Sailor Moon Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2000)

Sailor Moon English or Japanese

xjeraldx

[41]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 8
    the japanese version  is way better. 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gunner_yuna123

[42]Aug 28, 2006
    • level: 13
    kelly1313 wrote:
    I grew up watching the english dubbed version, so i'd say dubbed.

Hey I grew up on the dub but I like the orginal japanese version better and it makes more sense.

deltasong

[43]Sep 10, 2006
    • level: 5
    I've been watching the japanese version on youtube and I have been well and truly convinced that they are way way better!! for example... the season finale in the first season is SOO badly edited; they managed to edit an entire 50 mins into 23! and all the dramatic bits between mamoru and usagi are completely dimmed. That's only one example, but you get my drift.

I started out watching the english versions, and they are really good. i just cant stand usagi's voice! grrr! soo annoying lol!

And I found it really easy to adjust to calling the characters by their japanese names. I never have to choose between usagi and serena because i automatically think usagi! hehe!

oh! have you guys seen episode 200? THe last ep? it is SOOOO good! I was on the ground balling! lol!

TeamRose

[44]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 5
    The Japanese version is way better. In the first season the English dub version the cancelled out a lot of episodes (episode 2 for example where Umino (Melvin) wants to date Usagi (Serena)) they didn't show this because they felt Melvin flipping up shirts was in appropriate.

The English dub version made a lot of errors with the editing a lot of scenes where skipped because the editors felt this scene weren't significant to show and rather use that time to fit in commercials. The majority of the dialogue was swicth around to make it sound more kid friendly.

Some of the charters characteristic where change to once again to make the show more kid friendly (e.g Sailor Neptune and Uranus relationship with each other making them cousin instead of lovers, covering of the fact that Rei gra mpa is a pervert, and finally my favorite making Zoiste into a woman).

I think if they should ever try to re-due the English dub again here what I like them to do.

1. Leave everything the way it was from the original Japanese version; the death scenes, Usagi drinking alcohol, Uranus & Neptune relationship, the foul language, the slapping and hitting, the original Japanese dialogue, the episodes they never showed, Zoiste being a man and anything I might have missed saying, just show it all because it's not fair that the United States fans should only get a half ass version of Sailor Moon.

2. Show the series late at night that way the editors don't worry that some kids may watch the series think it's just some kids cartoon and rate it for teens and up that way the parents can put a lock on the show if they don't want their children to be expose to it what ever happens after that its all on the parent

3. I guess the character can retain their English version name either way its good

4. I would like to see the original english cast re-due this undited version (they did a good as the voices)

5. I want them to sing the Sailor Moon theme with the Japanese dialogue.

That's pretty much it.

Jouai

[45]Feb 16, 2007
    TeemerDJ wrote:
    Do yall like the original Japanese Version or the Dubbed American Version better??

I like the Dubbed American version better.

OMG, I love the original version, DEFINITELY...wow...LoL ^_^

ERIC11940

[46]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 7

English dubed version. I'm not mostly a Japanese fan on the japanese show I see in USA. Just the USA show that were dubed in Japanese.

The Sailor Moon english dubed version is were I enjoyed watching 12 years back. You don't how cool the classic & R SM dubeds music has.

Edited on 02/17/2007 7:37am

Janet_07

[47]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 2
    I prefer the Japanese version, because of lots of reasons, first of all Usagi (Serena) hasn't got an annoying voice in the Japanese version i cant stand her vioce in the Dubbed version. I like the music in the Jap version and i think they shud've just translated the Japanese music version to english, the word are much better. also i got to learn some Japanese words lolo     Baka = it means idiot in Japanese
    Edited on 02/18/2007 8:12am

EdwardoMario16

[48]Jun 27, 2007
    • level: 10
    gunner_yuna123 wrote:
    You stupid dubbies!!! They made Michiru & Haruka cousins when they are realy gay!!

And your point is?

The Japanese turned the Powerpuff Girls into just three random girls who got superpowers rather than powerful superheroine sisters born from a chemical explosion in the original show.

With that said. The Jap version is cool and has a lot more to see, but the dub will always hold a special place in my heart. I grew up watching it. The theme song is memorable, and without it, us Americans probably would've never even seen or heard of Sailor Moon, let alone the Jap version.

gunner_yuna123

[49]Jul 1, 2007
    BUt PPGZ is a desent hommage to the orginal. But at some points it was disapointing to the story.

mz2005

[50]Jul 3, 2007
    • level: 6
    English dub. Hands down.

MonkeyAngel341

[51]Jul 10, 2007
    • level: 1
    I like the dubbed english one better. Its just because i don't really like reading subtitles =P

ShinyStar

[52]Jul 12, 2007
    I chose the original aka the Japaness version, I grow up with the english version but I like more the japaness more.

Linnzy

[54]Jul 9, 2008

Allways the Original Jap. sub.

I don't like the voices or name choices in american dub.

In Sweden they stated that they couldn't tell by the original voice of Zoicite if it was a He or She so they made him a She, personally I think they did it because they didn't want little kids to think that boys who loves boys ar okey, that or they were afraid ofthe moms!!! When the episode with Usagi trying to loose weight was aired, the company was phoned by a massive of angry moms! So when they decided to re-air the season, they erased that episode... (they took away alot of epis over here ;(

However, I never noticed that Zoicite originally was a man untill I read it on internet, I didn't reflected over the fact that "she" didn't have any breasts...I just thought that she was supposeed tio look like the other generals and therefore wore the same outfit....

DarkNinja1994

[55]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 27
    I like English, just so I don't have to read the subtitles.

Gaby8529

[56]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 24

gunner_yuna123 wrote:
    BUt PPGZ is a desent hommage to the orginal. But at some points it was disapointing to the story.

Decent? lol. that was funny....

Anyway, I like both. the dub isn't as bad as people said and I been re-watching yesterday a few episodes.

ERIC11940

[57]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 7
    Japanese

AnimeCake

[58]Aug 23, 2008
    • level: 6

The dub doesn't stand a chance >=}

The dub was meant for younger viewers, which means that a lot of the original humor was lost because it was "unsuitable" for kids, and it seems like they wanted to wipe out all traces of Japan and Japanese culture. Anyone who likes Sailor Moon and anime in general, and who has never seen the original Japanese version, should definitely look into it.

cherrygirl17

[60]Sep 30, 2008
    I like both versions and I am Japanese American.