Sailor Moon Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2000)

If 4kids got this?

PPG-Katelyn

[21]Jul 13, 2007
    • level: 16
    I think DIC is alot smarter then 4Kids! They are alot smarter with picking out voices! I've never known DIC to have any emotionless voices like Jason Griffith. Jaleel White made Sonic sound like he's supposed to be which is a high buzzy voice. He's always sounded like that in everything up until 4Kids had Jason Griffith voice him. He gives Sonic a deeper voice then he's ever had and he always talks like he's being sarcastic. DIC even knew that Tails should be voiced by an actual little boy instead of a female that makes him sound girly. If DIC would have dubbed 'Sonic X' instead of 4Kids, they would have hadCream rather voiced by an actual little girl or someone who is good at little girl voices like Tara Strong instead of someone who makes her litteraly soundlike fingernails on a chalkboard. DIC really cares about children learning but 4Kids doesn't! In episode 1, Sonic said "Kids, don't stand on moving cars!" but 4Kids changed it to "Kids, don't use formula racecars to chase hedgehogs!". I think they did that to make it funny but I think kids being warned not to imitate tv stunts is more important then some cheap joke. 4Kids alsoblankout everything thatappearswith text on it (aside from the logo to the show andthe credits)because Al Kahn doesn't want to allow kids to read.DIC made Sonic really funny! It was funny how he liked to tease Robotnik and stuff! 4Kids did seem to try to make Sonic that way too but they didn't do as well. They made Sonic say a bunch of bad puns and stuff like in one episode, he was using a power ring and he said"How about I give you a ring some time!". They also made Robotnik/Eggman sillier then he was in 'Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog' aswell. He too is always saying bad puns and stuff!They go overboard with puns in 'Sonic X' and 'One Piece' so theyhavetoomany bad puns and it makes them cheesy.DIC at least made an English version of the Sailor Moon theme but 4Kids never makes english versions of openings. Infact, I read that they where actually going to make the opening to 'One Piece' the same as in Japanese only in English but Al Kahn decided not to because he thought kids would like a rap theme better. 4Kids don't allow romance! They don't allow deaths! They get rid of anything that they think is inapropiat for kids, even if it's a little thing because they are way too over protective but there have stillbeen some things thatpassed their noseslike in an episode of 'Sonic X', one of the charactors had a nose bleed and they didn't seem to notice it so it got left in. One more thing I need to mention about 4Kids! They always change any Japanese names to US names (exept in 'One Piece' aside from changing Zoro's name to Zolo) to make it more American and they want to make it so American that they want kids to forget that it's even from Japan. They even change all the Japanese food in 'One Piece'into US food like rice balls being changed to cookies.
    Edited on 07/13/2007 2:29am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BTRAV

[22]Jul 13, 2007
    • level: 27
    "One Piece of Crap"
    "4Kids: Where Bad Puns Go To Die"
    "YouTube: Where Abridged Series Get Killed Off"

benb15

[23]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 20
    Anyone else wish to comment on the horrific happening that would occur if 4crap got it?

EdwardoMario16

[24]Nov 18, 2007
    • level: 10

In a nutshell...

-4Kids would turn Japanese food (Rice, Rice Cakes, Sushi) into stereotypical american food(Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Fries).

-Anything sad or violent in Sailor Moon is edited out completely. At least DiC kept a few character deaths, character strifes, some tragedies, and thrilling battles around.

-They would give Usagi an simple stereotypical American name like Heather or Ginger. Not anything magical or dynamic like Serena.

-All deadly weapons in SM are changed into less menacing weapons. Claws will be turned into rubber gloves, Swords will be changed into sticks...

-Japanese money is changed into American Dollars.

-All Japanese signs are completely changed to English.

-Enlist their multitude of mediocre voice actors to turn the characters into superficial, kiddy stereotypes with no emotion whatsoever.

-Plague the show with Juvenile writing and corny "hip" lines to make the characters sound cool.

-Rap music in the intro.

What do you know? I appreciate the English Dub even more now.

Edited on 11/19/2007 7:03pm
    Edited 3 total times.

