Salute Your Shorts Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 1992)

Why did it get canceled?

stevenson9

[1]Oct 5, 2005
    • level: 7
    I remember watching this gem back in the golden age of Nickelodeon, you know the time where mixed their schedule up and the shows didn't suck. That gem is Salute your Shorts. It was a brilliant show. But, the one thing that I can't get from this show is that even though the kids on the show got awards for their performing on the show, it got axed after 26 episodes. I looked through the internet for an answer but came up empty. I would like to know why Salute your shorts got cancel or your opinions on what you think the reason why Nick canceled SYS.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ImmaculatePimp

[2]Oct 9, 2005
    • level: 5
    Just like why ever other nick show got cancelled......cuz nickelodeon turned evil

stevenson9

[3]Oct 9, 2005
    I just want a reason because I have never gotten a clear reason as to why a show that was winning critical praise during its time would get axed.

DrGreene422

[4]Oct 22, 2005
    • level: 12
    Why? You want an answer? It's pure and simple. Crap sells, and quality doesn't. That's why Nickelodeon became retarded after 1994. They axed awesome shows like 'Salute Your Shorts', 'Hey Dude', 'Welcome Freshmen', 'Clarissa Explains It All' and 'Pete & Pete', and replaced them all with total crap that couldn't entertain a monkey with down syndrome. Shows like 'Sponge Bob', 'Fairly Odd Parents', and the like, have destroyed Nickelodeon. What used to be one of my favorite channels became completely unwatchable ten years ago, and it's not fair. They could have at least set up an "Old School Classic Nick" channel to keep us Nickelodeon veterans happy. But no, they won't do that. Why? Because crap sells, and quality doesn't.

Scummbuddy

[5]Oct 23, 2005
    Don't group any of Butch Hartman's work with "crap". His shows are one of the only saving graces of current Nick.

DrGreene422

[6]Oct 24, 2005
    Sorry, but if you were around in the mid to late 80's, you'd realize that there are no saving graces of current Nick.

stevenson9

[7]Nov 1, 2005
    scummbuddy you should get pimp slapped DrGreen makes a little sense. Scumm you are calling the fairly odd parents and Danny Phantom good? What the hell is wrong with you. They are both practically the same show and are just as stupid as the shows on now. And yet for some reason kids watch this crap. DrGreen you are not completly wrong but you have to be some massive retart not to see how great and fresh the show was at the time. All Nick has become is a second rate version of the cartoon network and when you don't have any other shows to move the network in the right direction, you get a network that loops its repeats constantly and is probably one of the biggest network screw-ups next to MTV.

DrGreene422

[8]Nov 14, 2005
    Sorry, but you're wrong. There is nothing "fresh" or "hip" about today's Nickelodeon. It's all stupid crap. All of it. Anybody who argues to the contrary is either really young or really foolish, or a combination of the two. And by the way...if you plan to call someone a "retard," at least get the spelling right. It's kind of hard for someone to take an insult to their own intelligence seriously if the person dispensing the insult can't even spell it.

petewrigley

[9]Nov 16, 2005
    • level: 45
    DrGreene422 wrote:
    Why? You want an answer? It's pure and simple. Crap sells, and quality doesn't.

Way too true. Not only for the Nick channel but for stuff in general. For example, I go to Target one day to see if they have any of the Nick Rewind Collection. The only stuff being sold was crap like Wonder Woman, Lois and Clark, and The Dukes of Hazard-- all shows that became popular through new shows like I Love the 80's and movie releases of the show. BOO!

stevenson9

[10]Nov 17, 2005
    Green I never called you a retard, I'm calling each and every moron who considers the shows on this network to be any good a retard. The only thing that I criticized you for was your quote "crap sells and quality don't". If the shows were crap then they would have cancelled most of them by now. But it is not the case, considering that this is no longer a network for 13-14 year old preteens but for kids 5-12. PS Sorry for misspelling retard.

darklordavaitor

[11]Nov 17, 2005
    • level: 21
    nick only put pete and pete and clarissa out to shut up the fans who wanted to see the again,and only them because they are the most requested.they won't listen to the others,in fact,the other reason those 2 came out is because they were shown to another audience on the n.so that's why.

stevenson9

[12]Nov 22, 2005
    And Salute your shorts is never requested.

darklordavaitor

[13]Nov 22, 2005
    another reason that sys may neer get a release is that they might be picking commericasucesses.clarissa and pete and pete were popular and sold stuff,so that's why they're made.sys didn't even get a third season,so you could expect why it may never get a dvd.neither will hey dude,roundhouse,and sure as hell not my brother and me.ayaotd,ycdtotv,and alex mack probably will,because they were popular.all that never really made anything,but will probably come,because it is now a main stable of the channel.so listen to what i say:don't get your hopes up.

stevenson9

[14]Nov 27, 2005
    all that info is awesome but it doesn't answer the question on why did salute your shorts get cancelled.

darklordavaitor

[15]Nov 27, 2005
    oh,because nick decdide that sys wasn't popular enough to continue,that nick needed more nicktoons,and not live action shows like this,hey dude,clarissa,pete and pete,my brother and me,and others,because out of all of those shows,only clarissa and pete and petye become popular,or so they think,when all of the nicktoons at the time became huge.that's why,i think.

13th_rei

[16]Nov 29, 2005
    • level: 8
    Man I miss a lot of those shows. I don't think Danny Phantom is crap but I don't love SponeBob and Fairly Odd Parents as much as I use to. I'm getting the distinct feeling that a lot of the more resent shows are lacking in, well everything. It's not just Nick a lot of other networks are suffering from the same alment. It's a very dark age for TV programing.

stevenson9

[17]Nov 29, 2005
    No, its been dark for five years now. The problem is is that these nicktoons use the same joke over and over and over again. It sucks as it is that the network is constantly saturating the channel with toons but nothing is in those toons are fresh nor innovative. SYS was set in a camp, no other show set it at camp. Clarisa was a show set in a time when grunge was popular, no other show did that. Pete and Pete was set in a town where you had characters you would never see on any other show. What Nick has got to realise is that it is a network. Be creative. Take a risk with a couple of innovative, different shows. If it doesn't work, then throw in a nicktoon or put one of your classic shows in that cancelled show's timespot. Just stop relying on the same stupid one dimenisional idea over and over again just to make a quick buck.

darklordavaitor

[18]Nov 30, 2005
    another thing that both generations did that pissed me off is that they used 50's sterotypes about school,espiecally in ned's declassifed.i mean,there are no bullies,the cafateria food isn't that bad,we haven't called it gym in years,not everyone at school lives in the same neighborhood,there is new football in middle school,and noone goes to the dances.

stevenson9

[19]Nov 30, 2005
    Any stereotype from any decade is still a stereotype. Stereotypes are like Nickelodeon's condoms, they prevent them from getting the HIV known as the FCC. What the dudes at Nick and the FCC should do is curl up and die.

sweetkisstiff

[20]Dec 5, 2005
    • level: 1
    something i'm surprized no one has menchioned(sorry i know my spelling is bad) is all the shows on Nick are reruns nows!! It's very annoying. When i was little I don't remeber seeing the same epiodses of salute your shorts or clarissa explains it all over and over again. I will admit the shows on Nick aren't that bad, but there reruns and i hate it!!! I have better things to do then watch the same thing over and over and over again.