A Salem Community
Sunday on WGN America

For a brand-new series on a mysterious, largely unknown network, WGN America's Salem pulled in some pretty surprising numbers on Sunday.

The Shane West-led drama set during the historic witch trials in the titular town drew 2.3 million total viewers over four combined telecasts (read my review of the premiere right here!). The premiere broadcast at 10pm pulled in 1.5 million viewers, and 647,000 adults in the 18- to 49-year-old demographic, which is notable since the network covers only 62.3 percent of the U.S. and is available in just 72 million homes. The use of witchcraft has not yet been ruled out as an explanation for these numbers.

BBC America's sci-fi series Orphan Black, which stars Tatiana Maslany (and Tatiana Maslany, Tatiana Maslany, Tatiana Maslany, and Tatiana Maslany) didn't perform nearly as well in comparison. 

Saturday's Season 2 premiere only recorded 785,000 total viewers once replays were factored in. The original telecast brought in 620,000 total viewers and 391,000 viewers in the 18- to 49-year-old demo. That's a 97 percent increase among adults 18 to 49, and double the series' Season 1 average, but proves that even with all the critical praise the show has received, Orphan Black remains a cult hit and did not rocket to widespread popularity between seasons as fans hoped it would.

Elsewhere on cable, ratings for FX's Fargo's debut are not quite as modest as originally reported last week. The series premiere jumped 68 percent from 2.65 million to 4.46 million viewers once the time-shifted Live + 3-day viewings were recorded. In multi-telecast viewings, that number rose to 6.38 million total viewers, up from 4.15 million for Live Same Day viewing.

Did you check out Salem or Orphan Black this weekend?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/25/2017

Season 3 : Episode 10

52 Comments
Comments (52)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Orphan Black
Flag
If you frequent TV.com you may know that I am obsessed with Orphan Black. That being said, the ratings reveal doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, if anything I'm surprised that it doubled its ratings and increased by 97% in the key demo. I was expecting an uptick for sure, but not by those margins. The fans have been very vocal, yes. The Orphan Black Facebook page since the S2 premiere date was announced has been posting up a storm, which has its merits. However, without proper advertising from BBC America and broad availability of Season 1 how are people supposed to know about the show? You can't expect to exponential grow and have stellar ratings without garnering *new* fans. Awards hype helped, and so did all of the #cloneclub stuff, but I can't recall seeing even 1 single solitary commercial for the show apart from teaser trailers on TV.com, the IMDB page, and social media (which I wouldn't have seen if I wasn't already following accounts because I'm already a fan). Apart from Orphan Black, I don't watch BBC America, so they could have aired commercials there, but no where else on cable did I see any advertising, nor did I see any paid promoting on social media (which with the younger audience that watches would've been smart), which IMO is an epic fail.
More+
Flag
Orphan black is a brilliant show that deserves to to know and watched by all.
Flag
*applauds* Good job, Salem. Best "witch" project I have seen in some time.
Flag
Why would a good show ever get good ratings? In this day and age, it's all about the bombast, and although Orphan Black is awesome, it's a little understated, and not all that in-your-face with its awesomeness. It doesn't have nudity, there are no dragons, and it severely lacks sociopathic meth cooking.
Flag
The only TV show I know which performs well on Saturday is Doctor Who. That's it.

Maybe it would be prudent for BBC America to move OB on Sunday, against Once Upon a Time or The Simpsons. I think the show would have a chance to fare better there.

