Salute Your Shorts Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 1992)

Why did it get canceled?

stevenson9

[21]Dec 7, 2005
    • level: 7
    Well, Nick lacks a daytime schedule. They tried to get something together with Double Dare 2000 but they decided to slap it all together and cross their fingers. It blew up in their face and now they don't want to take another risk with the daytime scheduling. Instead of cowering back to their holes, they should actually try to do better and bring some life back into the network. I mean it is pretty pathetic when you are showing repeats of a show that has only made seven episodes (Danny Phantom) three times a day.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

darklordavaitor

[22]Dec 17, 2005
    • level: 21
    if i had a show like this,i would have never cancelled it.

danny72688

[23]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 1
    My personal opinion for why this show got canceled is because Nickelodeon turned into a bunch of pu$$ies. If you remember, Nick is a branch of MTV, and was geared towards young adults, or teenagers. Now, all these cartoon shows started coming out (not Rocko or Ren and Stimpy, but dumb ones like new Rugrats and others I don't even know the names to 'cause they suck so bad), and the target audience got younger and younger and is now at about 9 or 10 years old when it was 15-19 years old back in the ninties. So Nickelodeon canceled all their ballsy shows like Salute Your Shorts because they were changing their target audience. Those awesome shows, for example: Welcome Freshman, Salute Your Shorts, Clarissa Explains it All, Pete & Pete, original cast of All That, and many others were canceled because they are inappropriate for their new intended audience. It had nothing to do with lack of viewers. I remember seeing reruns for those shows almost clear through the millenium, then they started fading away. They were also aired in select times when younger kids would most likely not be watching. In the future, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of those shows appear on Nick at Night. They play Full House and Fresh Prince, those shows have been canceled for only 10 years or so, so maybe we'll see this on Nick at Night in the future. Cross your fingers. By the way, Season 1 of this show is due out soon, it's been announced, I also think Are You Afraid of the Dark? is due out also.

stevenson9

[24]Dec 23, 2005
    Danny, your answer makes some sense, but the audience back then was 13-14 years old. I wouldn't call Nickelodeon pu$$ies but more like sellouts. I hate sellouts more because unlike pu$$ies who cancel shows out of fear of criticism, sellouts cancel because they want to do it and don't give a crap what the watchers of the network think. Nick used to be one of the first pre-teen networks, now it is just a network pertaining to the kids. I mean its not like kids don't have any other options with Disney and Cartoon Network, but the pre-teens were left in the dust with nothing.

danny72688

[25]Dec 31, 2005
    • level: 1
    Yeah, sell outs is a better word. Another thing I've noticed is that generally, most Nick shows only last a few seasons for whatever reason even now. Guess they're trying to keep it "fresh".

stevenson9

[26]Dec 31, 2005
    Well, they wouldn't need to keep changing their shows if they didn't keep on rerunning these shows everyday. What they need is an afternoon schedule for the weekdays. That way they wouldn't have to loop their shows constantly.

dougbranches

[27]Jan 20, 2006
    • level: 2
    I used to think the show was canceled because no one was watching it but anytime classic Nickelodeon is brought up, one of the few shows that EVERYONE remembers and loved is this one. You'll have the group of people old enough to remember YCDTOTV, and then you'll have the ones who didn't start watching until later and only remember stuff like Rugrats or Rocko's Modern Life or what have you.

Salute Your Shorts was after YCDTOTV and before the Nicktoons, right in the transitionary period of Nickelodeon, or at least what I consider the transitionary period. Because of this it seems a lot of fans remember this show above all others.

The main reason Nickelodeon didn't want to continue on with this show (as well as Hey Dude, Welcome Freshman and possible others) is most likely that these shows weren't being shot at Nickelodeon Studies in Florida, rather it was somewhere else in the country and was becoming too much trouble and not enough benefits when it comes to ratings and marketability. So they went to more projects that could be done right at Nickelodeon Studies in Florida. Admittedly I don't even know how much of that is accurate but I remember reading numerous times a few years ago at one of the Nickelodeon nostalgia sites. It's definately a possible scenario. At the least I think we can all agree the ratings were not spectacular, otherwise they probably could have made a new set at Nickelodeon Studios and continued with it.

stevenson9

[28]Jan 21, 2006
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 01/21/2006 11:29am

stevenson9

[29]Jan 21, 2006
    Well, what numbers constitutes cable shows as having big ratings.

Scummbuddy

[30]Feb 20, 2006
    DrGreene422 wrote:
    Sorry, but if you were around in the mid to late 80's, you'd realize that there are no saving graces of current Nick.

Heh... If you were referring to me, then you're incorrect. I am 22 and definitly grew up with YCDTOTV, and the rest of the Nick line-up. I had my crush on Melody on Hey Dude, and was actually scared by the opening of Are you Afraid of the Dark.

