Samantha Who?

Pilot

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Oct 15, 2007 on ABC

• Samantha wakes up in hospital with amnesia and then has to piece together her life.

I didn't see this show when it first came out so I thought I'd catch the show up now. And really it is not at all bad. Obviously as this was the pilot episode it was mainly about introducing the charaters. Samantha is well played by Christina Applegate and her mum and dad were quite nicely done too. I also liked Dena her slightly strange friend. Andrea was also quite good, especially in the party scene. I loved the alcoholics anonymous meeting with the cakes. Todd may grow on me, I'll have to see. All in all a good start to a promising comedy - and let's face it we could do with a few decent ones.
  • Interesting idea.

This program was on straight after Desperate Housewives so I decided to give it a go. It has just started here in the UK. I thought that maybe it was the second episode but it turned out to be the pilot.
    I've never seen any of the actors in the program in anything before so I didn't have any expectations.
    For me there was only one laugh out loud moment and this is when Samantha's mother remarked to Samantha's friend something like she should switch drinking arms so that one doesn't get really big.
    I was loosing a little but of interest in the program as it went on because I found it a bit... formulaic.
    It turns out the Samantha prior to the hit-and-run and subsequent amnesia wasn't a very nice person; she was an alcoholic, a cheater and she only had one friend who herself wasn't a very nice person, she also had no relationship to speak of with her parents and her boyfriend had just broken up with her. Discovering all these facts about herself focuses her resolve to change her life for the better and this is a very interesting idea even if it smacks of 13 Going On 30 (which in itself ripped off Big).
    I can see this program could be very good so will continue to watch it.
  • Samantha has amnesia.

People may argue that Samantha Who? is a timeslot hit, but it is different than most comedies on television and it does have a great cast. We are introduced to these outrageous personalities in this pilot episode. Kevin Dunn, best known as Joel Hornick on Seinfeld, and Jean Smart do a great job as the parents. At times they are definitely formulaic, but the same is not always a bad thing.

Barry Watson gives some quality laughs as the male lead, and Jennifer Esposito plays a great stuck-up and man-hungry best friend. Even the overdone fat friend played by Melissa McCarthy does an acceptable job.

Christina Applegate is not exactly the funniest woman in the world, and she's probably hurting this series more than helping it. Yes, she's a sitcom veteran, but you have to wonder if a funnier lead had been chosen if the show would be even better than it is. Samantha Who? certainly got better than this after this pilot, but this was by no means a bad episode.
  • A girl with amnesia has to rebuild her life. OK it sounds a little unoriginal but its done with just the right balance of comedy/charm/cheese to be worth a look or two.

7.8
    Our heroine, Christina Applegate as a bemused Samantha, awakes from her coma to find out be confronted with her worst nightmares..... her parents, boyfriend, friends, even her "lover,", all of who seem to be just as surprised as she is at who wakes up in the hospital bed.

It seems Samantha wasn't exactly an angel before her accident but soon comes to realise that the 'new me' side of her is much more appreciated by the world in general and relies far less of fear and control.

The shows other characters are also teaming with problems, worries, paranoia and hang-up so Sam is likely to find her path ahead fraught with incident. No picture perfect support network on view here, simply people wanting to help and trying to get back a little bit of the Sam they love.

We soon find out that Samantha was a bit of a power driven executive who ruled with an iron fist and smoothed out the wrinkles with a large dose of fear and irony. How will the new Sam fit into the world of the old 'evil' Sam? Only time will tell.

Overall I thought this was a worthy effort - not perfect by a long way but it has a chance. Remove the annoying 'Talk to Camera' and it will gain a mark or two on that alone. The question remains..... Comedy..Charm..or Cheese?

Lets keep our collective fingers crossed.
  • Clueless!

