Samantha Who?

Out of Africa

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Oct 20, 2008 on ABC

• A rocket analogy used to compare Sam's steps to become a better woman

I absolutely loved this episode. As I've mentioned in my last review, it is the Sam-Andrea chemistry that does the comedy trick. And this episode started with one hilarious conversation between them, and of course Dena.

The story essentially talks about Sam's decision to go to Africa in order to help people out there. She later drops her plan when her doctor freaks her out with huge needles and advice on worm bites. However, she is too proud not to reveal this to her parents, and hence, decides to hide at Dena's place. Things get out of control when a war breaks out in Chad, which leaves her parents worried. The comedy associated with the confusion that ensues is part that drove the show.

I found this episode to be more or less the ones in the first season. Well, the concept of portraying dysfunctional families as comedic sequence seems to be working fine for this show. Definitely, a worthwhile show as long as this idea works.
  • Sam pretends to go to Africa.

This episode started at a slow pace, but things eventually started to pick up. Jennifer Esposito continues to be great as the arrogant, loose Andrea and the parents played by Kevin Dunn and Emmy winner Jean Smart stole the show again. Their chemistry is just fantastic and it feels like they've been working together for years.

Barry Watson needs to get more screen time though. Despite being on 7th Heaven for all those years his comedic timing is great and he's been superb on this show thus far. The episode had some logic flaws and some things didn't really tie together (such as the whole rocket thing) but overall it was a fine installment.