I still stand by my original statement that Danny Phantom and FOP are very good, and I must add that Jimmy Newtron is good as well. I'm also partial to sixteen.

------------
    Still, like I've said before If I owned Nick, I would fix it so that the seperate station "TV Land" be the only Nick at Night, and make the real 10pm-6am Nick at Nite be for airing classic shows.

I totally want other things to watch at 2something in the morning when Adult Swim insists on playing crap like 12oz mouse, Tom goes.., and Perfect Hair.

stevenson9

[31]Feb 22, 2006
    No, I was refering to Dougbranches. But while your hear, DP and FOP are the same show except for the names of the characters. Lets say these shows are like a chair and you have a button in front of you that makes the chair vibrate. Sure its fun for a while but then you get bored from the same vibrating motion. As far as Neutron goes, it's just a 3-D version of the much better Dexter's Labratory. And considering it's a science show, how come when he goes into outer space, he can breathe? I mean I would like to know why you make a show about a boy who is great at science when you don't even apply the laws of science to the damn show. I respect your opinion, don't get me wrong, but these shows suck.

KingOfQueenz84

[32]Feb 24, 2006
    • level: 3
    Scummbuddy wrote:
    I am 22 and definitly grew up with YCDTOTV, and the rest of the Nick line-up. I had my crush on Melody on Hey Dude, and was actually scared by the opening of Are you Afraid of the Dark.

Thats so funny, because I am the same age as you and had the same feelings!!! Had a crush on Melody, and the opening of Are You Afraid of the Dark would scare me. Especially the part when the camera passes the clown statue or whatever it is. I hate clowns! I also had a crush on Heidi Lucas from SYS and then later on Alisa Reyes from All That
    Edited on 02/24/2006 11:23am

Scummbuddy

[33]Feb 27, 2006
    That damn doll... the first season, I would turn my head away from the screen everytime... and I'd freak out if I forgot to.
    ---------
    Stevenson-
    I did like your last post. It made me laugh. About JimmyN... its a show for kids. Rugrats can't really talk. It's just a cartoon, but I suppose they should at least try to teach kids that breathing in space is a no-no.

The first time I saw Jimmy in space, I agree, I didn't like that they weren't contained, but I got over it, and enjoy the show moderately. I am impressed with their production schedule. As a 3d animator, I am impressed with what they can get done in a relatively short time of production, and come out with a pretty darn good show.

DF and FOP, are similar in style, yes, but they definitly cover different age groups and what sterotypical children that age deal with... and then add either magic, or ghosts... I hope kids these days don't really deal with that, or I'm way out of touch. Yes, both shows have to deal with not letting the parents find out their secret or "basically the show is over". But I believe that both shows are fundamentally different, mostly because of the age groups represented.

But, I also respect your opinion.

Jaddogg

[34]Mar 10, 2006
    • level: 2
    To answer the guys question i think it would be like this

It seemed nick at the time was switching over to alot of game shows and wanted to invest money into that thus cutting costs for superior shows as sys

stevenson9

[35]Mar 11, 2006
    Scumm, a. What types of kids appeal to DP and FOP? and b. At least admit that JimmyN ripped off from Dexter's Labratory.

Jaddogg, do you remember figure it out? That was the show when after you won the first round they gave you crap from previously better game shows that were cancelled. I mean for god sake, they gave away tiles from the double dare set. In my opinion, it is more expensive to do a game show then a Salute your Shorts because not only are you paying for the crew to get your show on the air, you have to pay for the prizes for the contestants to win. Back in 86 and 87, Double Dare barely had a budget back then. It was successful because it made a profit each year. But in 93, they got a bigger budget. And because the expectations weren't as high as there budget, DD got killed.

darklordavaitor

[36]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 21
    stevenson9 wrote:
    they gave away tiles from the double dare set.

not to mention the snick couch.

cookmefoodnow

[37]May 17, 2006
    • level: 10
    Why did it get canceled? Because Nick got rid of everything that was good and filled it with a bunch of crap. No more stick stickly, no more looney toons. Thats right I cant even watch that except for when it is on cartoon network. And instead of just cancelling Are you afraid of the dark? they turn that into a crap show that everyone forgot about. GRRRR

Scummbuddy

[38]May 19, 2006
    Stick Stickley was a bunch of crap. Thanks for reminding me at that early hinting at crap on Nick. I wanted to punch the TV everytime he said "Simmer Down".

JDsBaBiiGiiRL

[39]Jun 6, 2006
    • level: 4
    I'm upset at the fact that all the great shows got cancelled, but the new shows aren't that bad. I don't like the fact that when I go to sit down and watch a show with my boyfriends daughter it's one that she's watched 5 or 6 times already. They need to get more episodes out!

p9804194

[40]Jun 6, 2006
    • level: 23
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 06/06/2006 8:20pm
    Edited 2 total times.