Regardless... a whole lot of people are missing out.
Flag
It would be prudent to move Orphan Black on Sunday; one of the most coveted days for tv? I love this show but I don't think it's mainstream enough to stand any chance, especially when it will be against those two!
Flag
Frak Sundays. Too much on that day!
Flag
Oh come Orphan Black is awesome! people from all over should watch this awesome show!
Flag
Orphan Black is indeed awesome! It was an instant cult hit from episode 1! It's now starting to get worldwide attention; even in places like Cyprus. I guess is only its home, America that simply doesn't 'get it'.
Flag
Even though the ratings are mediocre, Orphan Black is at least getting world wide syndication now. It is already available(or will be available) in France, Australia, New Zealand, Latin America, Korea, Finland, Denmark, Belgium, the UK and India.
Flag
***Very light spoiler***
Fargo was great but if they keep the head count throughout the series there will be nobody left in town at the end of the season!
Orphan Black amazing, like the first season. Choices made by BBC America are indeed weird: Saturday Easter weekend, Amazon steaming (really?).
Flag
This Easter thing doesn't make sense. Salem also premiered this weekend did it not? Also, if anyone decides not to air my TV shows because it's some stupid religion's no-day-off-from-work holiday (ie, not a holiday), I will hunt them down and play reruns of Starcrossed outside their window at full volume until they rethink their ways.
Flag
Did anyone really think Orphan Black airing on a Saturday on BBC America was going to be anything other than a cult hit? I mean how many households even get BBC America? If it weren't for Top Gear I wouldn't have paid extra for it in the first place. I'd like to know if it is doing well relative to network expectations. It deserves to double season 1 numbers.
Flag
Exactly, premiering the new season on Saturday night and during the Easter weekend is a totally dumb move. For show that probably skews quite young in terms of audience, that eliminates all the people going out/away on a holiday weekend... Geez!
There is an upside at the show being a BBC America coproduction with Canada (I believe) and that its renewal may be less dependent on US ratings, which granted on BBC Am will never be as good as they could have been on another network
Flag
From what I've read, Orphan Black is now BBC America's second most watched show, after Doctor Who. That doesn't seem too bad, really.
Flag
Well that's just sad. Is BBC America part of basic cable in the States? Maybe if Orphan Black was in FX, or AMC, or even Syfy, it might have had higher ratings. In Canada, it is aired on our science fiction themed channel(Space).
Flag
It's not in the basic packages, just the higher premium ones. I think it may have a smaller audience than WGN does, which would make its ratings increase far more impressive.
Flag
I wouldn't want SyFy to get it, because they'd have canceled it already!
Flag
Same for Fox!!
Flag
Very true indeed!
Flag
Nope. on my system, it's part of a higher priced package.
I'm not paying extra money just to simply add commercials to a show I already watch anyway

If they added it to my package, I'd be cool with watching some of 'em, but they didn't, so I'm not
Flag
I really liked Salem and will definitely continue to watch. I absolutely LOVED Fargo. Amazing show and knew nothing about having never seen the film. I watched all of the first season of Orphan Black. I think it's ok, but nothing really special (except for the amazing acting of Tatiana). I don't really understand all the hype. However, it's good enough to continue to watch.
Flag
I think Orphan Black needed to be more available before this season premiered. If it had been on Netflix for the last 10 months or so I think they might have seen a bigger ratings bump, it was only recently released on Amazon for streaming. When I told many people about the show last year most people's first question was if it was on Netflix or where they could watch it. Orphan Black especially is a show you should watch from the beggining.
Flag
Orphan Black sucks. I don't get the praise ... (from people or critics, the show is unwatchable)

ANYWAY, Salem was just okay. I was expecting better.
Flag
C'mon United Statesers. We've had this discussion. Don't you let one of my favourite shows get cancelled. Get yourself a Nielsen whatdayacallit and partake of the Orphan Black viewing experience. I can't do it for you!
Flag
How does that work for cordcutters? :P
Flag
I fail to understand how we need the Neilsen ratings system when we have the NSA.
Flag
Salem was really bad for the first half. Got better in the 2nd half but they will lose most people if they don't give a storyline next time.

On the other hand, Orphan Black is one of the most compelling shows on TV if for nothing else watching Tatiana play 5 different characters in an episode.
Flag
97 percent increase and that is NOT GOOD!!! as for Salem I lost interest after 30 minutes!! ORPHAN BLACK IS MUCH BETTER!!!
Flag
I'm surprised that Orphan Black didn't do all that well, especially considering the rave reviews that seemingly everyone on the internet has for it. I'm glad that Salem did well though. It was a fun show and I hope it gets a second season.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members