rather a taboo in television back in the 90's. Like it or not. Give DiC and Cloverway credit, they tried their hardest to get this show acceptible into politically correct, highly-sensitive U.S of America in an era where Adult Swim did not exist. Now we have loads of Sailor Moon DVD's to watch in all versions, anytime we want. Sub or Dub.
    None of this would of happened if one thing they didn't change people say the dub changed alot well so did the original Japanese anime hello if they would of followed the manga a little closer in the first season they wouldn't have to do all this Zoisite and Kunzite's realtionship in the manga was only a teacher/student thing Kunzite(Malachite) clearly insulted Zoisite once for doing soemthing wrong if the anime would of followed that then that wouldn't of lead poor Zoisite be turned to a woman That's not the only thing the japanese anime left out All in all I love the anime because hello its on tv not in a book but the plot I so love the manga one better

keensweetheart

[14]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 11
    no your not the only one. I love anima I really do. Sailor Moon was the first anima that i really sat down and watch when i was 4. But i had to stop watching it when i was 5 because i was in the afternoon kindergarden group but thats beside the point. I grew up on the dubbed version. The only time I have seen a Japanese version is on YouTube. So I say Hurry for the dubbed Anima

Paz1o1

[15]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 3
    when i waz like 5 or 6 i liked the dub one but now i am 13 i h8t it lol it juat odd in my poin of view but i dnot mind the dub themelol but thats about it lol

TVObsessee

[16]Jul 30, 2007
    There is a reason people like the Dubbed version.

IT'S SO DARN FUNNY!!!!!!!!!! You can't help laughing andd feeling like it's totally ridiculous. I mean, have you heard those "battle cries"? I'm sorry, lacking a better word. It gives a new meaning to hillarious. It manages to make InuYasha side-cracking-hillarious, so it must have something to do with the dubbing. I've seen Subbed episodes of some stuff, and it just doesn't have the ridiculous charm that the Dubbed version has.

RICEA42991

[17]Jul 30, 2007

Kinker that

benb15

[18]Jul 31, 2007
    Brother you speak the truth!

Artistia

[19]Jul 31, 2007
    • level: 12

I like the dubbed version. if they tried to dub the Stars season that would be weird but for the rest of it, the dub was very good

smg_rocks

[20]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 5

TVObsessee wrote:
    There is a reason people like the Dubbed version. IT'S SO DARN FUNNY!!!!!!!!!! You can't help laughing andd feeling like it's totally ridiculous. I mean, have you heard those "battle cries"? I'm sorry, lacking a better word. It gives a new meaning to hillarious. It manages to make InuYasha side-cracking-hillarious, so it must have something to do with the dubbing. I've seen Subbed episodes of some stuff, and it just doesn't have the ridiculous charm that the Dubbed version has.

i agree they are funny, i watch the dubbed version, i don't like watching the subbed ones cuz they aren't as funny.