Salute Your Shorts Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 1992)

Why did it get canceled?

BlingBlingLOL

[41]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 8
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 08/10/2006 9:11pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

suchalady1

[42]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 17
    Because Nick only shows CRAP now. Whenever Nick has anything good, they cancel it. Nick needs to take all of their good and cancelled shows and put them on their own 24 hour network like they did with the Nicktoons and the game shows. I can see these shows on a 24 hor network
    1. Clairssa EIA
    2. TAO Pete and Pete
    3. Kenan and Kel
    4. Mystrey Files of Shelby Woo
    5. Are you afraid of the Dark?
    6. Salute your shorts
    7. Taina
    8. All That (the original)
    9. YCDTOTV
    10. hey dude
    11. Caitlin's Way
    12. Secret World of Alex Mack
    13. My brother & me
    14. Caitlin's way
    15. Journey of Allen Strange
    Now That would make a great tv station and If they did or ever do, I want to see each show's whole series, not just a select number of episodes like they do on Nicktoons network

missjessikad

[43]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 2
    I used to love Nick, and Nick at night with all the oldies. It would be great if they brought it back but would people really watch it? They market to their target audience.

usarmysprincess

[44]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 5

stevenson9 wrote:
    all that info is awesome but it doesn't answer the question on why did salute your shorts get cancelled.

heres my reason i think all the good shows got cut...location...example hey dude was cut because they put there productions in florida and it was filmed on location so they said bye bye to that....example 2....changed location again to cali and new york...no more nick studios..no more game shows or any of the good shows like salute your shorts....and in general i guess it was viacom took over nick or something like that so they turned it upside down...they suck and so does the new nick....gimme a break they need to go back to florida and do whats right and get these kids watchin some good tv...ugh it makes me so mad!

usarmysprincess

[45]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 5

stevenson9 wrote:
    all that info is awesome but it doesn't answer the question on why did salute your shorts get cancelled.

heres my reason i think all the good shows got cut...location...example hey dude was cut because they put there productions in florida and it was filmed on location so they said bye bye to that....example 2....changed location again to cali and new york...no more nick studios..no more game shows or any of the good shows like salute your shorts....and in general i guess it was viacom took over nick or something like that so they turned it upside down...they suck and so does the new nick....gimme a break they need to go back to florida and do whats right and get these kids watchin some good tv...ugh it makes me so mad!

Invader_K

[46]Feb 9, 2007
    • level: 13

I couldn't agree more with the notion that crap sells and quality doesn't, especially with all the crap they put on TV these days.

I remember all the classic Nick shows, and yeah, I get nostalgic. But then again, you also have to remember that nothing lasts forever. Had "Salute Your Shorts" continued for, say, maybe another five years or so, it would have likely lost its luster and would have had to be cancelled due to plummeting ratings. Much of the classic Nick shows ended all too soon, but at least they ended on a high note.

On a side note, I definitely think that the creation of a "Classic Nick" channel is an order. I mean, they already have the all Nicktoons network and the Nick Sports network--what the hell?!

randomhero1617

[47]Mar 17, 2007
    • level: 1
    yeah all nick shows now is crap like drake and josh. i was even a little younger than you guys when these shows were on and i watched them all the time they were my favorites and it sucks that they were cancelled. you can still see a few of the game shows like GUTS and legends of the hidden temple on Nick GAS but no others its so gay they need to get a channel where they play only stuff from the early 90's. i bet if there was enough of a demand from the public it could happen. its not like they couldn't take one of those crappy nick channels and change it to like NICK 90's or something clever like that. My brother and me was the absolute best show. i loved GOO or whatever his name was he was hilarious.

Halo2_Norad

[48]Apr 3, 2007
    What would be a great idea is to bring back Salute Your Shorts and call it "Salute Your Shorts: The New Generation" and have some campers from the original cast be consalors. You would bring back Budnick, Donkylips, Pinsky, ZZ, Dina and Telly to be consolers, and have Ug be the new Camp Director. You would also have a new cast of campers to. That would be my dream. Oh that would be a sweet show.

