More Sam and Max bits

pheeph

[1]Nov 10, 2005
    • level: 12
    There's stuff on Mix N Mojo, adventuregamers.com, and samandmax.net that Sam and Max is formally announced by Telltale games. From what I've heard, Steve Purcell plans to put web comics up for Telltale while we wait. Also, in case nobody noticed, Steve Purcell has a somewhat existent Sam and Max website at samandmax.com

Let's hope for the best for Telltale Games
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pheeph

[2]Nov 10, 2005
    hmm.... I seem to be the only one who's trying to stir up a Sam and Max-related discussion...

MonkeyD_basic

[3]Nov 11, 2005
    Well, I'm glad to hear that update. I was pretty unhappy when LucasArts canceled the orignal sequel (and it looked really good and nearly complete!!)

Clearly http://www.samandmax.net/ is the definative source for everything Sam & Max, and ALWAYS carries the most up-to-date news. That is where all the true Sam & Max fans are most often found.

Let's hope the release of this new game will stir up the companies enough to release this series on DVD!

pheeph

[4]Nov 12, 2005
    From what I've heard, LucasArts' Sam and Max sequel was 90% complete. It's believed that the cancellation was also the result of the financial managers' paranoia of spending another amount of money on the box art.

pheeph

[5]Nov 16, 2005
    there seems to be a lot ugly debates from adventuregamers.com and Telltale Games forums about how Sam and Max should be made. There is a bunch of us that want a Sam and Max game in some form (for this group, our impatience gets the best of us). Another group of people want the episodic game to be a self-contained game (such as how a whole episode runs in popular tv shows). Others (who could be really stubborn) want a traditional retail-type adventure game of Sam and Max despite the fact the adventure market seems bleak.

Zanshinkyo

[6]Nov 18, 2005
    • level: 28
    pheeph wrote:
    From what I've heard, LucasArts' Sam and Max sequel was 90% complete. It's believed that the cancellation was also the result of the financial managers' paranoia of spending another amount of money on the box art.

That really bugs me, that it was the cost of the cover art that influence Lucas Arts to cancel the game, and that the game was 90% complete (kind of what I thought from the previews we were shown). While I realize that the newest Harry Potter game or whatever, has a bigger audience (and bigger profits), it sad how many times companies have canceled games which dedicated fans were dying for, and how many of those games were canceled them just before they were ready to be released.

Full Throttle 2 comes to mind.

I really admire Activision, for releasing Enemy Territory for free, after deciding that they weren't going to sell it retail.

pheeph

[7]Nov 22, 2005
    saw this one interview on adventuregamers.com

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,589/

It seems they plan to make Sam and Max 2 more sophisticated than that Bone game they made.

MonkeyD_basic

[8]Nov 30, 2005
    Thanks for the link.

I've only vaguely heard of Bone, and never played it, so I don't really know what kind of game it is, or how it compares to the adventure game style of the original Sam & Max game.

I'm curious to see what they do with the Sam & Max game.
    I'm really hoping we can get a target release date soon!!

pheeph

[9]Dec 9, 2005
    the Telltale Games website just got its first Sam and Max web comic. Also there are T-shirts and signed posters available to order online.

Milli19

[10]Dec 10, 2005
    I heared sam & max was cancelled because lucas arts was too scared to do anything original and this oher company wanted to buy sam and max but lucas arts woulnd't let them for some reason.

pheeph

[11]Dec 11, 2005
    Bad Brain Entertainment tried to buy the Sam and Max code, but that apparently flopped. Lucky for us, Telltale got the Sam and Max license. Remember the Telltale team is the same team that made the LucasArts sequel before cancellation.

Zanshinkyo

[12]Dec 17, 2005
    • level: 28
    I wonder why Bad Brain Entertainment couldn't buy it. I don't think LucasArts has any use for code they don't intend to release.

But I am really glad to hear that it is Telltale who made the original sequel, and will be releasing the next Sam & Max game. Will they be just finishing up the work they had previously done?

While I will take a new Sam & Max game in any form, it always tugs at the back of my mind to know what the unreleased Sam & Max game would have been like. It seemed like the portion they had already completed was quite good.

pheeph

[13]Dec 17, 2005
    They say the Sam and Max game they're making is not the unfinished LucasArts version.

Plus, Bad Brain offered a rather small sum when they tried to buy the code. This is probably the reason...

pheeph

[14]Dec 28, 2005
    Hey, everyone. Here's some news for you on Sam and Max. Telltale has another Sam and Max web comic up. Go and see!
    http://www.telltalegames.com/comics/samnmax/?permalink=790DD2BDDD955DF16CFEADD2830179ED.txt&smm=y

MonkeyD_basic

[15]Dec 31, 2005
    Thanks for letting us know about this.

I didn't understand the concept of web comic at first, as the comic seemed to lack dialogue. Then I found when you roll your mouse over a panel the dialogue appears.

pheeph

[16]Jan 13, 2006
    Third Sam and Max web comic is up

http://www.telltalegames.com/comics/samnmax/?permalink=06E6545E5A2BF1B900BAF7020B42707F.txt&smm=y

pheeph

[17]Jan 24, 2006
    hmm. It seems that Telltale has slightly restructured their site, and has Telltale Arcade.

pheeph

[18]Jan 25, 2006
    Telltale's Sam and Max webcomic #4

http://www.telltalegames.com/comics/samnmax/?permalink=7D859C3721A263046BFE21B266E508A8.txt&smm=y

pheeph

[19]Feb 3, 2006
    umm... the forum seems deserted...
    had to post things to keep this forum alive.

Anyway I'm beginning to believe Telltale is planning the digital download first, then the packaged game for Sam and Max

pheeph

[20]Feb 12, 2006
    new stuff on Sam and Max. Telltale at WonderCon says stuff in this article

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3147959