BTRAV

[25]Nov 19, 2007
    Al Kahn does seem to share Drakken's mentality on that one: "We'll change everything into a hot rap. That'll hook the kids!" Honestly, they weren't even allowed to finish Tokyo Mew Mew (which was almost called Hollywood Mew Mew then got changed to Mew Mew Power), which was bad enough. A 4Kids version of Sailor Moon would be...yuck. And Dic is supposedly one of 4Kids' top competitors.

StellaRocks

[26]Nov 19, 2007
    • level: 14
    ok first they did kinda hurt Winx but they did a great job with the voices and you guys would all way be mad till they get a perfet like the japan one. the dub. company do all they can to fit their rules if you are going to diss 4kids don't diss it by want else you see them dub. they can do a good job and sometime it is not all about what your opianing is ( i can not spell and big flash could care less)

BTRAV

[27]Nov 20, 2007
    It's not all bad, but they do tend to screw up in big ways.

TeamRose

[29]Nov 22, 2007
    • level: 5
    EdwardoMario16 wrote:

Come on! The DiC dub wasn't that bad! It wasn't perfect, but it's no way near as bad as 4Kids' complete blatant butchered abominations like One Piece. At least DiC retained the overall culture and emotional feeling of the show.

4Kids will take anything referencing japanese culture(songs, foods) or anything dangerous in animes (Guns, Swords, Axes...) and edit them out completely. That's how freaking bad they are.

Exactly what I was going to say.

kikyohater428

[30]Nov 24, 2007
    • level: 6

I just thought of something good.

1. The dark kingdom people would have an "N'' on their shirts (for Negaverse) and they would have their own mottos! *team negaverse anyone?*

2. All transformation scenes are cut. Can't let kids see anything that looks naked can we?

3. Beryl's dress would cover her entire body.

4. Zoisite is a girl, but Kunzite is "her" annoying older brother

5. All the girls' sailor soldiers outfits would be edited so they'd be longer

6. There is no fighting because "can't we all just get along?"

7. Every kiss scene is taken out

8. Some very important statements are changed into something completely off topic

9. 4kids would only show the first season

10. ...Valley girl Beryl and Zoisite holding conversations for 2 long minutes!!!

I'll think of more later ^^

dizneycrazy

[31]Feb 23, 2008
    • level: 10
    4kids has destroyed enough good things what more do u what them to do now destroy sailor moon nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

kjh1000

[32]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 13

Actually there is a company that is equal to 4kids. It's called Saban. It's horrible!

Here the version of Sailor Moon (Beware at own risk!) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Hge38AkFg

In that series their names are:

Serena name-Victoria

Luna- Princess

Amy-Maddie

Lita-Carrie {she is in a wheelchair }

Raye-May Lin

Mina-Amanda

It sickens me .

Edited on 02/26/2008 7:22pm

faerielights

[33]Mar 2, 2008
    kjh1000 wrote:

Actually there is a company that is equal to 4kids. It's called Saban. It's horrible!

Here the version of Sailor Moon (Beware at own risk!) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Hge38AkFg

In that series their names are:

Serena name-Victoria

Luna- Princess

Amy-Maddie

Lita-Carrie {she is in a wheelchair }

Raye-May Lin

Mina-Amanda

It sickens me .

Saban moon...lets thank any higher power that we can that this didn't happen. Lol...listen to the crowd behind them.... Gahh!! Now that peppy beat is stuck in my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5fIcQTWfjk&NR=1

Oh DIC......this is also pretty darn funny.

Edited on 03/02/2008 8:20pm

Yo-yo-mom

[34]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 3
    If 4kids got Sailor moon, Zoisite & Fisheye would still be male, but have there homosexuality sencored, thus rendering them into minor characters.

cathgil

[35]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 16

who knows what they do to haruka and michiru. first they put haruka more girly clothing. and if you thought them being cousins was bad they probuly make the sissters. compairing the dub to what 4kids would do makes the dub look good.

selena_cyrus16

[36]Jan 30, 2013

Jouai wrote:
    frogsinmywine wrote:
    ...and DiC didn't do that?
    Not as profoundly atrocious as 4Kids did/does for Winx Club, for example.

Agreed.