Salute Your Shorts

Sponge Goes to the Movies

Aired Weekdays 3:30 PM Jun 17, 1992 on Nickelodeon

• Sponge's First Date

This actually turned out to be my second favorate episode of the show because it's sweet, romantic, and as usual really funny. Sponge is a character I could easily emphise with because he's sort of the underdog of the bunch. He may have a super amount of gigabites to store universal knowledge in his brain but when it comes to women he doesn't know jack. It is one great mystery of the universe he has yet to explore, with the help of Pinsky. The theme of this episode is on coming of age character evolution, learning to step outside of oneself in order to embrace the many new things to come.

I really like the relationship between both Pinsky and Sponge. In a way Pinsky is sort of like Sponge's id, who is just trying to help Sponge aquire what he needs the most in his life and of course as his friend he comes though. We can emphisize with the fear Sponge harbors, which is not so much because we don't meet the significant others expectations but more like whether the date will go well and whether we'll get shot down or not.

But what I admire is despite Sponge fear, saying no numerous times, and of course getting in trouble for something he didn't do, he doesn't let anything stop he, he goes on. It really shows what strength he truely possesses in his determination, he knows if he doesn't do this he'll never get what he wants and as Pinsky says things will never change.

And Sponge's date doesn't disapoint, who turns out to be cute and both of course have some things in common. The whole episode comes down to one big hillarous scetch comidy action when all of the character and the dates have to play a game of "Metal Gear Solid" in the movie theater from Ug. It was suspensful and really funny I loved the creative places all the kids hid and when Donkey Lipps accidently hid in the Ladies room with Dina. But it all builds up to that first kiss which I'll say is better than any movie.