Invader_K

[49]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 13

Halo2_Norad wrote:
    What would be a great idea is to bring back Salute Your Shorts and call it "Salute Your Shorts: The New Generation" and have some campers from the original cast be consalors. You would bring back Budnick, Donkylips, Pinsky, ZZ, Dina and Telly to be consolers, and have Ug be the new Camp Director. You would also have a new cast of campers to. That would be my dream. Oh that would be a sweet show.

Good idea!

doosky2k

[50]Apr 17, 2007

Halo2_Norad wrote:

Sorta like Degrassi: The Next Generation, where the kids from the original degrassi show who attended Degrassi now teach there, and their children go to that school, and the best thing with this show is it's the same actors.

If the actors would do it, a new sys would be an awesome show and a great way to bring the old episodes of SYS back on the air.  But Nickelodeon would manage to ruin it somehow.

Bbrit1776

[51]Jul 13, 2007
    • level: 9
    does anyone know where i can buy salute your shorts on dvd for a cheaper price. all of the seasons.

karategurl96

[52]Jun 28, 2010

I'm 14 and I love Salute Your Shorts, I watch the episodes on Youtube. I agree with everyone here that most of the shows on Nickelodeon now are awful. The majority of the shows on Nickelodeon and other channels involve the characters being incredibly famous for one reason or another-- it worked sometimes, like with The Naked Brothers Band (I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but that was one of my favourite shows when I was younger and they were my first favourite band), but seriously, it's just getting old now. One of the great things about these 90 Nick shows is that they were actually realistic (for the most part, lol). I'd be glad to see the old shows come back for re-runs! The current shows on Nick are too repetitive in the sense that they're being aired waaaaay too much. It's either iCarly or Spongebob, all day long. They could use the time to air some of their older shows, definitely.

TheEducator49

[53]May 19, 2011

Production company shut down.

TvWatcha3

[54]Jul 1, 2011
    • level: 7

90's Nick Forever!

The Proud Potato: Exceptionally 90's Nick

BlackTulip009

[55]Aug 23, 2011
    • level: 12
    Thank goodness for "90s Are All That," because that's certainly the case--and it's an answer to the prayers of all us 80s babies/90s kids who grew up during a golden age of entertainment. A small one, perhaps, as a 24-hour network time-warping us back to our childhoods would be the ultimate gift Nick could give us, but this two-hour daily lineup is a beautiful start. However, I disagree that ALL Nick shows since the 90s have sucked. Very rarely are such broad statements true. Many other channels (such as Cartoon Network and OMG, Disney!) and brands, companies, franchises, categories of things, etc., were--in my opinion--better in the past. But that doesn't mean that I immediately shun any new offerings as trash while blindly worshiping *all* that is nostalgic, vintage, or retro (despite my strong fondness for such things.)
    There's usually something halfway decent or some hidden gem to be found somewhere. Frankly, over the past decade I have still watched and enjoyed a good deal of Nickelodeon, even though it's been increasingly losing its luster and slipping further from its former glory. (Thankfully, I guess you can only fall so far before it gets through that something needs to be done to bring back at least a little of the high-quality stuff we all want...) The three strongest shows that basically saved post-90s Nick, again in my opinion, were Spongebob, The Fairly Oddparents, & Jimmy Neutron. Those three are well-made, original cartoons well worth following (seriously, how can one dislike Spongebob?!) Again, I've at least mildly liked other things as well...Back at the Barnyard, for example, amused me frequently. But those three aforementioned series really were the bastions that took the forefront, somewhat upholding the network's integrity. Previously, Nick had had much more varied and well-rounded schedules. The entire 80s/90s feel of the channel, with its wonderfully memorable character hosts and between-show spots and awesome commercials, was regrettably lost. Let's hope the current comeback grows until all really has returned to the way it was...:}