I've been watching "Heroes," and until now I've been catching up on the series starring Christina Applegate. I've finally saw the pilot and I was blown away by the show. Not as blown away as the first episode of "Pushing Dasies." but I love the start of a great series. Samantha wakes up from a coma after a hit and run and can't remember her past. I love applegate's performance as Samamtha. she's appealing to me. I love her performance and I love her period. It's a great start. I hope that will lead to something big. I love the direction of the show so far.
  • Kelly rulez!

I really liked this first episode. I expected the beginning to be different. Normally you would see her "old-self", then she would get hit by the car and fall into coma, and then wake up and the final sequence would be: "who am i?" or something like that. But this beginning was really different and fancy. They didn't stick so long to the actual incident and just moved on to the story. I also found it to be really funny and finally there is a show without the background laughs which is nevertheless funny! Hope the show lasts long becacuse I really like Christina Applegate, she should be seen more often on tv.
  • Samantha wakes up from a coma with no memory. Boy is she lucky.

Imagine you wake up form a coma with no memories of who you are, what your life is like and an unbelievable desire to become a better, an nicer, person.

Take this premise and stir in a mother from hell, a best friend who you quit talking to in junior high school, an alcoholic wing woman who encourages your bad behavior, a live in boyfriend who has tried to break up with you for, well for as long as the script has been in existence and a lover who you has been cheating on your boyfriend with (not to mention his wife).

Sounds like a good idea for a situation comedy, doesn't it? Off that start in this pilot there is hope but I wonder if the writers have put all their gags in this single script.

As for the acting, the cast includes: Christina Applegate as the afore mentioned Samantha, Jean Smart as her mother, Barry Watson as Todd the boyfriend, Jennifer Esposito a the wing woman and Melissa McCarthy as the childhood friend. All have the acting chops to make this series fly. The only question I have is will the writing keep up with the promise and will ABC show the patience with a situation comedy among their prime time lineup of mostly hour long dramas.

Stay tuned!
  • Great beginning! I'll watch again!

This is definatly a show I would watch again and again! I love the way the characters interact, I love the quick comebacks and the wit involved. It certainly makes a person wonder about thier own life and what they would or should change about thier own life. I enjoyed the semi seriousness of it, the humour of it - everything about it! I hope this isn't like the class that gets canceled after just one season - I can see this becomming the new "Friends" or "Will & Grace". My only regret is that it's just a half hour show - I really wish it was an hour long.
  • Interesting!

Samantha wakes up from a coma to find out that she has lost her memory. She meets her parents, her boyfriend, her friends, her "lover," and other people. Apparently, she was a bad person before her incident. Now she wants to change to be a better person.

I really like Barry Watson from 7th Heaven, so it was nice seeing him here. I only got to watch the episode up until it was showing a flashback of when she met Todd, so I don't exactly know how it ended. It looks like a good show and I will give it a 9.0!
  • I found this to be good.

Perhaps it is not saying much, but I will say it anyway. No new sitcom this year has been this good. Back To You, Big Bang Theory, Carpoolers; They all my have had their chuckle moments but this is just better. And don't get me started on Cavemen. With company like that, maybe my opinion of Samantha Who has been tainted. Afterall, I actually laughed during this show. I found it entertaining. Maybe I am just glad to see a sitcom that is actually funny, I dunno yet. All I know is that I will be back for more next week.
  • Samantha Who? Samantha-what-a-great-start-to-a-very-interesting-show-Who?

This pilot i very much injoyed. It showed the flashbacks to when Samantha was a complete witch to anyone and everyone, but it was very funny when it happened. It's very cute when her ex-boyfriend knew just about everything about her, and you could see that falling for him in her eyes. Christina Applegate did a very good job on this character. and that guy from 7th heaven portrade a guy who normally got walked all over but was a guy who didnt want to leave someone he once cared about in the dust. Jennifer Espesitos' character was funny and just showed us how Samantha was before the accident. Mellisa McCarthy i just love from Gilmore Girls so whatever she does i just think she is great at. I hope this show lasts longer than most shows nowadays.