Samantha Who?

The Pill

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Oct 27, 2008 on ABC

7.6
  • Sam takes part in a clinical trial.

This installment was a lot similar to the ones in the first season. There were a lot of funny sequences right from the word go. The frequent switching between the past and the present were well conceived and the visual effects were spot on.

The story kicks off with Sam agreeing to take part in a clinical trial for a pill that would bring back her memory created during her pre-amnesia days. However, the doctor figures out that the memories that come back, though vivid, are fleeting and go away after sometime. The ones which Sam regains (and eventually loses) are jotted down by her in a notebook. This helps her realize the kind of person she was. She also remembers that Todd had proposed to her, and she had blatantly turned him down. When she rushes to apologize to Todd, the memory eventually fades away, leaving her totally clueless when she meets Todd.

I totally enjoyed a lot of parts in this episode. The ones initially, with Regina and Sam at the doctors office were hilarious. I still don't understand why the crew is trying to focus less on Andrea-Sam (or Andrea-Sam-Dena) and focus more on Andrea-Dena. Though, at the moment I feel this is working fine. The lesbian storyline was well dealt with. Overall, a good episode.
  • Samantha discovers that Todd proposed to her.

7.8
    After two average episodes to kick off the sophomore season Samantha Who finally came through with a well-written one. Here we saw Sam take part in a clinical trial for a new drug for amnesiacs only for the trial to be stopped just when she was making some progress.

I really liked the scene with Samantha running to talk to Todd only to forget why when she got there. Really heartbreaking, but more importantly it showed that the writers think this series may have longevity as they are holding off on their eventual reunion.

We had a great guest appearance by Tony Hale (Arrested Development) as the goofy doctor who had a crush on Samantha. Jean Smart was great as usual and Barry Watson was hilarious as well. Anybody else notice some similarities between Todd and Dan Humphrey from Gossip Girl? Andrea was funny as well trying to get a lesbian attracted to her and feeling complimented when Dina said she was ugly on the inside.

Really good episode here.